Official DC United @ Columbus Crew PRE Match Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Jun 30, 2005.

1. thecheat48

thecheat48 New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Potential lineup:

Rimando,
    Stokes, Boswell, Wilson
    Carroll, Simms
    Dema, Gomez, Gros
    Nana, Jaime

Bench:
    Adu (comes in 2nd half)
    Walker (comes in late, maybe)
    Prideaux (maybe doesnt play)
    Perkins
    Kukenydall or however you spell it

Esky is out and Prideaux might get benched for Stokes.

Maybe Nowak starts Adu and Simm or Carroll (leaving the other holding M for the second half).

2. kirchhausen

kirchhausen Member+

Apr 17, 2004
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is what I would like to see:

Rimando,
    Stokes, Boswell, Wilson
    Simms
    Dema, Adu, Gomito, Gros
    Nana, Jaime

Bench:
    Carroll
    Walker
    Prideaux
    Perkins
    Kuykendall

3. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I think we're in better shape this year than last. The one big caveat is that last year we had 3 players really turn it on: Eskandarian got hot, Moreno had an MVP year and we had Nellie. Those were 3 big aces.

But our team last year was much rawer (Eskandarian, Stokes, Carroll were basically rookies, Perkins got thrust into a key role, the Adu mess, unheralded Gros getting major minutes from the git-go, etc. etc.).

We've played a tough schedule. Unless things fall through, we'll add a quality defender in August and our defense (which is mostly good but has some bad lapses) will be much better. And our attack will improve b/c our control and distribution in the back will likely be much better.

Last year wasn't a fluke. Nor did we "get hot" at the end. We owned the Metros all year and that's who we faced in the playoffs. The Crew were pretenders last year despite their record. That meant we got to play NE at home and that was the difference in a tight match. To argue our play last year was a fluke is like arguing KC's play last year was a fluke.

We're positioned to do well. But the keys are:
    --our AAAA has to be a plus (not a strikeout ala Cassio or Howe or some other foreigners who came into MLS and didn't impress).
    --someone has to start scoring some goals. No, not 15 goals a season. But be it Adu, Quaranta, Kuffour, Moreno or a return to health by Eskandarian, ONE of those guys needs to get us 5-8 more goals in the run of play over the remainder of the season. That, combined with the rest of our offensive distribution, should put us in good shape with our attack.

4. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Regardless, you need to pick up points in the [relatively] easy matches. Come on, Nana!

I had forgotten about this a-hole. I'm starting to get fired up about this game, now. Better make sure the Captain is on the house tonight.

5. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I wholeheartedly agree.

DC United was the best team last year. Yes it did take them a while (numerous players missed significant portions of last year) but at the end they were able to get everyone playing the new system, with numerous players.

Is DC United a solid team this year? Yes they are, the team just needs to be more consistent and focused during games.

The new addition to the team (if they sign one in August) may help to take the team to a higher level once again.

6. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Joe, we ended up winning 9 out of our last 10 matches. I'm not just drawing on the "easy" road to MLS Cup via the Metrotards.

My point is is that if you take the entire Nowak era and take that season ending run out of the equation, I think you'll find that we have been mediocre at best.

11-14-13

I think the fact that this team is so inpet at attaining wins on the road has everything to do with those awful numbers. Throw in our season ending run and Nowak's record is a hefty 16-15-13 during his young MLS career so far.

Not exactly awe inspiring stuff there.

Thus, my point of us winning 9 out of 10 most certainly qualifies as a fluke at this point because we haven't been able to put together a run like that since the last century (the preceding phrase was used for dramatic effect :D).

Hell, I'd take 4 out of 5 at this point. Every other team in the league that's not Columbus or an expansion team doesn't have much trouble in putting up those numbers.

7. thecheat48

thecheat48 New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Washington, DC
    I tend to agree with this lineup. Against a team like Columbus,I'd rather see United come out with Adu and try and score in the first as opposed to playing two def Ms like Carroll and Simms. We'll see. Carroll can come on in the 2nd for Gomez if United needs a more defensive midfield.

8. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Here's the lineup I'd like to see:

------------Rimando------------

--Prideaux---Boswell---Wilson--

---------Carroll/Simms-----(Nowak's pick)

---Gros----Dema---Christian---Adu

----Kuffour-------Moreno-----

9. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's sort of sad that game time is only twenty-five minutes away and the last post in this thread was almost three hours ago.

I hope that means everyone went to the game, but somehow I doubt it.