OFFICIAL DC United vs E-Quakes POST Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by ursula, Aug 31, 2002.

1. Chyck

Chyck New Member

Apr 12, 2002
    Virginia
    For the sake of those sitting around you, NancyB, please oh please do not make those lucky socks true lucky socks. For the love of God please wash them!

2. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    I hear ya Eric.. I have always felt the same way..

It's incredulous to me that professional players in this league are so one-footed..

Marco is different though.. He is very capable of using his right foot as he has done some good things in the past with his right peg, but what concerns me most is that Bobby Convey is quickly becoming WAY too dependent on his left foot.. He very often runs around the ball to position a left footed pass or toe poke when a simple poke of the ball with his right foot would suffice..

Maybe that's why you and me never made it into the big leagues Eric, we are actually good with both feet..

Damn.......

3. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Etheverry's been neglecting the right foot too much for years now.

My coach pointed out one game we were ball boys 3 or 4 years ago that he passed up 2 great shots when his right from about the PK spot, finally got it on his left and fired but then the defender had time to get there and blocked it.

4. detter7

detter7 New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    PA
    Whooo-eeee! Gotta hand to our guys for their heart. Only thing that I saw wrong was that too many times it was Rimando and one defender on a streaking fast Donovan (his second goal was awesome). It was almost a no-brainer that Donovan was going to get around the defender 80% of the time, and usually there was another SJ player coming up the other side. We can't let our goalie out to dry like that. Maybe we need to tell Reyes to stop moving up so much.

But Whooooo-eeeee! We won! Not only did we win, but it was a good, well-deserved win. And on top of that, Jack Edwards kept saying during the LA/Metros game that United had "spanked" San Jose. Don't it feel good?!

5. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
  6. albionroad

albionroad Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My fellow Red and Black...

In all of our discussion of exceptional goalkeeping, shortcomings or not of our defensive midfield, ineptitude or not of our frontline, tactical mistakes or not of our coach, we are forgetting something. We are forgetting the most important duty, the most important right of any fan...the right to gloat.

Yes, friends, let us not forget that we, the lowly, 10th place DC United, have beaten the "mighty" San Jose Earthquakes, who inhabit the rarified air of first place. Yes, we have beaten these Quakes, who are currently borrowing our MLS Cup, by the score of 4 goals to 2 in our beloved game of football.

The shame! The horror! The poor fans of this "team" must have been choking on their non-fat, decaf, whole wheat, organic Mocha Mocha Mocha this morning as they read their San Jose Mercury-News. How could their boys, how could the Golden Child himself have let them down so?

Well fans, let us help them understand. Let us explain to them at every opportunity that their "team" was, for at least this one night, embarassed by the once and future champions of Major League Soccer, DC United.

Let us sing them our new favorite song, the new favorite song of our Nest, and ask them how well they like it...

"You can stick Landon up your ass"

7. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks Diceson.

"Ryan Nelsen-
    What did you tell Landon in the first half when you got in his face?
    “Oh well no, I just said if he wants to have a beer with myself after the game, just to come back – no problems.” "

:D

"Eddie Pope
    What was there the second half that hasn’t been there before?
    “I think we stopped asking ourselves those questions – what’s going wrong? It’s so hard to put your finger on it, especially when you play well and you come up with a tie on the road, or a difficult loss. We just quit asking those questions, and we said, ‘Let’s make our own luck. And at the end of the day if we work hard and still haven’t won, then we’ll accept it.’ We need to make our own luck and try to get over that hump.” "

The MAN knows!

8. Tabitha

Tabitha New Member

Jul 16, 2001
    U.S.
    Thats great stuff right there :D .

My mum and I got home and taped the second half, something I wish I wouldn't have done... she won't let anyone watch anything on the living room tv now-- its dedicated to the 2nd half of the dc sj game :(

9. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    I didn't see this mentioned anywhere and forgot it myself but who rememebrs the flat out sprint down the left side of the field between Reyes and Donovan during the second half?? Definitely two of the fastest guys in the league and I would like someone with the tape to take a look at this. My memory is telling me that LD had a slight lead and Reyes caught up to him but I am not sure. Somebody played the ball into space towards the corner and these two were after it. Let me know.

10. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too was impressed by this footrace, but I recall that Reyes never caught up with LD, who led by a step, step and a half. I'll check out the tape fer sure.

GM

11. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At 78:02 Donovan helped SJ win possession at their 18 and begins his sprint upfield along his left flank. Conrad passes from the left corner of his 18 to LD, who collects around 30 yards from SJ goalmouth, dribbles about 10 yds, and plays a one-two with Mulrooney, who made the play about 8 yds into DC's half, near the center circle. LD takes in-stride Mulrooney's excellent return pass with Reyes on his right hip. Over the next 20 yards, LD (dribbling the ball) opens the gap on Reyes to two steps. As LD angles in toward the corner of DC's box, slightly slowing to measure his pass to Graziani, Reyes almost closes the gap but LD gets the pass away cleanly.

LD's acceleration was about one step faster per ten yards than Reyes --- SCARY !!

GM

12. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Thanks for the recap GM. I guess I was just hoping the Reyes was closing the gap on him!!!

13. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    LD's speed on that play had me staring at the TV with my mouth open as wide as it can get. When it was over, I started raving and slapping at my kids, "DID YOU SEE THAT!!!!!" (They edged a little bit away from me after that, which they do from time to time. :))The word awesome is actually appropriate in this case.

14. mosca

mosca Member

Sep 13, 1999
    Honolulu
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes folks, you heard it here first. Proof that the E-Quakes cause child abuse. Down with San Jo! Trade LD now!!!!

(we'll take him.......)

15. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

Ha Ha! Yes, for the good of my kids, please, I think we should trade for LD. Let's give San Jo Rocket Roy straight up. :)

16. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not fair we have to give them more.................................say Lazy Alavanja? ;)

17. DougO

DougO Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, you wouldn't like Landon. He's been hacked in the box in at least 4 games this season with no cards or PKs awarded. Including, as Ursula noted, this past week by Marco early in the first half. His dive later was foolish, granted.

This game was all about momentum. Eddie Pope got an assist for goal number 2, so it's pretty clear that he played that ball even if Dayak touched it, too. And where was Nelson when Pope played that ball? Right, in an offsides position. Whoever complimented Jair for the officiating, well, you're a homer. With United down 2-1 and an offsides goal nullified, I doubt very much there'd have been two more goals in the latter part of the second half. But as it was, the tie gave you the momentum and your boys get credit- Rimando full deserved Ray's big kiss, much as he tried to avoid taking it on the lips.

Congratulations, DC, enjoy the spoiler.

DougO

18. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    See you in the playoffs! :D

19. JAnderson14

JAnderson14 New Member

Oct 5, 2000
    Crofton, MD
    We scored 3 goals after Villegas came on. Rimando made a couple big saves, but he's had better games this season. I thought he did extremely well, but the match turned on Villegas's involvement.

Beating the metros...that probably was best when you include the joy at it being a win over those bastards.

Welcome to being a striker.

This just in, San Jose flooded with tears.

Just because MLSnet gave Pope an assist, doesn't mean he touched the ball. My first instinct on seeing the play was that the ball was more off Conrad (or the SJ defender at the time) than Pope.

20. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Rimando does not come up HUGE when it's 1-2, then the subsequent goal makes it 1-3, and DC mails in the rest of the game, and we leave pissed off at another loss.

Nicky stole that game for us by coming up huge and allowing the central defenders (or two of the deepest strikers in the history of soccer) to push up and put two in their net.