Official DC United vs Columbus Crew PRE Match Thread & PBP Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Oct 2, 2003.

1. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanx, I thought that might be the case after I hit submit. I predict a stand-out game by Namoff and solid play from Stokes will contribute to a very entertaining game, with DC eeking out a win late, causing half of us to have heart problems. This assumes the guy saying Warren might not play was just on bad shrooms. Yesterday I wasn't too optimistic about this game, but I'm feeling much better now. We will defeat the crew in their fancy high school metal stadium. When McBride repeatedly heads the ball over the bar, I will sing "couldn't score with the Cruisers..."

2. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    Interestingly, an older lady in the crowd at Rutgers mentioned that she was surprised Warren was with the team as his brother was getting married and he should be going to and getting ready for that event. I didn't followup with her as the game was starting, and forgot later. Plus, I thought she meant the wedding was going to be the next day (Thurs). Assuming she actually meant this Saturday, and assuming she wasn't just pulling my leg, or smoking crack before the game, that could be the reason for the rumor Warren might be out.

Just mentioning it as a possibility. Have no idea if it's true or not. Certainly doesn't seem likely given that he's listed as playing this weekend, but you never know.

3. Lineup as listed on DC United.com
    D.C. United: Doug Warren; Brandon Prideaux, Ryan Nelsen, David Stokes, Galin Ivanov; Bobby Convey, Eliseo Quintanilla, Bryan Namoff, Earnie Stewart; Ronald Cerritos, Thiago Martins.

Wow - we hardly have enough to fill out a team. Who is left to ride the pine: Etcheverry, Stoitchkov, Algeria, Geddes, Esky, and Carrol.

Sure hope no-one goes down. Ivanov and Prideaux are on a short leash as one more card and they are over the limit on points and have to sit the next game. Nelsen is already out for the next game - Kiwi Commitment.

I hopeing for a tie at least. And for gawd's sake, someone tell Ivanov not to let Bundle lose. That kid can score.

-The Far Side

4. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Ditto...

Gotta love the optimism though, displaced may it be......

5. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    Now aren't you the one who's always saying things don't go the way they're supposed to in MLS?

I'd think that means DC should win going away.

;)

6. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    I am hoping and praying Warren is not out, Geddes will not be able to pull this team through a whole game.

7. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    damn this player shortage is getting to be a bit dicey. although i have to say a line up with martins and cerritos up front with earnie in the middle might do well against columbus. last thursday and again wednesday night, earnie had an outstanding two-way game. he is settling in nicely.

hristo looked pretty damn dangerous in those minutes last nite and i could see marco coming in and maybe giving us some great minutes in the second half.

i hope convey is ok and plays as he did at giant stadium. there could be some opportunities in midfield, certainly likely to find some spaces and i think thiago can hold the ball against their backline.

i our ranks were pretty thin and remain more so. but as a certain dutchman said in terms of football that "every disadvantage as an advantage" and there are some here. the above mentioned play of hristo. the chance for someone to maybe step up--guys like a thiago or a brian namoff. guys who have showed well in their time on the field and now may be able to stand up and really take on a game.

of late, while we haven't always played the best football, we have opportunities to win matches. we stunk the first half, lost our keeper, went down a man and still had it tied up in jersey and had an opportunity, a nice one to win. same thing in the tie. i expect this game will be no different. we may not win, hell we may not play all that well, but i bet we have a chance to win the game.

8. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Do as I say young man, not as I do.. :p

9. the Nuge

the Nuge New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    I don't think there's any way these two share time out there. We're already a bit shaky on defense- the last thing we need is two 30-somthings give a half-assed effort at D in the midfield. Of course, I could be wrong, but I think Ray's gotten over that experiment. (Fingers and toes firmly crossed.)

10. SoccerMomma

SoccerMomma New Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Memphis
    I'm in DC for the weekend, and couldn't schedule this trip for a time when we were at RFK. My shootout package does me no good here, and I don't want to wait to watch on Sunday when I get home.

Does anyone know of a good place to watch? I remember some comments earlier in the year, but of course not much of the specifics. Did someone say Summers? (where is this?) The Exchange? any other ideas?

Thanks for the help! I'm hoping that my cheering will telepathically spur the guys on!

11. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL :D

12. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it seems like just a week ago we had so much depth... options at every position... my how time flies...

13. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Straus' article lists Warren as the probable starter.

14. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    The relationship with The Exchange ended a few games into the season. Their desire to feature live music on Saturday nights pretty much told us what the management thought of us.

Summers remains the best bet, though expect the place to be filled with college football fans until about 7:00.

15. The Artist

The Artist Member+

Mar 22, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tiebreaker

It seems that head-to-head goal difference is not a factor in determining final standings. So a DC win means they can do no worse than tie in the season series with Columbus. The next tiebreaker is goal differential which DC currently has a 7 goal lead in. I don't expect Columbus is going to score many against CHicago, and DC ends the season against two of the worst defensive teams in the league (though also two of the better offensive teams). Even a one goal loss then would probably help us (assuming we can beat the Crew at home).

Ohio State doesn't play Saturday. The Crew are on center stage.

16. SoccerMomma

SoccerMomma New Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Memphis
    Thanks for tip, Lanky134! I'll try Summers. Let's just hope that we all go home celebrating!

17. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Re: tiebreaker

Ohio State sucks...Michigan Rules

The Crew get bent over :)

18. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Just listen for El Bombo

Sachin

19. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Bring it loud, I'll be listening. :)

20. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Alright thanks, I just read the Times article same story.

21. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    I had a dream last night, my friends

3-2 DC.

I don't know why, but I just remember us scoring an early goal, the TV going out, then looking up at the score box when it came back on and seeing DC-3, COL-2. Oh, and we get a fourth disallowed for offsides. This is my first preminition ever. I hope I'm right. :(

22. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    8 more hours.

BRING IT!

"We all laugh at a yellow football team..."

23. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    i prefer "we all hate the yellow football team...." however i certainly appreciate all forms of derision of the crew.

24. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may just go out for the game ..... but I'd like to head to Fat Tuesdays in Fairfax after, Summers may be too far away, does any bar in Fairfax County show the games regularly.....

OK, Ray is making me nervous ... maybe it's psychological to weaken ComeBlowus' resolve, make them think this will be easy.

25. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    These are the times that try men's souls.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

Win one for the gipper.

Break a leg.

Enough cliches. I don't care who's playing, who's sick, etc. We're going to win. And I'm going to be drunk.