Official DC United-Metrostars Playoff Leg 1 Postmatch Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by SABuffalo786, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Earnie Stewart timed an absolutely gorgeous run to a T, walked a ball in on goal, and not only didn't fire it into the upper deck, but sent it into the upper corner. I think that right there breeds overconfidence on the supporter's side.

With that being said, I think Earnie likes those 1 v. 1 breakaway from the right side against Walker.

2. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    I would like to take a moment to apologize to Mr. Rimando. i am sorry for doubting you this season. Perhaps it was truly because your injuries were not fully healed. I dissed you many times, especially in May. I love your new knees and I would like to say thanks!

IMHO Man of the Match. Without him it could have been 4-2.
    [​IMG]

PS. 1 minute into coverage who is on the screen? Natty and the boys holding up the Who's your daddy banner. BRILLIANT!

3. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all.... MAD PROPS to the travelling supporters. You guys outchanted the rest of the stadium. The most the Scum fans could do was muddle it up so you couldn't *quite* hear what u were saying. But that was only once. For the rest of the match you could clearly hear the now famous "DC United" chants among others.

Other notes: Eanie's start was a surprise to me, and not one I would have done, but Nowak was clearly right with his choice. When Gros came in his energy was so high he committed a couple of fouls right away and may (or may not) have gotten a yellow crashing into regan. I think nowak wanted someone a little calmer in that situation and earnie provided just that.

good to see Q1 out there even tho he only touched the ball once or twice.

Esky's been quiet lately, so his goal was real nice

Walker's tantrums after every goal are really amusing. i wonder if the defense ever gets tired of being yelled at...

NY made a very clear decision to *swarm* around moreno with 3 and sometimes 4 players mobbing him.

guevara vs moreno was, i think, the most telling battle on the night. if your attacking mid is defending against the other team's forward your offense is in trouble. NY's was definitely in trouble.

while NY did have a few chances to score, all of theirs were half-chances (other than guevara's free kicks), whereas our's were free 1v1s with the goalie. if dema converts 1 of his 3 chances the game is over much earlier.

Bradley shot his load making all offensive subs in the second half and got nothing for it. What else can they do when they come to DC? play harder? barring a collapse by DC, i dont see NY leaving RFK with a victory....

4. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a great road trip .... and an awesome result.

It was quite nice of United to wait until they were shooting into the goal right in front of us to score :) IT sure was fun to ride Johnny Walker in the second half. Playing DC must be really bad for his self-esteem ;)

I forgot to tape it, so I'm now waiting for Tuesday's replay on FSW. I wish CSN would reshow the darn games, I'd rather see/hear that version instead. But I guess it's hard to find a slot to do it amongst all that paid programming ...

5. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    That really was an absolutely class save. And he deserves all the kudos -- he played very very well.

I just wish he didn't try to turn EVERY save into one just like the one pictured. It's ok to take a step and catch the ball.

Sometimes less is more, Nicky, less is more.

6. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    There's no way he could've caught the ball on that save. That's a shot of Rimando saving Guevara's free kick.

And I too would like to openly apoligize to Nick for ever doubting his skills. Fantastic game on Saturday night!!!

7. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    I think he still gets a bit, off, but he has learned or rather re-learned to correct his mistakes in a split second. He was caught off gaurd several times Saturday night, and the last two times we played NY but the BIG (GIANT NEON SIGN BIG) difference is when he makes those mistakes he corrects them. The first shot of Woly's was very very close and it would have gotten past him if Woly had actually had it about a foot to the left. And the corner which Nick missed but then suddenly appeared directly in front of the path of the ball was beautiful.. The same situation happened in GS several weeks ago when Nellie deflected a ball and Gaven shot it luckily Rimando popped back up in time.

So again, sorry for dissing you Nicky...ok enough grovelling.

8. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    I was at the game, sitting as usual on the "Quiet Side," which at a Metros game appears to be just about anywhere DCU supporters aren't sitting...

Really, the difference in attendance between Saturday night and just two weeks ago was really quite amazing. Yes, it was a significantly colder, but where were all of the youth teams/kids that packed the lower bowl when we played there just two weeks ago...

Also, this is somewhat off topic, but when I got up to my Dad's house in northern NJ on Saturday morning he showed me the Metrostars Playoff Special Section which had appeared in Friday's Newark Star-Ledger (this is basically the main paper for suburban NJ). There were about 5/6 articles breaking down the series, the coaches, the team's strengths, etc.

I was very impressed that the paper had put this together and was kind of bemoaning the fact that I had never seen anything to this extent in the Post or Times, and then I noticed that it was a "Special Advertising Section". So basically the Metros or MLS office had paid to insert this section into the paper (they recouped at least some of their cost by selling advertising). Interesting... Although if the goal was to increase interest/attendance it obviously didn't accomplish that goal very well... which leads to :

Metrostars Playoff Fever. This is just a terrible marketing idea. Those red hats were just idiotic... Really, can' they come up with something better?

Anyway, with re: to the game:

So my wife, my sister, and I are walking up to the box office to buy tickets and some woman asks us if we'd like free tickets (even though I'm all decked out in DCU gear). We say sure, and she hands us three vouchers that look like they were paid for by Verizon. I head up to the ticket window and hand the guy the vouchers and he gives us three tickets right at midfield, Row 13. Nice...

We decided to get some space and sit a couple of sections over and a couple of rows closer - where I had a pretty good view of Earnie's breakaway. I would say that it was very close. At the game I would have guessed that he was MAYBE a yard ahead of the defender closest to him but it was a very close call - sure he was 20 yards ahead when the ball arrived but that's b/c all of the Metros just stopped. Factor in the defender on the far side of the field and I'm pretty sure he was onside...

What has happened to Dema? Especially these last couple of months. Team MVP last year who scored all sorts of clutch goals to can't even get a breakaway on goal.

Every time I focus in on Brian Carroll and watch him for a couple of minutes I become more and more impressed.

Had just mumbled something to my wife about Esky not really having a good game when bam, he cuts in and puts the game away.

In the parking lot after the game some 10 year old kid starts yelling at me saying that the ref gave us the game. I tell him it doesn't matter, we still won and then his dad gets into it yelling that the ref gave us the game. His son then says it doesn't matter b/c we still suck. I observe that we have now won four games in a row over the Metros and it would appear that they are actually the ones who suck. He considers this and sulks away quietly while his dad mutters something. Amusing...

On to game 2. At the game, when Esky scored, I said to my wife that it was just a dagger to the Metros, but it's really not all that bad. If they get a goal in the first half next week suddenly it gets a lot more interesting...

We need to finish this strong, score an early goal next week and just end any hope they might have...

9. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you hear the Metros sing?

{No-oooooo, No-ooooooo}

{No-oooooo, No-ooooooo}

{I CAN'T HEAR A FVCKING THING!}