Official DC United vs Columbus POST Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DCU, Jun 28, 2003.

1. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    DC United vs Cowlumbus Post Match Thread [R]

2-0 the Cow People in the 26th minute. We seriously suck. Fire Hudson now.

Did Hudson really start Nelsen on the backline, meaning we have no defensive midfielder? Or is Dema supposedly that D-Mid? What a joke! Where is Namoff? I repeat: Fire Hudson now.

No Flames - No Trolls

2. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I don't see how Hudson is to blame for a no account team of gutless wonders. This team sucks fat **** on the road. It has under Rongen and now it has under Ray. The team is above average to decent at home yet appallingly bad on the road. --If they can't get motivated to show up for huge road game against a team as good as the Crew (looking for revenge) then they cant get up for anything!!! Do these guys take a Greyhound bus to the games? Fly in a freaking C-47 with chickens in it?

There is no excuse for this teams road record.

3. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A dull first half effort from United on the road............... what a shock. :eek: Why is this the case every road game Ray??????????

4. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Wow, that didn't take long for the "Fire Hudson" dopes to come out of the woodwork...

Look genius, if we fire every coach who couldn't win a road game in MLS, well, United would have fired about 30 of them by now...

Obviously this result sucks ass so far but it's not unexpected in my eyes.. This team has serious confidence issues on the road and Ray's ultra defensive approach on road matches doesn't help, but in the end it's always down to the players...

5. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    Cweed, how long've I been posting on this board? I clearly am not seeing the game, hence the 'Fire Hudson' claim can be nothing more than jockoserious. So blow it out your pie hole.

That said...Regardless of the result today, they should fire Hudson because neither he nor Trask nor you know shinola from that other thing when it comes to soccer. I'm not going to bother responding to the [edited].

Woah! Check it out! Prideaux for Hristo. Apparently the 2 geniuses on the bench figured out the no dmid problem.

6. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I quit listening. I can't stand it.

7. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    No need to get hostile there DCU...

At least you are true to your own words...

8. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank God for HDNet. By that, I mean, thank God I don't have it.

9. CrazyDCFan

CrazyDCFan Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Henan, China
    The reason people are saying fire hudson is not because we can't win road games, but that we can't win consistently, we win in spurts....and it is annoying! :)

10. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Sickening. Absolutley sickening. It's a vintage DCU road performance.

11. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    According to the game reports, Prideaux started off on the bench..

My guess is that Hudson was trying to get a little more offense on the field, something we probably all have been clamoring for and subsequently both Hristo and Curtis suck ass and we lose hard...

I knew the love affair for Hristo/Curtis wasn't going to last long..

12. aueagle

aueagle New Member

Jun 28, 2003
    washington
    there is no question that hudson needs to go. in this game there have been several pretty obvious tactical mistakes
    1) the back line lacks any true markers. nelson, petke, and ivanov are basically central defenders. this leads the united vulnerable to quick counter attacks on the wings

2) starting stoichkov and etch at the same time is dangerous because they spend most of the time walking on the field and lack explosiveness. olsen and kovalenko have had similar problems this year. they rarely explode on the wings, rather they have fairly predictable moves

3) kind of silly to sub in a fullback for a striker when down 2-0. even the crew announcer questions the move

aditionally, the inability of hudson to develop young players, or develop any creative players, is dangerous. watch mapp in chicago. he's excellent of making moves, and then getting back on defense.

i don't see signing of any of these foreign players as a permanent solution when hudson has two attack modes that he encourages: errant long balls out of the back usually coming from etch or having olsen push the ball slowly and painful up the field.

13. Felix football world

Mar 6, 2003
    Puerto Rico
    So far this season my interpretation of DCU has been this: mehoblahtoprhumdidumplahticobunfugincratoliporangofastumentupus.

Don't know what that means? Good, neither does Hudson...

I never thought I'd see the day DCU got worse, and worse, then worse...

Thats it I've lost it... I think this team needs Heyzoos, El Saviourrrrrr Christ.

Do I sound upset? Can't wait till DC plays Chicago or the Metros again then we'll all know the true meaning of sad.

14. alexdergrosse

alexdergrosse New Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Northern VA
    From the sounds of the WMET broadcast, DC sounds like they're getting chances...

Oh, and now the announcer says they've had one real chance on goal... that wasn't really a chance. Should have known.

Damn, we suck. But I don't blame Hudson - I blame the suckiness of the team.

Oh, and watching old DC players kick ass around the league is painful (i.e., Mapp). The guys we pick up from other teams come here to die...

15. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Out of curiosity, I pose this question for those of you who actually saw the game. Who (or what group of people) was at fault for the THREE GOALS we let in? I understand that Prideaux was on the bench ... hmmm, I wonder if that was a coincidence?

So, how is Santino feeling ... I understand that he didn't make the travel roster.

How did our "be creative" edict without any "restrictions" of offensive structure work out? Was it a beautiful offensive display that was just cursed with bad luck? Or perhaps, did we not get many good chances as our attack looked disorganized and sporadic?

Congrats to the Crew, who once again prove that DC United really sucks.

-Digital

16. roundfootball

roundfootball New Member

Dec 8, 2001
    None of the above

We suck.

17. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    I'll be very interested to hear Hudson's explanation for the lineup change in the back.. As I surmised earlier, my thinking was that he wanted to get more offense on the field by pushing Nelsen back and Prideaux out..

It really didn't take long for many posters to jump right back off the bandwagon after our 4 match unbeaten streak.. I know many people are getting sick of me saying this but it's a long season and once in a while we will lay an egg.. How do you think Columbus felt after leaving RFK two weeks ago? It happens... Get back to the training ground and sort it out...

I certainly hope John Dyson can get Hudson on "The Soccer Show" on Monday night so we can grill him...

18. amyep

amyep New Member

Jul 16, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Gee....that was FUN....And to think....I opted to spend my night off listening to the game instead of reading Tolstoy for AP English next year. At least that would have been productive....:rolleyes:

19. Felix football world

Mar 6, 2003
    Puerto Rico
    I would like to offer a glimmer of hope but I look at the DCU roster and I just cry... I loved the old DCU but now DCU just looks old... I need a drink.

Hudson is responsible for the guys he picks to field. I personally think Etcheverry and Stoitchkov can still have moments of brilliance but both are seriously past their football prime and they are NOT ANYTHING LIKE PREKI imo... damnit there I go again, the negativity is engulfing my world... I'll will kindly retract away from the keyboard and move along.

20. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crew - 3
    United - 0

So who is next to come in on trail? Kluivert, Viduka, Lucio, Ronaldinho, Gilles De Bilde, Shane Cansdell-Sherriff, Raul or Juan Pablo Sorin. All of whom could come in and play in practice for a week and then say, "Nah, the money is not good enough."

21. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and the shot goes wide!!!!

DC has all possession and no one to put the ball in the net. Sign Serna, Silvio, Cureton, anyone that can shoot on target. If we had a decent stricker with halfway decent aim we would have won this game!!! How many times did we hear "and the shot goes wide"? BTW, what happened to the consensus that Earnie was going to play his way back into the starting 11? I was excited when he was signed, now I say trade him! This is my 1st post, so be kind.

22. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If he was so interested in offense, why did Hudson wait until there were less than 10 minutes left in the game to bring in Eskandarian?

The Prideaux for Hristo sub makes no sense to me. We need to score so lets shore up the defense? Huh?

23. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Enough is enough.

Pick Diego Serna, he's exactly the kind of player we need. There's no one better out there, and we need someone immediately.

It's panic time. We HAVE to start scoring goals.

The standings:
    Chicago 21 pts
    MetroStars 20 pts
    NE 19 pts
    Columbus 18 pts
    DC United 12 pts

Almost halfway through the season, and the 2nd half schedule is a very tough one. Have yet to play San Jose and Los Angeles.

A team to catch is the MetroStars. Defense is decimated. Lost Jolley, Pope, will lose Howard. Grafer is a terrible keeper.

24. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Let's face it, we got rid of Rongen exactly one year before the World Cup. We knew at that time that one year later if the US had done poorly, we'd have likely gotten Arena back, and if the US did well, we'd get Sarachan. Instead we opted to crucify Rongen--who was developing our young players and by the end of his final season started plugging the sieve of a defense--with Hudson, knowing full well that succeed or fail we would have missed the window of opportunity for Sarachan.

Now Sarachan took the seriously reduced Fire (because of Salary Cap problems) and has them doing quite well. Similarly, our other former DC United Assistant, Frank Yallop took a San Jose team that lost Cannon, Barrett, Graziani and DeRosario (injury) and replaced them with Onstad (A-League), Dunivant (Rookie drafted in the lower half of the first round), Mullan (LA Galaxy castoff) and Brian Ching (A-League and former LA Galaxy castoff). Yallop's Quakes are doing quite well also.

While nobody is really questioning our defense, it does seem odd that whenever we go ahead our defense is less than sturdy. IMHO, this is Hudson and Trask's last season to turn it around. If they cannot win with this lineup that they chose after totally gutting the team they inherited, then it just isn't going to work.

I really wonder what this team would be like if they had someone organizing the offense. I think Hudson is a wonderful motivator and player handler. I also think that Trask is a good defensive coach and can spot defensive talent. But the lack of structure in our attack forces us to do stupid things, and often those backfire. I've been suspect of the coaches for a while, and losing so convincingly to this Crew "B" team is just one more example of not getting it done.

Sorry, but I'm not ready to celebrate splitting games with the Crew as we're two full victories away from tying for the final playoff spot. We definitely can make up the ground, but without much hope of an away win, it makes it difficult to believe in our current coaching staff.

-Digital

25. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Gotta protect that 2-0 deficit baby.