OFFICIAL DC United vs E-Quakes POST Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by ursula, Aug 31, 2002.

1. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    OFFICIAL United - e-Quakes POST Match Thread [R]

It's halftime at RFK with DC United winning 1-0! Goal by Bobby Convey in the 38th minute on assists by Moreno and Nelsen. Real pretty too. Convey is now at the dreaded three goal mark for the season so we can't expect anything more out of him. ;)

Here's a recap of how the goal happened:

1) Lagos, playing right wing this game is obviously under orders by Yallop to push forward as much as possible in part to take advantage of ITT at left back. Hudson is trying to counter that by shading Nellie over to the left for cover. This almost backfired for united around minute 20 when LD was sprung wide open on the right with only a very nervous Kiwi between him and Rimando. On that play, Nellie slowed LD down enough- barely- for Etcheverry (!) to help out on defense. Most anyone other than a diehard DC homer would say that besides getting the ball, El Diablo got much of LD's leg in the box, but there was no call.

2) Anyways back to the actual score. Lagos is going in on Kiwi who realizes he's not dealing with a guy who has LD's skills and strips Manny of the ball and heads upfield with loads of space.

3) Past the midfield strip, Nellie sees Quakes players and passes forward to Moreno who quickly goes back in time to 98 and steams ahead onm a slight diagional at goal, surrounded by four- count 'em- four Quakes. several minutes earlier it seemed that Plate O' Food was getting some scattered boos from the crowd but not this time. This time he's a dribbling machine. ibsen, Eklund, Mulrooney, Conrad all don't stop him.

4) Moreno goes on for 30 yards or so. Near the 18 yard line, some more Quakes defenders try to help (six total now) but Moreno deftly passes the ball to Convey who's at the 18 in the center of the field.

5) At this point, Convey has two choices: give and go with Moreno or go for goal. Convey receives the pass from Jaime with his right foot facing Moreno while looking directly at the left touchline. The right foot passes cleanly to his left foot and he shoots at the right post where it tucks in nicely for the score. Convey makes the right decision and is rewarded for his effort as a sprawling Jeff Agoos arrives about five minutes too late to stop Bobby.

2. Ugluk

Ugluk New Member

Nov 15, 1999
    Anyone else hear the broadcasters during halftime?

"Conway doesn't want to do the interview - they said he's in a bad mood..."

Heh heh!

3. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Ahhhhh! Is there a place to listen to the game online? Radio America isn't working! :(

4. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    LD ties it up with a nice 20 yard strike.

5. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Wait, I thought we traded Olsen for him?:)

6. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Evidently LD is not bothered by the three-goal max as he chugs right up the middle for his second goal. 2-1 SJ. DC defense not too good on these two goals, boys.

7. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    SOMEONE DIDN'T GIVE NELLIE THE MEMO!!!!!

nellie scores in minute 73.

8. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    GOAL! POPE ON A CORNER KICK!!!! Eddie's been the center forward for the last 10 minutes- he headed the ball to Nellie for his score. DC up 3-2

9. Ugluk

Ugluk New Member

Nov 15, 1999
    OOOHHHH MMYYY GGGOOODDD!!!!!

10. NICDT Coach

NICDT Coach Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Cd'A, Idaho
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dearest DC Fans,

Please win.

Thanks,
    GaLAxy fans.

11. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    GOOOOOAAAAALLLLL!!!!!!!

C'mon defense. Keep those bastards out for a measly six minutes plus stoppage time. Pleeeeeaaaaase....

12. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Villegas in the 85th!!! Rout!!

13. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I in the twilight zone?

GO DC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Hell yes. Hell yes. Hell yes.

15. NICDT Coach

NICDT Coach Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Cd'A, Idaho
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So who of you DC fans are going to pay me to show up on your board during games more often? ;-) I mean really now, I start lurking you all bag two goals in a game that looks like it will be a tie.

Anyhoo, I'll be taking offers starting at 5 bucks and I do take paypal.

Cheers, and thanks for winning!

16. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    How come we only manage to play great against the best team in the league?

Go figure.

17. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Full time: DCU WINS!!! Whoo-hoo! 4-2.

Villegas came up big as a sub. Nicky several huge subs. I'm telling you though: San Jose is no longer the best team in the league.

Now- can we win on the road?

18. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SJ already clinched so they're probably taking it easy. As I recall, United used to do the same thing back in the days when they actually made the playoffs.

By the way, you can all thank me for this. I decided not to go to the game, knowing that there would be a spectacular win.

19. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

Oh come on Barb! You really think SJ doesn't care to play hard? Their defense just crumbled tonight. Pope just skied over nats team wannabe Conrad for his goal. On Nellie's goal, pope flat-out beat Dayak to flick on the ball to nellie who was poorly marked by Conrad again. Dayak loses his cool with Etch. Wannabe Mulrooney is nowhere to be seen. Wannabe Barrett does squat. San Jose has the second worst road record in the league and with Dallas and LA breathing down their necks for the supporters shield. Do you really think that San Jose doesn't care to have home field advantage?????

No, DC beat San Jose tonight.

20. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, I'll take your word for it. Like I said, I didn't see it.

21. The Lieutenant

Dec 29, 1999
    Lupburg, Bayern
    What was the attendance?

Anyone tape the game and want to mail a copy out here?

22. xTexx

xTexx New Member

Jul 29, 2000
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    From AP - 14,158

23. rymannryan

rymannryan New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    N.N., Virginia
    Hell yes! We won and against San Jose!!!!!! This is the happiest I've been when talking about D.C. in quite a while. Not even the tie against them last time made me happy.

24. rymannryan

rymannryan New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    N.N., Virginia
    DC's attendance hasn't been to great this year. Don't we usually do much better than that? Although, our team does suck so it's kind of understandable.

25. DML99DML

DML99DML New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I have to say that this was one of the best DCU games i have ever been to. High quality game, lots of goals and DCU coming away with the victory.

What a game!