Official DC United vs Chicago Fire PRE Match Thread • Game One

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Oct 27, 2003.

1. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yeah, but week one he was the guy saying Chicago at #10, I think he's just trying really hard to make up for that one.

1) Los Angeles – No reason not to rank them on top, is there?
    2) Columbus – An in-form McBride should help them start well. Tough early test, though…
    3) San Jose – This should be Landon’s year, how will the D hold up?
    4) New England – Can they build on last year’s run?
    5) Kansas City – Honest workers are never a pushover
    6) MetroStars – Bradley will right the ship, but give it some time
    7) Colorado – El Pibe is gone, which will help overall. Still need a target, though.
    8) Dallas – Is D.J. ready back there?
    9) DC United – I’m as eager as anyone to see what happens with this side
    10) Chicago – Fans in Naperville may need a program

2. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Nope. 35 hours and counting.........

3. Well put. Last game at RFK this season and I am fired up. Want to give a big Hurah for the Black and Red and I think we can take Chicago. Wouldn't surprise me if both games end in a 0-0 tie and we go to penalty kicks.

OUR DEFENSE RULES!

Party at RFK this saturday: 7:30 till ?

-The Far Side

4. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Keys and Line-Ups

quote:Originally posted by sch2383
    I say 3-5-2 like so:

--------Cerritos---Martins-----
    -------------Etch------------
    Convey------Dema--------Stewart
    ------------Namoff-------------
    Prideaux-------Petke-------Nelsen
    -------------Warren---------------

this line-up is as good as any - it can (or at least should) transition from a defensive 4-4-2 to an attacking 3-4-3 seamlessly - The real keys are (1) big games by key players; (2) match-ups; (3) transition in mid-field

(1) I like Dema's tenacity in mid-field -I think we'll get a least one monster game from him against Chicago - hopefully both - And Stoichkov, too - not nearly ready for a full 90, but only as a early 2nd half sub - even if we're winning inserting him into the line-up will keep us fired up - Cerritos has dangerous change-of-pace speed, and Martin can match up physically and hold the ball in the penalty area - how well can we take advantage of these?

(2) I think the key match-ups are negating Chris Armas' organizing the Off from the back and defending DMB - right now only Convey could do either but he can't do both - this is why Olsen's loss is so critical - I'd put him off to the side to defend DMB and let Stewart play a smart harassing game against Armas - DMB can be dangerous, but I can't figure out why he plays so badly with the Fire yet so well on the National Team - obviously the defenders need to clamp down on the Chi forwards - if Nelsen can do that on Razov I think it makes everyone else's defensive responsibilities that much easier

(3) transistion in mid-field is the real key - line-ups and formations don't mean a thing on the field - fluidity, transition, covering, supporting, runs into space and tracking back will be the keys - the series will be won or lost in mid-field - seriously - does Chi really have any great midfielders besides Armas and DMB? - maybe Jesse Marsch - (wish we had kept Talley)

I still predict a heady 3-1 victory by DC Saturday night - They can't afford to sit on a one goal lead - Only until the last 5-10 minutes should they disregard a lead and continue pressing the attack - in Soccer as in Football: The best Defense is a good Offense

John L
    (Jersey #111 - my IQ in Binary)

PS: Arena (and Rongen - AND TALLEY!! [had the assist on Preki's goal]) were in the locker room after last Sats game

5. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Keys and Line-Ups

I'd rather see the lineup below for the reason you mention above, as well as Hristo will run hard for a half and we've got a qucker passing team on the field. I think Santino will do something special if he's on......

Yabo

--------Hristo---Martins-----
    -------------Stewart------------
    Convey------Dema--------Quaranta
    ------------Namoff-------------
    Prideaux-------Petke-------Nelsen
    -------------Warren---------------

6. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What he said.

7. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    T-33 hours and counting

8. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I was grilling dinner last night, I looked up and the sky was RED & BLACK - this has got to be a sign that we will triumph this weekend. Or that plasma clouds were causing funny refractions of light due to storms on the sun. Maybe both :)

9. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The regular season doesn't matter anymore. It was just to see who gets to go to the playoffs. Now that we're in we've got just as much of a chance as anybody else out there.

In probably his last match at RFK stadium, in the biggest match in years, with a chance to knock off the pretenders from Chicago, El Diablo will have the game of his life. A herd of wild buffalo cannot deter Marco from the goal. Bobby Convey will show the world why Tottenham wanted to bring him to England. What better stage to showcase than in front of thousands of RABID DC UNITED fanatics and upset the "vaunted" Chicago Fire. Dema and Hristo want bragging rights all off-season. Martins will pummel the big, hulking, cornfed, sows playing defense for Chicago into submission. Earnie wants to show Chicago's two youngin's who call themselves wingers how to play the game. He will show those boys who the man is.

Our backline of Nellie, Petke, and Prideaux ARE the "toughest" defenders in MLS. They are all studs. They will rise to the challenge of the ambiguously gay duo razov and ralph.

My prediction. Here at RFK, in front of the best fans MLS has to offer, DC United starts of the home and home series with an emphatic win. 4-0.

The stands will be bouncing, the noise deafening, the intensity crackling and popping in the air. An early goal by Petke off a corner (yes a corner), Chicago pushes for the tie and lets in another from Martins before the half. The backbreaker comes from Dema who jumps into the stands to celebrate. A demoralized Chicago lets in a goal just before stoppage time from Marco who gets a standing ovation in his last game at RFK stadium....

10. Eismahn

Eismahn Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Silver Spring,Maryla
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh my....

dude, I don't think it's possible for me to even dream having that dream. Here's to having it happen though.. you should really be writing for a living- stick to happy endings. Talk about text-book storybook.

Oh, and uhn...roughly 31 hours and counting....

11. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Re: oh my....

You can't handle the truth! ;)

12. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    I have said it before but will say it again. We kick their ass 0-0 with them hitting the posts or crossbar 3 times.

13. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pass the pipe to the left, dude. :D

14. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't tell which way is left anymore...

:D

15. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I am SO STOKED.

Bring it on, Barn Burners!

16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Is anyone else concerned that we might accumulate more than a few cards in this match? I am.

And to be honest, there's a couple ex-Fire players in particular whose getting ejected wouldn't surprise me. Both of them are already prone to getting overheated, and both of them would undoubtedly love to stuff it to their old team.

Who's reffing this thing anyway?

I'm just thinking out loud, wondering if anyone else is thinking the same.

17. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    27 and a half hours to go...

18. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United
    I could see Hristo losing it, but does anyone really think Dema will fly off the handle? I know his rep but I would think he can focus for a playoff game.

19. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Shhh.

As for the ref, I didn't see it posted on mlsnet. I was looking forward to complaining about who we got. :)

20. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    some piece of shite that doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.

3-1 DC United. ;)

21. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    That goes without saying.
    But what's his name?

22. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Brandon Pollard would disagree.

23. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
  24. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I think Valenzuela used to lead the league in handing out red cards.

25. Eismahn

Eismahn Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Silver Spring,Maryla
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: oh my....

Funny, but have been told I not only handle it, but dish it out more than most as well. Not sure I'm being clear, so- Like I've said, I'd LOVE for it to happen, and anything's possible.
    Either way, I hope we get a significant win of 2 goals or more ahead going to Chicago.

At least that way, we can dispense with the negativity and focus on a deep playoff run. If not, we're sure to get more of the same 2nd guessing mumbo-jumbo that no one really needs.

Well, drummers- make sure your sticks are intact and drumheads secured, cause we need it loud and long tomorrow night.

And getting back to storybooks, -
    Anyone else get the feeling this team coulda played Mandy Patinkin's role as that steel-wielding Spaniard Inigo Montoya? Or maybe even better, us fans.
    "I need the man in black...Look, he bested you with strength, your greatness, he bested me with steel, he must have out thought Vizzini. and a man who can do that can plan my castle onslaught any day. Let's go ..."
    ANDRE :Where?
    "to find the man in black obviously."
    ANDRE:But you don't know where he is.

"Don't bother me with trifles. After 20 years, at last my father's soul will be at peace. THERE WILL BE BLOOD TONIGHT!!!"

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya.. you killed my father. Prepare to die."

just change man to men, Vizzini to Gansler, 20 years to 6, and father's soul to MLS Cup, and we can be screaming at Saturday's game:

"Hello. Our name is DC UNITED. You took OUR cup in 1998- Prepare to Die.!!! "

over the top? Maybe, just a bit.Whaddya think?