Official Building Draft Choice Thread, Part III

Discussion in 'Art & Architecture' started by tog, Apr 2, 2006.

1. tog

tog Member

Oct 25, 2000
    Seattle
    Have a ball.

2. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    For easy reference, the Draft Order:

1. Bluto11
    2. Claymore
    3. Iceblink
    4. Toon²
    5. Danks81
    6. Caesar
    7. babytiger2001
    8. DoctorJones24
    9. MtP07
    10. Excape Goat
    11. Crew14
    12. yellowbismark
    13. dmar
    14. Wingtips1
    15. MikeLastort2
    16. bopper78
    17. YankHibee
    18. Metroweenie
    19. Folha
    20. Chaski
    21. Fleck
    22. jmarquez1976
    23. bluedaddy19/Sarabella

Wingtips 1 is up.

3. Fleck

Fleck New Member

May 14, 2004
    Sacramento
    What round are we on?

4. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two things...

1. In this week's Time Out Chicago magazine, there are articles relating to two picks from this draft. A) There's an article about the Santiago architect that does the twisting buildings. B) There's a new children's book out about some kind of mystery in the Robie House.

2. Ya know... the more I see from Milwaukee... the more respect I have for it.

That museum is absolutely gorgeous. How's the artwork?

Peter Wilt will get them a new MLS team... and they have a better industrial music scene than Chicago from everything I've seen... then again... Chicago's is god-awful, so that's not saying that much... I mean it seems like a good one.

5. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe this is the 7th round.

6. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You know, I didn't see that much when we there. The main reason we went in was to see the building, and to see the architecture exhibit that was going on--which we enjoyed. From what I remember, which is a little hazy, it is mostly a "modern" art museum. Which is not really my thing. But the building alone is totally worth the visit.

And I know i'll get some heat from my fellow Minnesotans for saying this, but I love Milwaukee. It's a great city. Everything in Wisconsin west of Madison, however, sucks balls.

7. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    This is the 7th round.

On The Clock:
    MikeLastort2 (1hr 25mins remaining)

Overdue Choices Pending:
    babytiger2001 (7th pick)
    Crew14 (7th pick)
    Wingtips1 (7th pick)

EDIT: Also, did we end up getting a decision about the Christ the Redeemer statue? If it's going to be disallowed, Fleck has a replacement pick up his sleeve from Round Five.

8. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    I think the consensus was that none of us considered it a true building, but as it is not the sort of controversial pick that takes anything away from anyone else, he's free to make that selection. Our judgments will, of course, reflect our appraisal of it as a non-building, but he very well might not really care what we judges think.

9. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    My seventh round pick is: Buckingham Palace, London, England

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    On The Clock:
    bopper78 (4hrs 25mins remaining)

Overdue Choices Pending:
    babytiger2001 (7th pick)
    Crew14 (7th pick)
    MikeLastort2 (7th pick)

11. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    On The Clock:
    YankHibee (5hrs 15mins remaining)

Overdue Choices Pending:
    babytiger2001 (7th pick)
    Crew14 (7th pick)
    MikeLastort2 (7th pick)
    bopper78 (7th pick)

12. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I had no idea I was "on the clock" when I was sleeping.

:rolleyes:

13. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Guys, we need to update the Big Board thread. I've done the reamining picks of the 6th sound, but I can't do more right now.

14. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I wasn't a big fan of reducing the pick times to 6hrs, precisely for that reason. I was overdue with my last pick too... I think since we went from 8 to 6 we've all been running behind.

15. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I'll do it.

16. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Venice Italy, Ponte di Rialto (Rialto Bridge)

By Antonio da Ponte - commissioned in 1588, completed in 1592.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the most famous bridges in the world, and the first bridge in Venice to actually cross the Grand Canal.

The marble bridge replaced an earlier wooden structure which was built sometime in the 13th century.

17. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was not aware that BT2001 had not made his selection for this round before handing me his proxies for the upcoming couple of weeks. I'll take them when I get to school. I'm already late.

18. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Babytiger2001 is apparently overdue for his 7th round pick. His first is definitely invalid, so I'm going with the next one he proxied to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco, CA USA!

From Wikipedia:

The Palace of Fine Arts in the Marina District of San Francisco, California is a building originally constructed for the 1915 Panama-Pacific Exposition. It was designed by Bernard Maybeck, who took his inspiration from Roman and Greek architecture. It was the only building from the Exposition not to be demolished, and in the 1960s it was entirely rebuilt to ensure its longevity. The exhibition hall, which originally housed Impressionist paintings during the Exposition, is now home to the Exploratorium, a state of the art interactive science museum.

A single dome remains from the eight identical structures that were originally constructed. Towering collonaded walkways linked the buildings on the site, but only a few remain intact.

19. Fleck

Fleck New Member

May 14, 2004
    Sacramento
    If you want me to change the pick ill change the pick, i dont really care theres tons of stuff I want to draft still

20. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
  21. Crew14

Crew14 Member

Apr 11, 2000
    Brunswick
    For my seventh pick:

Maracanã
    One of the buildings I absolutely needed on my list. It may not be as visually stimulating as modern stadiums, but it is still one of the true temples of the game.

Built for the 1950 WC, Maracanã is probably most famous for the final that year between Brazil and Uruguay. In a game that drew over 200,000, the hosts were shocked after being a goal up and only needing a draw to raise the Jules Rimet. The result left the nation in a state of tragedy, as if a major celebrity had passed. To this day Maracanã remains one of the largest stadiums in the world, though through renovations the number of seats is now down to 100,000. Other events the stadium has seen include Pelé's 1000th goal, numerous Rio state championships, and infamous Fla-Flu matchups. Using a sentiment from Eduardo Galeano, other stadiums may be lined with precious metals, be stunning to look at, and have the quickest queues, but they don't have the memories that the Maracanã does.

(info from Wiki)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm staring at that through my office window.
    It's getting rained at the moment.

23. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Camino de Guanajuato.

La Parroquia - San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato Mexcio.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's the first thing you notice about Allende is this awesome building. May not be worldwide the way other buildings in this thread are, but to me it's special. San Miguel in general is too awesome.
    Legend has it that the architect of the facade (added in 1888) of the church had never seen a gothic church and had to take his ideas from picture postcards of the gothic cathedrals of Europe. Apparently not much of a draftsman, he drew pictures of his concept in the dirt in front of the church to show his workmen what he envisioned. In the tombs beneath the main altar of the church are the remains of former bishops of the church and many dignitaries who once lived in San Miguel, including a former President of the Republic of Mexico. The tombs are open to the public just one day of the year, November 2, Día de los Muertos.

24. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want your office. If you're looking at that, you proabably have a view across the GG.

25. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not quite. I'm looking northeast at the dome and across the bay toward Angel Island, if that means anything to you. The Golden Gate Bridge is northwest of my window and blocked by the rest of my building.