Official Crew-DC pregame thread [R]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by CrewToon, Oct 13, 2003.

1. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not disagreeing that its hard to find suitable replacements, but it isn't like it can't be done. Last offseason, DC and the Metros made a good number of changes. Not much to say other than they're playing better than we are.

My thought is that if you get a new coach in here, he's going to do his damnedest to get who he wants on this squad. I we could maybe get some good draft picks, some A-leaguers, and replace some SIs or get a couple TIs before Vergara steels them all... Basically, I think it can be done. It's not like a new coach would have to rely on the previous scouting done by the Crew. My understanding is that MLS shares scouting reports throughout the league, so there are already resources to be used.

2. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    True, but they traded players that were wanted. It's a big diffenece exchanging a player like Pope to exchanging our defensive juggernaut Mike Clark. I mean aside from Moreno who that was dealt between or to those two teams hasn't made a difference. Nobody wants our dead weight.

3. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again, you fail miserably to understand the point that I'm making. Must I always spell everything out? I figured people around here could use their reasoning abilities to draw the meaning of my words.

The point is that drastic changes can be done. Obviously we don't have a lot of chips to bargain with. If we had, we would probably not have been so upset at the departure of Dunseth. Additionally, who exactly out there in MLS would you trade for? And be REALISTIC, none of this "in my wet dreams, we'd acquire *fill in blank*". There is not one solid player that the Crew would be able to trade for. The only bait we had was Cunny, however, seeing as his contract is days from over, we have no leverage there. Who would trade for him w/o knowing that he'd stick around?

Now, other trade bait that we do have would be players such as McBride, Buddle, Martino, Paule, Hejduk, etc. Given the current situation at CCS, none of them would be packing their bags. However, and this is a big if, IF we get a new coach, and IF he wants to implement a different system, then it is very reasonable to think that he might trade some of these players who might not fit into the new coaches plans.

So, since this has gotten completely off-topic of the game at hand... let me try to salvage something here.

I think the game this weekend is going to be a wash. We're horrible at RFK, just plain aweful. If the boys have given up on the season (which I think they might have shortly after giving up on Greg), then I can fathom them having the heart to pull this one out. I'd love to be shown I'm wrong abotu that. I'd love to see them win. But realistically, I just can see it happening.

4. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Wooo...Now that I am done laughing...Where did I ever say drastic changes shouldn't be made, since that is the MAIN POINT

Everyone here agrees that major changes need to be made, even if they don't use BOLD FONT. So if needed, take a few breaths right now, hot box, or whatever floats your boat...

And yes, I agree that major changes need to be made, I just don't think we will get in return for our "chips" the likes of a Kovalenko or Pope. I personally wouldn't trade BMB or Hejduk for anyone in their position in this league. But thats just me. Who knows what a new coach can bring, but I pray to god he starts elsewhere than those two.

As for the game being a wash, I was at RFK when we won 3-0 last year. Great day, probably my second proudest as a Crew fan behind the Open Cup. I said earlier that I think Hudson can wear on DC in a match like this. All the pressure is on them. His hellfire and brimstone only can add to that pressure. Everyone has counted us out, even half our players. they could come out loose and get a shock win, or apathetic and play like the last few weeks. I think they will be loose and score early forcing DC outta a bunker game. Whether our defense minus Hejduk can hold them will be another matter. I can't wait for the game personally.

5. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where did I ever say that you said this? You were saying that we would not be able to trade our way thru drastic changes because nobody wants what we're willing to give up. I certainly didn't disagree with that, I saying that there are other ways to do it.

I agree that I wouldn't want to see our current best players been sent away, but that's certainly not unheard of when it comes to the Columbus Crew. I just think that if we get new coaches, we might see some unexpected moves. As to whether we get a star like Pope, well, that's yet to be seen. Are we going to get a current MLS standout? I highly doubt it.

6. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Once again, you fail miserably to understand the point that I'm making. Must I always spell everything out? I figured people around here could use their reasoning abilities to draw the meaning of my words.

The point is that drastic changes can be done.

I inferred it from that. Now look Kaiser I know you take I every time I disagree with you as a personal attack and drag out the argument, before eventually asking me in person why 3stripe and i gang up on you, but really...

If you actually read what I said you would have realized that I agreed with your point, but that I don't envision us being as succesful as DC or NY when it comes to bringing in top level talent this offseason. I don't need anything "spelled out" and I'm not "miserably misunderstanding" your point. I actually agree with you.

Really the hard guy persona doesn't suit ya, I know ya, remember.

7. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *yawn*

Well, you simply inferred wrong. But now I guess I didn't actually read your comments in the first place. Why are you arguing that I didn't understand you're agreeing when I said "I certainly didn't disagree" and "I agree"? So... are you actually reading what I'm saying?

See, your problem hang is ... actually, on second thought, forget it... it's not even worth my time anymore. You desperately want to win every discussion, so here, I'll give you a free-be... enjoy.

8. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That's the most enjoyable time I've had on these Crew boards in a long time.

It harkens me back to the days of ol' in college when I would listen to my two pothead friends debate when Armageddon was coming and other social and political happenings. Oh the fun times.

9. The Truth Commission

Mar 29, 2000
    Parts Unknown
    Doesn't hurt our massive club's chances that KC won tonight...they'll need to win at DC next week to finish second (they won't know the result of COL-DAL since they kick off an hour earlier). If we win tomorrow, we've got a chance to make it since we'll be taking on Chicago Fire Reserves next week.

10. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

It depends. San Jose lost tonight. I think (I haven't looked) that Chicago takes a 3 point lead in the "Supporters Sheild" into the final weekend. If San Jose wins next Saturday I think they are tied.

Does Chicago value the supporter's sheild? If they do and San Jose wins it could be interesting to see what they field. It may show just how seriously that teams and front offices take the supporters sheild. If it's valued we definately won't see the reserves.

Then again, it may not matter at all.

11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Well nevermind, on the Chicago boards they are already talking about winning the SS so they must have a tiebreaker. Damn.

12. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I thought it would be when Arnold won Cali, if the Cubs and the Red Sox also made the World Series. Luckily they both choked, cause I have much repenting to do.

13. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    It's a nice crisp day here in D.C.. The temperature now is 60 degrees and sunny. Good football weather. Great tailgate weather :) . Good luck today.

14. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Well this is damn interesting.

In the Washington Post today there is a story that Hudson may step down at the end of the season due to health issues. On top of that, their are some on the DC boards that are already talking about myshap's boy Bob Lilley as a replacement.

I mean look at the timing, DC is on the brink of the first playoffs after three years out, this is a complete win it for the gipper type scenario. I would love nothing more than too see that geordie *#*#*#*# go out on a losing streak starting today.

15. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I don't usually invite the opposition to our PBP chats - though nothing precludes them from joining - but I'm kind of curious to know what the Crew fans are thinking during this game. So stop by if you're interested ...

The room is BigSoccerDCU and there are instruction for using AIM on the DC United board's FAQ.