[OFFICIAL] David Beckham Joins The Galaxy Thread Part 2

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by profiled, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Goldenstick

Goldenstick Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Bridge City, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets talk about you, Troy Roberts...

So what do YOU think about David Beckham?

http://dailycal.org/sharticle.php?id=22717

(Courtesy of Google Alerts, BTW)

4. Mrs. FlapJack

Mrs. FlapJack Member

Apr 8, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Re: Lets talk about you, Troy Roberts...

I liked that third article. Good interview, Troy!

5. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

That was a good interview. Troy sounds like someone who will go far. Although it's kind of sad to see that they fly Southwest. I wonder if they have a staff member who signs them in ahead of time, or do some of the late arrivers end up standing in the "C" line? :)

6. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have never seen the Galaxy traveling, except for Hartman and a trainer at LAX, but I've run into MLS teams hanging out in the airport like everyone else three times. U.S. Air and United usually. :)

7. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Albright: Looks like Beckham got the middle seat next to the lavatory.
    Cobi Jones: Haha, rookie mistake.

8. JuiceBox

JuiceBox Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Riverside, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. DougO

DougO Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    on slumming

Jealousy? We wandering homeless ones, with no team to call our own anymore, are more afflicted with idle curiosity. What's it feel like to have AEG pissing money all over you, instead of what we were showered with? Is not the reaction of the Galaxy fans to the Beckham/Donovan on-field marriage a legitimate topic for the rest of us? Do you yet feel like New York, after another disappointing season and yet another new league rule so obviously shoved through for your benefit that it was named for your new signing?
    With jokes like yours, twisting the knife even a year after your sugardaddies plunged it in, you can bet it wasn't any degree of class. Did the neg-rep hurt your feelings? Maybe The Cadaver shouldn't kick the corpses of thousands of fans' hopes. Even some of the Galaxy fans had the nous to tell us they thought what happened to us was a shame, and that display of character is still appreciated. Yours? Not so much.

DougO

10. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: We will be as big as Galatasary

If that's the type of press you want for LA Galaxy. You can keep it. I'd rather have no press than be the biggest joke in the world. The only bad thing is this makes all of us, not just the Gals, look like a big joke.

11. Rafa

Rafa New Member

Aug 16, 2004
    The Bay Area failed MLS and the sport in this country. It wasn't the corporate parent, it wasn't a national conspiracy, it wasn't strange social forces. It was the lack of a$$es in the seats.

Back to point: Beckham is a good thing for the league and our team. So the Heneiken bombers are going to cost $15 now. Big deal.

12. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: on slumming

Go hold hands with a Mutiny fan and console each other about how unfair life is.

13. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what does "The Hindu" think of the Beckham deal?

Press coverage from India. Seems like the whole world is getting in on this one.

http://www.sportstaronnet.com/stories/20070127015703700.htm

Thought you might like this line:

"the capacity of the Galaxy's little stadium is a mere 87,000."

Which leads me to think I have been BADLY underestimating our attendence! :D

Also, note the ad on the left for a "Free David Beckham" jersey. :D

14. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People already dont like him on the team so I mean what does that say??

15. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it does "mention" Beckham

As some of you know, in my "other" life I tend goal in an ice hockey beer league in the SFV. My team features several geezers on Social Security. One of us has a son who is the sports editor of the Cornell Sun, and here is a too true column he wrote about his experiences playing with us this summer, and note his comment on Beckham about 3/4 of the way through the story.

http://cornellsun.com/node/20933

16. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please, tell us all about this mythical club you cheer for...

17. rtdavide

rtdavide Member+

Apr 20, 2005
    Whittier, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: So what does "The Hindu" think of the Beckham deal?

Obviously typoed the stadium seating, since nowhere on the planet would 87,000 be a "little stadium".

But he also seems to be under the impression that the Galaxy are paying the entirety of the 128 mil pounds of the contract. I get this sense from the fact that he seems to be wondering how we can pay for the contract when the size of the stadium is only [2]7,000 seats.

he says that while lots of kids do play soccer, they "steadfastly fail to support" MLS because it is only second rate soccer.

and the bit about MLS being "second rate soccer" while true is a bit frustrating. How many places does one find "first rate soccer"? I would think it's a relative handful of countries comparatively that have better leagues than ours: obviously england, spain, italy, germany, some of the larger teams in portugal, holland, and in this hemisphere, brazil, argentina, and perhaps mexico.... but are we really so far behind most of the rest of europe and south america? are we behind india?

and when he says Beckham is talking about bringing other stars, he seems to imply he was thinking of bring them all HERE to LA, which would "unbalance the league, just as the Cosmos did..."

18. Anteaters FC

Anteaters FC New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Santa Monica

Jeez...even if that's a typo and they meant it to be 27,000, should an Indian paper be passing judgment on another country's soccer infrastructure?

19. rtdavide

rtdavide Member+

Apr 20, 2005
    Whittier, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Obviously typoed the stadium seating, since nowhere on the planet would 87,000 be a "little stadium".

But he also seems to be under the impression that the Galaxy are paying the entirety of the 128 mil pounds of the contract. I get this sense from the fact that he seems to be wondering how we can pay for the contract when the size of the stadium is only [2]7,000 seats.

he says that while lots of kids do play soccer, they "steadfastly fail to support" MLS because it is only second rate soccer.

and the bit about MLS being "second rate soccer" while true is a bit frustrating. How many places does one find "first rate soccer"? I would think it's a relative handful of countries comparatively that have better leagues than ours: obviously england, spain, italy, germany, some of the larger teams in portugal, holland, and in this hemisphere, brazil, argentina, and perhaps mexico.... but are we really so far behind most of the rest of europe and south america? are we behind india?

and when he says Beckham is talking about bringing other stars, he seems to imply he was thinking of bring them all HERE to LA, which would "unbalance the league, just as the Cosmos did..."

20. galvanator

galvanator Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Atascadero, CA USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The author of this article is actually a Brit, Brian Glanville, who according to there website, writes exclusively for World Soccer. I am a little suspicious of this article as it is similar to one in World Soccer, but without the obvious mistakes:

http://www.worldsoccer.com/glanville/

21. marts1x

marts1x Member

Feb 4, 2005
  22. USA_2014

USA_2014 New Member

Jun 22, 2005

This article just goes to show, "if it ain't Scottish, it's crap!":D

oh, yes. India: soccer capital of the world :p

Whooah, this article is dated Jan. 27th... and today is only the 26th.

It's like, we're reading about sh1t that hasn't even happened yet... Wicked-awesome!!!

23. JuiceBox

JuiceBox Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Riverside, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, this guy is the real deal, I keep hearing about how much of a class act he is. I am excited to have someone with so much quality joining our team. I think Galaxy fans haven't begun to realize how lucky we are to get David Beckham.

Good find, thanks for posting it.

24. Rafa

Rafa New Member

Aug 16, 2004
    More press than we, or any other team in MLS, has ever known. Our franchise is contemplating an Asian tour.... Galaxy jerseys being sold on any and every website.... As the SI article noted, he's pulling down $50 million. If this is managed properly, from a marketing standpoint, from a what-the-**********-ever standpoint, it could prove to be a small price. It still has the potential to flop, but it also has the potential to be seen as pure genius. Really, this is the only MLS club that could pull it off successfully. Let's keep our fingers crossed.