Official DC United vs MetroStars PRE Match Thread • Atlantic Cup Matchday 3

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I"m very sorry to say this but....I think that in situations like this (play the same team 3 times in a short period), coaching (and the ability to tweak the team, spot weaknesses, design restarts) is a killer. I put down Bradley as the smartest coach in MLS and Hudson as not nearly close.

I think we're far more talented. I think we're playing better. I think we'll have the run of play in these 3 matches. But I expect Metro to find ways to get goals (off of corners and restarts, at the end of the half or match, in OT). All year, that is how they've played and Bradley has them believing. I think Bradley will spot flaws, tendencies, weaknesses and exploit them. And we'll fail to do the same. For once match, that would be embarassing. But to have so many matches in close proximity, if this plays out like I fear it could--it could be a season buster.

I think the scenario for DCU success would be to seize control of the first match early. And also see Guevara pick up a card (so they're short-handed for the future). But I think 0-0 matches going late into the game favor Bradley pulling the right strings and finding a way to grab a late goal.

2. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    It's been said over the long, sometimes dull season. Bradley's great. Hudson sucks.

Well, F Bradley. Now's the time to ruin his reputation. Brains won't mean nearly as much as just running over those b's. F their team, their fans, and everything ever directly associated w/them. The hell with them.

3. CrazyDCFan

CrazyDCFan Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Henan, China
    I've been waiting for this thread Knave....
    WE WILL WIN!
    WWWWWWWIIIIIIIIN!

3-0: goals by Convey, Dema, and Cerritos.
    We will dominate the midfield and shots will be 11-4 us. 5 players sent off.

I hate this team more than I hate any team in any sport.

4. CrazyDCFan

CrazyDCFan Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Henan, China
    I would have to agree....time to buy a case and sit down for a game with some buddies.

5. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3-1 them. we lose soo bad. We play ugly as SHlT and we manage a goal off of a midfield boot from earnie. Just before the midfield line. seeing is that is as far forward as DC comes when we play away.
    so my prediction is DC-1 MetroTwats-3

6. Begbie

Begbie New Member

Mar 10, 2001
    La Barra Brava
    Go buy a metro jersey greatscott, you can stuff that prediction! RIP Metros.

2-1 United

7. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Just ONE case?

8. CrazyDCFan

CrazyDCFan Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Henan, China
    hey that case is for me alone...maybe when I'm done with it I can borrow some from the friends..I am a broke college student.

9. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Hmm, time to rip the Metrodonkeys a "new one"? Ah, what a wonderful time of year!

Thursday: Metroscum 0 - DC United 2

Sunday: DC United 3 - Metroscum 0

Wednesday: DC United 6 - Metroscum -3

Bob Bradley commits hari kari on the sidelines to the great delight of some of the DC United fans... :D

At this point in the season, I just want to win these next three games and then go back to caring about the playoffs! This is all about bringing the HATE! Nothing less that complete and overwhelming victory will be tolerated!

10. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you dont understand my game-plan begbie. its worked so far.
    You do this.
    Always say we are gonna lose because then, you never get sad when we lose because you already knew it would happen. And then when you win, your very pleasently surprised.

11. Begbie

Begbie New Member

Mar 10, 2001
    La Barra Brava
    OK... I got you greatscott. I thought you lost your mind or something. United needs to play with menace not poke its head out of a bunker.
    It's "death or glory."

12. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Beer:good::

Metros:evil
    Bob Bradley:wanker
    Clint Mathis:doublewanker
    Jaime Moreno:hurt
    Kenny Arena:bench
    Steve Jolley:thug
    Mark Lisi:Benedict Arnold
    Richie Williams:bitchass foul
    Johnny Walker:I yelled at him in English in Chile and scared the bejeesus out of him*

*Wanderers had a penalty kick against Colo Colo (Walker was Colo Colo's keeper) and everyone kept telling me to yell something at him in English while the trainers tended to an injured player before the kick so in my slightly hazy and tipsy state I yelled something about his mother and a gratuitous sexual act and he zipped around so fast to look at me it was as if he was in a foreign country and someone yelled flawlessly in his native language about his mother and a gratuitious sexual act.

I hate the Metros.

13. Ravennaw

Ravennaw New Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Getting some Attitude

Not only do I like this kind of attitude, I think all DCU fans should start chanting "No Mercy!!!" right when the game starts...

I think the idea of baiting Mathis is a great idea...death to Chicken Boy...

RavennaW/DCUfan4life

14. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    D'arrrrrrgh!

[​IMG]

;)

15. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    The road to the Double starts Thursday night. I REALLY hate those guys! The Scum are going DOWN!

Oh yeah....Hay Bradley, I got your 4th sub right HERE!!!

16. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    thought I'd share...

Posted in the Crew-Hacks thread from last week (and edited for content)...

Metro practice schedule for today:

9-10 AM Hack and Dive Drills.
    10-11 AM Shirt Pulling Drills.
    11-12 noon: complaining to the referee everytime something does not work out.
    1-4 p.m.: One-on-one instruction on all the above from ABMOD.

17. michael greene

Oct 31, 2002
    Cheer for the Crew

Yes, cheer for the Crew.

We have played well vs. Chicago (2-1-1) this season, including a win at Chicago/Wherever the hell that field is), so I could care less if we finish 4th. After 3 years out of the playoffs, I'm not ashamed to think this way.

I'd be very happy with a tie in NJ and a Columbus win over the weekend. Even a loss would be OK as long as Columbus wins to maintain our cushion over NE.

I said it a couple weeks back; get ready to root for NJ since they are home-away with NE to close out the season. The results of those games will likely go a long way to deciding our fate.

18. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    DC United kicked their a$$e$ last year.

Time to rip them a new one!

Death to the Chicken Boys.

DC United-1
    Metrodonkeys-0

19. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's amazing the way the MetroScums games brings out the most analytical insights possible. :)

Yo ho ho!

20. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Exactly!

21. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    :)

They're not humans beings...

22. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Anyone else think Etch might sit this one out?? No way he plays 3 games in 8 days and this one makes sense to have him sit and put Earnie back up front.

Whatever, we kick their ass 2-1.

23. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Still recovering from the bender I went on when they lost last weekend. Think I'm allergic to beer, the sh1t makes me drunk! Yeah, and what about Mr. super-duper A-League goal scorer? Did he even make an appearance Sturday? I thought Thiago was supposed to be a beast? I really like Earnie and Cerritos and all, but Ray should at least give the "beast" a chance.

Who was that NY SewerRat that got flicked on the chest w/ a towel and acted like he got mugged earlier this season? I can't stand that pansy, he made soccer players look like weenies.

Speaking of Chile, didn't Marco used to play for Colo-Colo? My girlfriend is Chilean, trying to pick nuances of Chilean stuff. So far understand it's the land of copper and impenatas (spelling). Pinnochet was very bad, and Marcello Salas is very good.

If they play Thiago (beast), we will win....
    you think?

24. Down With Scum

and flush New Jersey while you are at it!

25. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    One thing for sure, I hope we attack... and keep on attacking. This bunker technique isn't working and it's not playing soccer. The only time I would even consider a bunker strategy is if we're up 3-0 with 5 minutes left.

I never understood why we play defensive on the road. Theoretically, we've got nothing to lose on the road, why not make the opponents defend their house. Why don’t we act like pirates and go into that *#*#*#*#*#*# stadium to score and come away with the booty. It just doesn’t make sense. You’re you are going to beat your opponents at their house; you’ve got attack more than they do. There should never be a defensive mentality on the road. It’s not a good strategy and not field general will ever ask his men to defend something that doesn’t exist (i.e., your home).

To make it even more concerning is that we don’t put faith in our back line that they alone can prevent anyone from breaking through. The way that Brandon, Mike, and Ryan have been playing is just superb. Galin is also a solid defender. New Jersey does not have great strikers. Our defensive 4 or 5 have to have the mentality that the few of them are so good that they can stop the attack of 6 or 7 by themselves. They have to have a superior mind set when playing. They are the best defense in MLS. They will prevent the opponents from scoring. I have faith in them and I don’t mind putting them into this position. Ryan and Mike will command our defensive line. Let the other 6 players focusing on scoring goals. (this being said, the attackers have to be willing and able to come back on defense to take the ball away so they can attack)

I wouldn’t start Bobby on Thursday. He’s had a rough time fitting back into this club and unfortunately for him, I say that three games of late minutes, plus several weeks of practice should have been enough for him to find his place. That didn’t happen… bench him. I like Bobby a lot, but I’m not willing to sacrifice one of our starting eleven in favor of someone who hasn’t showed any improvement since he’s come back to the team.

I’d almost say, we go with the following mid/forwards:

----------------Dema----------------
    --Cheyo--------Earnie---------Ben---

-------Ronald---------Thiago---------

This way we load up our mid/forward positions with players willing to shoot the ball on the field. Earnie and Ronald can still link up, and Thiago can show MLS why he deserves to be here. Cheyo and Ben have been playing very well recently and Dema can do whatever it is that he doesn’t when played out of position.

I want to win this game, really bad. But we are going to be out-coached. That just means that the 11 on the field have to out-play their opponents. They’ve got beat them to the ball, they’ve got to beat them in the air, and they’ve got to beat them into the ground.

No mercy is right! There’s not prize for second place… only shame. We must not let New Jersey take the Atlantic Cup. We cannot let the Metroscum take our Atlantic Cup. We WILL NOT give up the Atlantic Cup!

We’re not they’re to defend; we’re there to rape, pillage, and plunder. We are DC United and we will return victorious!