Official DC United vs CD Chivas USA POST Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Aug 13, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Match report on MLSNet says strained oblique.

2. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

But we are only a .500 team that got lucky at the end of the season, remember?

3. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    touche!

Ah. I forgot about Nana and the heat stroke.

4. rwhgeek

rwhgeek Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Combined with the chants from both sets of fans echoing around RFK, it created an the atmosphere reminiscent of Chivas' Mexican League roots." This is a quote from MLSnet. What the ********? I heard zero, nada, zilch Chivas fans. What's more I checked on their board and the have a hundred + post on a Chivas girl getting fired and zilch on today's match. Don't know what to say, I'm just sayin' what the ********.

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20050813&content_id=39741&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

5. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Hey now! That's a quality thread.

6. rtiemens

rtiemens Member

Aug 16, 1999
    Virginia
    Mybe they meant, "both Chivas fans . . ." :D

7. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    How true. Nowak has produced a relentless, merciless, hard-working, no-excuses team that doesn't grip about the weather or use it for an excuse. I look at some of our fixture congestion (early in the season and then now) and just shake my head--we're not hearing anything from anyone on the side that hints of whining or "poor us" let alone see a side that figures its time to mail one in or "we're due for an off day."

We may not finish first in our division. But anyone else who does will have certainly earned it b/c we're getting ready to make a serious stretch run.

8. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    No help at all from the West tonight.
    Albright got screwed out of a goal that would have tied it for the Gals.

9. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One time in the first half, we quiet-siders were chanted down by Chivas fans. Salvatore had to change his rhythm to get us lame-ass quiet-side DC fans chanting enough to beat them back down.

But other than that, they were pretty quiet. Of course, their team is not an MLS-quality team. They might struggle in the A-league. So I can't blame them for being so quiet.

10. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Well, I know that the Barra and Screaming Eagles were singing songs about Tijuana and waving a dismembered Chiva goat pinata so the MLSnet writer probably just got confused. I also spotted a nice-looking inflatable Chivagirl there. But it might have just been Ramon Ramirez' nanny.

11. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    He's produced a team that plays the tame the way he did. I was very cautiously excited about Nowak coming here to coach, because this was exactly what I hwas *hoping* would happen, but didn't really know if it would happen, or how long it might take. But wow, Piotr Nowak has created an incredibly fearless and dynamic team of 2-way players ... well except for Prideaux.

My only concerns are 1) injuries and 2) peaking too early. Otherwise, game on!

-Digital

12. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    there were people in Chivas jerseys around, but when you don't have an organized group you need 5:1 odds to drown out organized chants.

MLSnet staff doesn't write from stadium i think, so maybe he just watched and heard ole ole ole and thought it was Mexicans :D

13. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we relegate Chivas to the Mexican 4th division??:)

14. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I'm shocked at how good Boswell is, and can't fathom that its still his rookie season ... amazing. This guy is the type of defender you can build a team around. I do think that he could be pulled into the national team. If you recall the Chelsea game he completely dominated defensively against a world-class team, albeit in pre-season, but pretty close to the start of their season. Not many US players can do that, and Boswell will only get better.

In fact, I'd be surprised if Boswell doesn't get a call up here fairly soon, because Bruce always likes to give a guy a taste of Nats Camp before he really starts grooming him. Also, Bruce remembers the last World Cup, and his one regret was not blooding another young defender (Bocanegra!) in the run-up. IMHO, Boswell's ahead of Marshall, Parkhurst, and all the other young center backs defensively, and he's proved the ability to finish on set pieces, one of our traditional Achilles Heels.

I bet Wynalda knows something and Boswell is on Arena's short list for Germany ... he may not make the team, but he's probably in consideration. And, I wouldn't be surprised if he actually made the team.

-Digital

15. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    [​IMG]

CSC demanded that ChivasGrrl be deflated. There was a collective WTF? from our section.

16. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Here's what I absolutely loved about the Q goal . . .

The game was knotted up and Chivas had fairly effectively packed things in. Boz steps up and says "Screw this, I see the opening, I'm making a run." That goal was all Boz. He breaks through some just STUNNED Chivas players and puts a ball on a big, fat, silver platter for Tino.

That, my friends is not a rookie. That is not the handiwork of someone who has just over 20 games in the league. That is a man showing leadership beyond his years.

It absolutely energized the team and gutted the Goats.

Play of the game, in my mind.

17. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    I am. I hated the arrogance displayed by Vergara & Co. in the way they talked about winning the league easily. I guess the game plan was to throw together a patchwork lineup of marginal talent and try to compete in MLS, which is a much tougher, more physical league than they thought. Oh, and the theme for the patchwork team was (mostly) Latino surnames. Like only Latinos can play the game!

I am ecstatic that they're getting a nice hard slap in the face. They are in line to end up as the worst team in MLS history. Hallelujah.

I root against Chivas USA every match. Except when Galaxy or Metros play them. Then I hope for a tie.

Should Club America buy the Earthquakes and remake the lineup into Club (North)America, I guarantee they'll be a lot smarter.

18. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    No problem. Just make sure that 1000 of them show up in the stands next time ...

19. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    I don't mean to rain on the Dema parade, but the guy should have six goals in the past three games. He has been making the runs, but his teammates have set him up for a lot more goals (sitters) than he has scored.

I think that the vision and passing are the key to the outbreak in goalscoring that we have been seeing. Although the fitness thing makes a difference. In a bad game or when guys are out of shape, they are not making those runs quite as often.

I am not going to be satisfied until we really bust out and score 8 goals. I know I am greedy. But when you look at the chances we have been generating, we ought to have one of those games.

20. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    Anyone doubting the tremendous paucity of coaching in MLS need only look at DC and the way we win:

1) Peter Nowak puts together a great system and teaches his guys how to play it.

2) The following players run amok: Clyde Simms (was A-league anyone could have had him), Jaime Moreno (was washed up, virtually anyone could have had him), Jamil Walker (cut by Chivas USA), Dema Kovalenko (shopped to entire league, no takers), Josh Gros (mid-round draft pick - most of the guys in his draft round are probably out of the league), Bobby Boswell (who?:)), Brandon Prideaux, Brian Namoff (that attacking midfielder who had to go to Richmond to get playing time and was making all of $24,000 at the beginning of last year), John Wilson (A-leaguer whom anyone could have had) . . .

3) No one can adjust to what we do, because we do it so well. The only coaches who really have a chance are Kinnear, Gansler, Nicol and Colin Clarke (a bit underrated, though his team is seriously underachieving right now). Every other coach in this league is a make-weight.

Anyone else having to cover their eyes when they watch teams other than DC playing this year? We are simply a cut above, the way that we execute our game plan AND pass the ball around. Even KC and NE play ugly-ball (though they execute pretty well). We make the rest of MLS look so bad. :cool:

21. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do games against those guys count in the standings?

22. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game should be sent to any potential foreign investor with the note, "We're not ********ing around. This league is better than you think."

23. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too hot. Really. I think I got heat exhaustion yesterday, and I was on the shady side.

Which makes this victory all the more epic. Bozilla is the man.

The only good thing Chivas brought was a mariachi band in the tunnel from Lot 8 - I dig mariachi music so props to them for that. Otherwise, they just stunk the place up.

24. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    There were a couple of Chivas chants on the quiet side of the stadium. Drowned out quickly by DC United.

That team sucks. We are good but we need to hold this form for 3 months which could be tough.

25. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United
    About a month, month and 1/2 ago i was worried that while we were doing alright, it seemed that our only goals came from gomito or jamie. Last 4 games have yeilded 10 goals, and i think to say they came from the "supporiting cast" is lame. DC is the epitome of team play, so many examples of that latley, ( the ny game walkers layoff to Dema for example). Even with the Press still rabid over Adu, there is no ego problem, there is no lazy, there is no mercy. 3 straight 3 goal games.... we are kicking ass.