Official Charlie Davies News/Updates Thread 3.0

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Illusionbox, Aug 23, 2007.

1. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree -- I think it is unrealistic to expect him to make all the adjustments in one half of one season. He's obviously progressing, which is what you want. The goals will come.

Don't get me wrong, that would be great. But let's not underestimate how hard it is to make the transition from college soccer to the professional game.

I hope Charlie has found the forks hidden in his couch.

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Usually it's the other way 'round. (but who says I'm bitter)

3. Corn

Corn Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Charlie played todays match with the reserv team against Gelfe. Match ended 1-1 and Charlie did not score.

Comments about his performance from ppl who saw the match is that he created a lot of chances but was a bit selfish some times. He wanted to do everything on his own.
    But overall he did another fine performance.

4. Lorelaei

Lorelaei New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Stockholm
    Yeah, and it seems like he played to the left in the midfield (from what the coach said to the official website) which is quite interesting.

5. braun

braun Red Card

Feb 22, 2001
    metro Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is starting to sound like Jeff Cuningham, another hog (is that gries pa Svensk?).

6. Lorelaei

Lorelaei New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Stockholm
    Davies scored two goals in the reserve game this evening. Reports say that he played in the midfield. Will keep you posted if I hear anything else about his performance.

7. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so that's three recent reserve goals. That's very promising. Thanks, as always, for the updates.

Lets hope he can continue to buildin confidence and turn it in to goals for the first team!

We believe!

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Wing (flank) midfielder or an attacking midfielder/supporting striker?

9. Lorelaei

Lorelaei New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Stockholm
    It seems like he played wing. We had two forwards here on trial, which might be the reason why he was moved to midfield.

10. Corn

Corn Member

Aug 17, 2006
  11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
  12. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  13. Lorelaei

Lorelaei New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Stockholm
    Davies is on the bench right now. Currently 0-0. Started half an hour ago.

14. Lorelaei

Lorelaei New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Stockholm
    We're down 1-0. Davies in for Laitinen, according to the radio he plays on the left wing. Half an hour to score those goals.

Edit: Game ends 1-0 to Trelleborg. I was not able to watch it, but reports say that Hammarby played pretty bad. From what I heard from the radio, Davies had a good cross, got us some free kicks and used his speed really well.

15. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's an interesting move.

I guess if he can't score, just move him to a position where scoring is not his primary responsibility. I hope it works out well for him. He definitely has the skills to play on the wings, with his speed and good footwork. It might just be a great move.

16. Lorelaei

Lorelaei New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Stockholm
    It seems like he's playing there again in the reserve game right now. Not sure, but it was mentioned in a forum, and it wouldn't surprise me.

17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The US needs scoring forwards and, for Charlie's sake, a scoring forward has a higher value than a fast wing.

With this shift, I am afraid that Hammarby will continue to develop his wing skills rather than striker skills. This will leave him uncertain of his soccer identity and undermine his long-term success.

Hopefully, one won't have another Donovan on his hands.

18. Lorelaei

Lorelaei New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Stockholm
    To be honest, I think it will depend on how our forward situation looks like in the future (and of course, if he starts producing some good finishes). For example, in both the reserve games we've had forwards on trial and the coach probably wanted to play Davies anyway, so he got the wing. And the fact that he got to play there against Trelleborg this Sunday may suggest that he did it well the first time. But as I said, I'm not sure that it's permanent.

19. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Henry start out on the wing before moving to center forward? There's no reason Davies can't get some action out wide while he learns the game at this level before eventually moving into the middle.

20. Corn

Corn Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Charlie played left wing from start in todays reserve match and according to those who saw the game, he was the man of the match although no goals.

We had two trials on top today.

1-1 was final result.

21. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I would hate to have another player become the US's all time leading scorer and assister (word?) before turning 25. That would suck.

Fix him quick!

22. Sweetness

Sweetness Member

Aug 27, 2007
    haha, exactly what i was thinking... what an odd statement.

23. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The "all-time" leading scorer has 3 run-of-play goals in this recently finished MLS season.

So, you are correct.

That does suck.

24. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Charlie Davis turns into another Landon Donovan, I will be very happy. Unfortunately, the signs this year are not good. Hopefully things will improve.

25. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He went from a NCAA D-1 player to a 1st Division player of a European professional league in a very short time. A huge leap. So big in fact we can't even accurately comprehend. Charlie's exceeded my expectations in all honesty. I thought he get some minutes here and there toward the middle-to-late season but I never would of guessed he would of started and gained significant minutes throughout the whole season. That's impressive. Charlie is raw and this season was a season for him to adjust both personally and from a footballing perspective. I think there's nowhere to go but up. Yeah, he's struggled at times and yeah, he's been up and down but it's a good sign. Based on this season I will have higher expectations for his second season. If next season is a carbon copy of this season, he might not be as good as we think.