Official DC United vs Columbus Crew POST Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Glorious Save

Glorious Save Member

Sep 6, 2001
    Washington, DC Metro Area
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Overtime - Character Flaw

Yeah - just think, if we squeak out just 1 win, and a tie out of all those overtime games we're in the mix for 2nd place in the conference. Ray has got to get this figured out.

2. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    And for the KC game and their tasty offense, Kovalenko will be out... and Esky too, but that's of no consequence.

3. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really am almost wishing to be put out of misery. Is there really any conceivable way we can survive round 1 of the playoffs?

4. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least something good came out of it.

5. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Which would've been REAL nice, meaning we won or tied the game.

I'm sick of players playing scared. The second Columbus goal Alegria GETS OUT OF THE WAY

I heard Ivanov told Petke he wanted to guard McBride in overtime. Petke should've told him to shove it

Warren w/the 1st goal........what was that??

6. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Again, that was Prideaux guarding Mcbride.

7. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Alegria was obviously ball watching on the play and he's way too slow to make up ground on West. He put Warren in a very difficult position.

8. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    My mistake. It still should have been PETKE on McBride. What's up with WARREN, who was OUT OF POSITION (batted a ball while in the goal)

I mean COME ON GUYS FINISH THE D*** GAME OFF!!!

9. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    ABSOLUTELY....it was his man and he's going AWAY from the play w/his hands up....

I mean COME ON MAN!!!! WAKE UP!!

Playing SOFT, SCARED

10. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Yeah, my guess is that Nicky would have had that game winner all wrapped up. And Petke should have been on Mcbride.

11. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Sorry for all the posts....I'm just severely pissed off at this team. I'll post again tomorrow and stop for the day

12. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    You know in those dying minutes, we needed somebody who can play in the backline, who has some size, who can use his head, and who has some speed. Does this sound like anybody we have on our bench? The inability of our coaching staff to get rookies playing time has come back to bite us in the ass.

13. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    After reading both post game threads on the Crew and DC sites, it's sad that NEITHER team deserves to be in the playoffs. That seems to be the feeling of fans from both sides. Let's just give the F!re a bye in the first round.

F#$%ing refs take the joy even out of a victory. Worst game that I've seen reffed in a long time against both teams. He actually had a good first 35 minutes. Then came Stoichkov's dive and it went downhill from there.

And, BTW, Walsh did deserve red on that foul. But don't look at us for sympathy as we've gotten about 1% of the refs calls all season; that one included.

14. Blublub

Blublub New Member

Jul 28, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Unbelievable. Just when I thought the quality of MLS officiating could stoop no lower, this bozo shows up.

Seriously, I am about to give up on the league if they don't do something about the problem. This guy just flat out sucked, with horrific calls going both ways.

Granted, we didn't deserve a draw anyway. Moronic back line play all day and bloodless attack does not a playoff team make.

Nice gameplan by Ray, and good call putting in Alegria for Q2 - who would have thought. Other than that, Stoichkov and Warren were about the only bright spots. Thiago looked good most of the match, but lost his legs midway through the second. Where i the hell was Cerritos all match? I think he's forever ruined by attendence at the Etcheverry/Stewart school of pulling up when you have numbers.

Folks, we're running on fumes at this stage. Not a bad effort considering everyone that was out. If we do make the playoffs I'm afraid it's going to be short-lived.

Actually, I thought Ivanov didn't totally suck for a change, and he had some great gos on set pieces.

15. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    The rule says that if the player gets a touch on the ball first and the GK gets a piece of the ball, then there's no foul. But if the GK misses, you point to the spot which Mr. Inept did. But somehow he managed to call the PK and not give a yellow card to the keeper; which also is usally given at that time.

16. Blublub

Blublub New Member

Jul 28, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Re: Re: Re: Overtime - Character Flaw

We needed a point today. Of course he's going to put everyone behind the ball in OT in that situation. Nothing could have been too conservative. Jeezus, once again enough blaming the coaching for everything.

17. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    Ursula, we'd be glad to trade Denton and Williams to you guys for Prideaux. Please?

18. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    How about Ivanov and Alegria?

19. Glorious Save

Glorious Save Member

Sep 6, 2001
    Washington, DC Metro Area
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Overtime - Character Flaw

Blublub - my point was holding the ball (ie: possession). In fact, I agree with putting everyone behind the ball. We played kick-ball, not to lose the second overtime. The best way to run down the clock is to hold the ball and dribble into the corners like Cobi vs. Portugal :)

Plus, with our abysmal overtime record you've got to admit there is some kind of problem there....

20. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just returned from the DC game. Esky needs to be burned at the stake. that has to be THE DUMBEST FOUL i have ever seen under such a crucial point of the game. anyone who thinks that was a bad call on that yellow is nuts. as soon as i saw him slide through him, i turned to my friend (who i brought to his first MLS game), and said "he's gone. watch this. he's gone." I would have sent him off for that too. the bottom line is we made more dumb plays down the stretch and it cost us. its a good thing that Harkes and Wheelock on MLS Wrap said that Freddy Adu is coming to town to play for United next season, because that makes me care about this particular game just a little bit less. Hey, now we have another big game this weekend. Tell alllllllllllll your friends to come out and support the team. We need it!

21. DCFAN

DCFAN Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Walsh{R}

Did anybody else notice that Walsh was the player that should have been shown the yellow at the 8 minute mark of OT?
    It should have been a red for having two yellows.
    I cannot believe that that ref awarded two pk's that were very questionable and did not even give the yellow to the right player in OT. It was just pathetic.

22. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Just got back from RFK. That game was freaking horrible.

We sucked. Plain and simple, we looked like total crap, especially in the first half. Yes, the ref was horrible, and I'm not going to read every page of this thread. But to those of you who think the ref cost us this game (and I know there have to be some of you) you're flat out wrong.

We were the home team, yet it seemed to me as if we were playing for the point required to take us to the playoffs. WTF? Why the hell would ANY coach at home not play for all three points? Why the hell did Stoichkov get subbed out in about the 70th minute for a defender when Esky was on the bench?

God, that sucked so much. Bad ref, but United has no one but themselves to blame for that loss.

23. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

Fat chance. we won't take anything less than Chris Albright.

24. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    A-fricken'-men.

25. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    My disdain for OT continues to grow..

All-time record in OT now stands at a robust 4 wins, 11 losses and 21 draws..

We are now 5 OT losses ahead of our closest competitors, with 5 of them coming this season..

This team can play a decent 90 minute game, they just don't play well in 100 minute games.. OT is a joke and unfortunately the more times a team loses in OT, the more the league thinks it's necessary..

Boy, you should have heard the railing Petke was giving the team in the locker room after the match.. I lost count of the number or water bottles thrown and F-bombs landed..

This team simply can not afford to go to OT next week with Kansas.. It's mental at this point and they know they will lose the game someway somehow..

Despite the horrific reffing, United only has themselves to blame for losing this game.. We had at least half a dozen quality scoring chances in the second half to go ahead of Columbus and we weren't even bothered to put them on frame (Convey and Kovalenko)...

The loss of Kovalenko next week is going to hurt us more than anything else and it may be the difference in us making the playoffs.. Thanks Mr. Okulaja for carding Dema on a textbook sliding tackle.. Pathetic.......

So who plays d-mid next week?

Is it going to be Namoff (that would be my vote) or will it be Chino?

This is going to be a very difficult week my friends..

Don't forget to listen to "The Soccer Show" on www.wust1120.com tomorrow evening from 6-7 pm and help us commiserate in our misery..