Official DC United vs Los Angeles Galaxy PRE Match Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Sep 16, 2003.

1. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    My guess is after 90+ minutes it will be 2-1. I think it will be United 2, Galaxy 1, but I don't see more than three goals. At least assuming our defense plays the way it has been playing.

(I was going to say that scoring 2 or more goals against us was difficult, but every team has it done once except the Galaxy and Rapids... so that's not the best arguement).

2. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLSNet reports than Brian Hall will be in the center on Saturday.

GM

3. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    grrrrrrrr!

4. stevengoff

stevengoff New Member

Feb 13, 2000
    Washington DC
    some notes....

Travel party for Los Angeles match.....

Last week's starting 11, plus Convey, Warren, Eskandarian, Martins and Namoff.

5. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    cool steven, thanks for the heads up.

6. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks Steven.

It sounds like a reasonable travel squad.

7. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Re: some notes....

So, going on what Steve has given us, the linuep will remain the same (for the third match in a row - it's been years since we've been able to say that) with Convey coming on first..

This begs the question, but when will Bobby get back into the starting X1?

8. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: some notes....

I inferred no such thing, I just gather they got on the plane. Personally I think you start Bobby and Brian on the road, save Marco for the last 25 minutes when we need possession and someone to read the passing lanes holding our lead :) But Judging what Hudson said about Bobby in Diceson's notes, maybe he does sit again.

Good luck to all the people going out to California. May Isabel be kind to your travel plans. Die Galaxitives. Long Live DC United.

9. DouginSJ

DouginSJ New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    San Jose, CA USA
    And I thought I hated L.A......

Hope you guys win.

10. sormun

sormun New Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Here is my take on this one !! I am aware of the LA weakness in the midfield but, I believe, they will attack with the defenders, reinforcing the midfield. Their offense is a skilfull one and a real pain in the neck in our penality area. Also, I do not think our midfielders are gonna be able to score again because we will bunker and because their goalie will be more prepared for our outside shots. I think, by now, the whole league is aware of our outside shots succes. Despite the popular opinion about Cerritos/Stewart tandem, I think, they are not able to execute strong contras by them selfs. Ray will be in the situation to try the new striker and this is a good occasion for us to see the new guy's skills.

My bigest concern is our defense, believe or not. What worries me the most is not that they will lose the game but, I am affraid, they might get some yellow, or worse, red cards. I think for the following games a complete defense line is crucial !! What can be worse than loosing to LA ?? Loosing to LA and have some defenders on the bench is the worse scenario, IMHO !!!

Again, despite the general opinion, I do not think we have a better ofense !! On the contrary, I believe their strikers, Ruiz/Serna are much better than our "home boys" Cerritos/Stewart !! We were lucky to beat SJ !! We had two lucky wins, I think, we are due for an "unlucky loss" !! This is usually how "luck" works !!!

11. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria

thanks Steve,

That looks like a pretty strong bench. The last time we were on the west cost our travel team included two players who had never even worn the United crest before.

here's hoping for a strong win on the west coast, and power on the east coast to watch the game.

Be safe everyone... see ya all at the exchange

-ted

12. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I do agree with this. I hope our defenders can minimize the cards.

With two MLS games against the Metrostars coming up (and one US Open Cup semifinal), I want all the defenders to be available.

13. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Mr. Sormun, I agree with you!! :eek:

When Ruiz decides to play and put his antics aside, he is very dangerous. Serna too. Against popular belief, I wouldn't have minded seeing Serna signed here. But hindsight is 20/20 and all truth be told, I 'd rather have Cerritos. For the first time this year Stewart is actually feeling comfortable and excited about playing. He's found a partner he can feed off of and his game has elevated. I'm not sure I agree with you about our defense. They've been playing well since Petke got back and Prideaux and Nelson look strong.

I believe the confidense factor enables us to walk out of the ToolBox with a point.

BTW....Toolbox? they sure knew what they were doing when they named that joint. ;)

14. BillP

BillP Member

Jan 20, 1999
    Okay, I shouldn't do it, but I've got a pet peeve that is driving me loco! To Sormun and all the others who do it, it's "losing" not "loosing" just like it's to lose a game and not to loose a game.

Thank you and we now return to our regular bashing of Scum West.....................

15. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Hey BillP - Hang lose and don't loose your cool! :D

16. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems that all the DC fans are in a delirium thinking that we're gonna overrun the Galaxy. Has anyone ever watched how Ray Hudson coaches?? This guy has DC playing sooooooooo defensively on the road, that if we don't get a shutout, we can't hope for anything more than a tie. As for Etch, did i miss something? I have gone to 2 of the last 3 DC home games (Colorado and L.A.). We were fortunate to win both and in both games Etch was HORRIBLE. At the L.A. game, the whole crowd on my side was calling for Convey to make his return to the pitch for DC from about the 10th minute on. When he finally got on, there was a sigh of relief! Anyway, I truly hope we win, but I honestly see a 2-1 loss coming here. Someone convince me otherwise ........

17. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See http://unitedmania.net/umindex.cfm?page=ARTICLE&show=2528
    This isn't just Ray, it's almost every European soccer coach I've ever seen.

18. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you know, i haven't been on these boards for too long, but i think this is the most reasonable post i've ever seen by sormun...

i will agree that anchovy/flipper are better than earnie/ronald (he needs a nickname btw). however, anchovy/flipper get nothing from their midfield, and in my mind the game is won and lost in the midfield. a Chilean friend of mine always says (in a mysterious tone) "The magic is in the midfield" and i believe our mid is head and shoulders better than theirs.

with that in mind, if etch starts we HAVE TO play attacking soccer. Etch in a bunker defense is like driving your car around with a flat donut (which happened to me this week, FWIW). if Ray wants to bunker, he should start bobby who has the wheels to outrun their midfield in a counter attack. in fact if you consider bobby, dema, benny and q2 that is a pretty quick lineup.

i'd actually like to see us bunker for at least a little while, let them wear themselves out, and get frustated, and score on a counter, then bring on etch in the second half to take the air out of the ball with posession.

Or, if i were the dreaming type, how about we just score ten in the first half and coast the rest of the way...

19. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    :D:D

20. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    If you are one fine esq it is going to be extremely hard, if not outright impossible, to convince you.

DC United-2
    LA Galaxy-1

You gotta believe!

21. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    i think the relative strengths and weaknesses of the teams are an interesting contrast.

serna/ruiz are defintely an effective combo, proven goal scores who both can make big plays and come up with timely goals. while i like our combo up front, their is no question that LA has the better combo here (this does not preclude our combo having a better game on saturday).

our backline is stronger than theres. when they play lalas and bo they have little speed or athleticism in the back. our deep group of defenders gives us so many options and assures we have good athletes at every position. if they bring in that douchebag suarez or have dan "the mike burns of the 21st century"califf, you just know they'll find a way to make some horrible blunder.

i find the keeping to be a bit of a toss up.

the midfield is interesting. our midfield has been fairly effective of late. both cheyo and ben have begun to play well. we suddenly have a glut of guys back so time in the middle is tougher to get. marco has had some good games--the prospect of marco/bobby platoon would seem on paper to be something that might pay some dividends. i think dema is a must have on the field. you'd like to think tino is seriously looking for some time. i think all our options in the midfield give us an edge here too (having albright is also a handicap for them) but this is closer than the forward or defensive comparisons. our midfield sometimes goes into a shell, stops moving and loses its shape (not to mention teeth).

i think you have two fairly even teams which probably in the end will favor the home team and the ability of ruiz/serna to opportunistically win goals and fouls. we are certainly going to have to play more persuasive football than we did in san jose.

22. Bambule GK

Bambule GK New Member

Aug 16, 2000
    The ATL

Best travel bench in the league? No idea, as I don't have the time/energy to look at other squads benches of late.

Anycrap, I hope the boys are flying out this morning... Flying Saturday is going to suck with all of the cancellations.

23. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Re: Re: some notes....

They flew out yesterday.

24. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: some notes....

(wipes sweat from forehead)

25. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Lalas, Bo and Califf won nearly every header last game. We don't have the atheletes up front to out jump them. So we'll get no goals off corners or crosses. It will be up to Ben and Dema from outside (as usual).

Thx,

Jay!