Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by ursula, Oct 4, 2003.
Very nice effort by our beloveds.
Sachin is sexy.
If Sachin is sexy, then there's hope for all of us fat guys.
Let me just reiterate:
We're tied for second! We're tied for second! We're tied for second! We're tied for second! We're tied for second! We're tied for second!
That was a very important point under very difficult conditions.
I am proud of all the players who were wearing the DC United uniform tonight.
You bet Mike!
Great all-round effort:
- Props to Ray Hudson for a well thought our game plan.
-Etch with both creating the game tying PK and making it. After a slow start he play very well.
-Nellie was HUGE in the middle.
-Namoff a great performance.
-Martins was a menace all night.
-Baumstark was good enough. You could tell that our defenders had no idea what he was going to do and vice versa, but we survived.
-Connvey and Stewar did a lot of little things, as did Alegria. If you put Chino in a 352 in the middle, he does well repeatedly. Smart to put Stewart on the wing for defensive purposes.
-Even the subs were useful: Hristo and Galin.
That's what we call character, boys and girls.
No question about this team's determination.
On to Foxboro!!!!
Wow, our defense was a rock. Rookie goal keeper steps off a plane and our defense makes him look great. Namoff played the game of his life. Everytime I looked up he was in the mix. Convey too played really good, almost won the game at the very end. And lets not forget Etcheverry. I don't know why other players don't let him dribble in the box instead of lunge at ball. It is exactly what he wants them to do and he will drag his foot over them and go down by getting tripped and get the penalty.
We deserve the point if not the win and we deserve the playoffs. Looking forward to getting Petke and Dema back next week but hate to see Nelsen leave.
Great tie - considering the circumstances it feels like a win.
-The Far Side
Me and my brother were talking about this game at my nieces match this afternoon. Carlos was worried about all the stars we were missing. I told him sometimes adversity like this helps UNITE a team.
Huge props for the heart the team showed tonight.
ps..what was that keeps name again?
A well fought effort!!
My MOTM, Marco!
Did I just say that???
Marco had several strong defensive contributions,
and drawing the PK was a piece of beautiful work.
High praise for Baumstark, played VERY well
under the circumstances.
Ernie with a GREAT night's cumalitive work.
Same of Namoff, Q2, Ryan and Brandon.
A point is a point. I'll take it.
Baumstark means "strong tree" auf Deutsch
Actually, it's "treestrong" but close enough.
Clint Baumstark. He is more than likely going to be our backup keeper from now on. Geddes will remain at third (poor guy can't catch a break).
what a game! dc came through with a important 1 point stalmate. if dc win next week or split the points and CLB lose to CHI then dc are in the playoffs
wow that was a group of guys with balls. columbus went for it and we withstood it well. we had a lot of guys like namoff and martins step up and play well. convey was much better than wednesday. stewart had a great two way game and bradon and nelsen were studs at the back. chino and cheyo had solid matches and marco had moments of sheer brilliance. he also worked hard defending. ronald had a nice game as well.
man i like the fight and heart in this team. they fought their asses off on wednesday and they did the same last night. they aren't necessarily the most talented team or play the most brilliant football, but damn they sure have guts and gumption. my hat is off to the lads and all the fans who made the trip.
Unbelievable! Great tie-almost guarantees us the playoffs. I was surprised at just how terrible Columbus was-I'm sure their fans are going to be VERY upset!
MOTM - Marco, dribbling through and around like the old days.
From the Comcast broadcast, I get the impression that Rongon had a lot to do with getting the keeper loaned to us for the game. I guess it worked since the tie is okay by me.
WARNING- NEW ENGLAND-DALLAS RESULTS [R]
If you're taping New England-Dallas, look away while you scroll down.
New England's taking it to Dallas (Surprise! ) Next week is going to be MASSIVE.
Why? They've played like that all year.
Today was a great day. Nobody got hurt, Texas won, DC won, and I just won a bitchin' DC sweatshirt! All is right with the world!
Marco showed up and had a great game, but I bet he'll get dogged later in the week.
Great effort by the team. This weeks tie feels like a win as opposed to last weeks tie.
Watching the game, I'm really concerned about Ray's health. I can't imagine how his insides must feel. The man needs to take something to relax during the game or he will never finish the season.
Now if only Dallas can come back against NE and SJ does a job on the Scum.
IIRC, going into this game our magic number was seven -- any combination of our winning seven points or C'bus losing seven. So now our magic number is four because tonight we won one point, bringing it from seven to six, and C'bus lost two, since they didn't win. That would mean any combination of four points from our last three games or C'bus dropping points gets us in to the playoffs.
Of course, where we go from there is another question.
1. Let no-one doubt the heart of this team. We should have crumbled and emploded a lot of earlier times in the season. This team has never quit, never lost heart, never conceded. I can't say we always play smart, stylish, attractive soccer but you've got to respect what these guys bring to the field.
2. Yes, despite everything I just said, this was a attitude builder (Chico's comment I think). This team came in to Columbus badly hurt with so many different people out (man--missing a keeper b/c of a wedding?) and still battled. You've got to believe that all of those last-minute goals for the season have the Metro's believing they can find a way to pull out matches. Well, stuff like this is exactly the kind of thing that gets a team (DCU in this case) feeling like no matter what, they'll grab a result.
3. I thought Baumstark was a league "loaner". While we could put Ben or Nick on season-ending IR, I still don't think we'd have the cap room to sign Baumstark. I believe he's the equivalent of what MLS used to do when a team was short a keeper (national team callup or injury)--you had permission to callup a guy from the A-league on short notice (until that agreement ended anyway).
4. Columbus has got to be crying right now. Not just the result but also how the game went. They were at home. We were the soccer equivalent of being on the ropes and they couldn't knock us out or even gain a decision on points--we hung tough.
I said at the start of the season that I thought Columbus was the most talented team in MLS--there is just no excuse for their season and to hang tough with them in these circumstances just says a boatload about the guts of the players of the team we all root for.
And, out of charecter for me,I'll come to Marco's defense this week.
His heart and effort deserve that, Chico.
Right. This, kids, is how one point becomes three points.
Marco did play well. The team showed heart tonight. I'll take this tie and look forward to our next match.