Official DC United vs Kansas PRE Match Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by CHICO13, Aug 7, 2002.

1. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Isn't everything between Ohio and Colorado called Kansas?

And Lowecifer, pulling the Tenochtitlan reference out was genius, the Quezecoatl was just mental ma....showing off... :) Now if you could work in a good Shiva reference, that would be golden...

2. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I hear there might be some sort of DC United game that this thread was dealing with.... ;)

3. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    You're correct Revelation.

My prediction:

Shiva 2 - 0 Dorothy, Tin Man, and Scarecrow

4. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Good point, but I personally like being called Kansas Wizards. Thanks for accomodating my tastes guys. :)

I really am wondering how Kansas will come out. This could be no different than any other match even, who knows. They have recently showed that they can play well in road matches north of the Rio Grande, and south of the 48th parallel.

5. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I am unimpressed with your referencing ability! Any Metroscum hack or Cowlumbus fan could have come up with that... Perhaps our lack of creativity is contributing to the declining fortunes of the once proud dynasty that was known as District of Columbia United... Alas, I fear for the future and the downfall of civilization when I see this apathy among the youth... :)

DC United wins!

6. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    We should pull out the Blue "Cat in the Hat" kits for this one, completely messing with Kansas' mind.

7. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yeah, we could leave them like Dust In The Wind;)
    sorry Thamlin, you might be a little too young for that reference.

8. dcuinvermont

dcuinvermont Member

Sep 8, 2000
    Burlington VT
    Another game not televised :( And Kansas is a team we can beat. The next televised game is against San Jose and I don't have much hope for that one. Still, might be able to make it to the webcast.

Hoping for a big hometown "coming out" for Q2, Moreno, Bobby (he's the last scorer), and Benny. A game like the win over Chicago at the beginning of the year.

Men-in-Black 3 - Munchins 0

9. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Has our scoreless streak coincided with the "blackout streak" of no television? I'm too lazy to check, but I know at least both of those games in Chicago where we didn't score weren't shown. Along with a few others I though.

10. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    Tomorrow nite is 12th man time, lads and lasses.
    When the four horsemen walk onto that pitch together, there best be thunder from the Barra and the Nest, and La Norte.
    I know I'll be makin all the noise I can where I am gonna be.
    Mark

11. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    What he said!

The season is on the line!

12. Begbie

Begbie New Member

Mar 10, 2001
    La Barra Brava
    There will be thunder from Barra Brava, you know it.

13. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Ah, crap! I forgot about that and was thinking all day that it'd be on the Shootout.

< It was at this point in my writing this post that I thought - maybe there's a webcast. So I opened another window and surfed over to DCUnited.com. but ... >

And to make matters even worse - I don't even think there's a webcast. I can't find anything about one on the DC United website.

This is just friggin pathetic. All the matches should be televised - at least in the away team's city. If that was so then every match would be available via the Shootout. But alas ... they're not!

I'm going to cry now ...

14. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Mayans are the shorter skinny ones.

15. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Yes, but you do live there, Ben.

16. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    So why are they Wizards?

Maybe they should be called the Mizz Wiz Wannabes!

Whatever they are called, they are going down today.

DC United-2
    Away-0

17. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    How are we supposed to score when our starting lineup has Richie Williams and Ivan McKinley in the midfield?? Then you give Reyes Man marking roles and we have 4 players trying to score!! We stink.

Olsen won't come in before halftime and then probably for Q2 so Ray's boy Ivan can play 90 minutes.

18. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Kevin,

I agree with you that having both Williams and McKinley out there is a bit dicey, but in a 3-5-2 formation (which we will probably play to run out the season) I can live with Williams as his role as a provider is significantly diminished by the presence of Ivan the Terrible.. Ivan is God awful as a left back but his size and strength in the middle (which this team sorely lacks) is well suited for us.. About the only thing Ivan has left in him which is any good is his ability to hold the ball and distribute, plus he gets himself into good attacking positions where his ariel ability is a plus (despite missing that sitter versus the Revs).. Ivan's ability to do this leaves Richie with the sole responsibility of defending and not moving the ball upfield which he is simply terrible at doing...

Yes, Hudson came out and said Reyes's job now is to float freely and defend the opponent's most dangerous player, well for my money that player is Preki, not a wing man like Klein.. I think Convey and Prideaux should do just fine marking him tonight.. Reyes will stay with Preki and float mostly to the right side of midfield where his speed can be used most effectively..

Don't think too much into what Hudson said, after all, Hudson is just a big bag of wind any ol' way..

19. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I guarantee you'll know that La Barra Brava is in the house tonight.

20. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    I hear you Chris but he has McKinley and Williams in there in a 4-4-2. Reyes has been very restricted on his forward runs lately. Prideaux is not capable of making forward runs from what I have seen. This is more like a 6-2-2 to me. Of course, outside of Olsen, no one on the bench is capable of helping so this is what we have.

21. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Since when has Steven Goff ever gotten a formation right?

The Post says 4-4-2 but my eyes will see 3-5-2 tonight...

22. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    I hope you are right and I hope to see Milton in the deep right corner on our attacking end of the field often.

23. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Diceson predicts that Reyes may be man-marking Klein tonight:

----------------------Rimando
    Pope-----------------Nelsen--------------Prideaux
    -------------------------------------------Reyes
    --------------Williams-----------McKinley
    ----------------------Etcheverry-------------Convey
    --------------Quintinilla-------------Moreno

http://unitedmania.mlsfansites.com/story.php?news_ID=200767

The reyes/Klein matchup makes sense, given how Klein has been playing awfully well and this will relieve Convey of some defensive responsibilities and will also put pressure on the KC left side, Klein and Burns, to handle Convey and Reyes. The danger then comes from KC's right, Armstrong, Guitterez, and possibly Brown. Pope needs to be big tonight.

24. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since the game ins't on tv here is there a chance the game audio could be found somewhere on the net?

25. DCUnited401

DCUnited401 New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    germantown, md
    united- 4
    kc- 0

i have a feeling that marco will play a part in all 4 goals. moreno, olsen, quintinilla, and convey will play a part in at least 1 goal.