Official BigSoccer World Player of the Year

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Spartak, Oct 25, 2003.

1. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best Player? What's wrong with Maldini?

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. But I'm pretty sure that it was Maldini at fault for that goal. (I'm nitpicking a bit, but his biggest claim to fame at the moment is winning that really big trophy :)) Fabio hasn't been all that great at Inter, but he's not playing next to Nesta. For Italy, he's been very good. And Gallas? Come on - absolutely great player.

Still, all this is pretty irrelevant talk - its gotta be Pavel in a landslide.

2. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    Exactly, it was a complete disgrace that Ballack didn't win any of the awards last year. And if Pavel Nedved doesn’t win all of them this year it will be a joke.
    BTW the FIFA awards have the biggest comedy factor. A couple of years ago the late Lobanovski voted for Carlos Alberto in 2. , our former NT coach Blazevic always voted only for Croatian players, and the Costa Rican coach put Hernan Medford in 3.

3. RobertoCarlos2004

RobertoCarlos2004 New Member

Oct 8, 2003
    U.S.
    Van Nistelrooy all the way. i think he contributes so much to his team but then again all the candidates really do. wheres the nomination for roberto carlos lol jk.

4. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    he sat on man utd's bench for what? two games?? he certainly does not deserve the award, but i am not going to say he was not consistant.

i'll agree with you and go with ballack.

5. Harry Ottis Guff

Harry Ottis Guff BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 2, 2003
    Im gonna slap you!
    Isnt it a little early on in the season to be dishing out such pretsigous Big Soccer awards? Perhaps wait until the end of the season or the European Championships, or im sure there will be a lot of dissapointed football players out there wanting to know why you didnt give them their chance to shine!

6. skyboy

skyboy New Member

Jul 16, 2003
    New York City
    i am going for nedved, close second with zidane

has anyone seen nedved's goal this weekend?
    WoW...what a cracker!
    the guy seems to be getting better yet every year, if it is even possible...

7. BadReligion

BadReligion New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Seriously man, that isn't cool. Take your racial slurs to World Rivalries.

I'm voting for Nedved as well. He's the best player on earth.

8. MadridForever

MadridForever Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    have you seen Zidane's goal this weekend? it was very similar to the extraordinary goal that he scored in the Champions League 2002 final. Very few players in the world can make that goals.

9. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    For those people saying that Maldini is past it, you are living in a dream world.

Last season Maldini got more votes for european team of the month (as decided by World Soccer, Kicker etc) than any other player. He was in 6 times, I think the next highest was 4. Milan were superb last season and Maldini, along with Nesta, was the key reason behind their success. This season Milan have won 6 from 7 in the league.

Nedved, Nesta, Henry, MacKaay, Van Nistelrooy have all been superb in the last year, but Maldini has been their equal. Perhaps it is sentimentality, but Paolo has been the best defender I have ever seen, and picking up a 4th CL 15 years after your first is an achievement no won else can boast. Maldini deserves the reward for being not just the best player this year but the best defender for the last 15 years.

10. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Maldini is not past it. He is not, however, on the same level as some of the players you've mentioned. Age takes a toll, I'm afraid.
    Oh, and as for those monthly awards? Those mean as much as the rankings.
    Finally, a player's greatness years ago should have no bearing on a player of the year vote. Nedved outclassed Maldini - that Maldini used to be sublime is irrelevant.

The funny thing is that I'm arguing with a moron on another thread about Maldini. This person (find him and pester him if you want) said that in the last 5-7 years no one has even challenged Roberto Carlos for the "best left back in the world title". If you want a debate about his all-time merits - that's your man.

11. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    He has been superb in the last year, and while I would proably say Nedved has been the player of the year I would love to see Maldini win it. I agree that past performances should count for nothing, but it is difficult to put them aside. In 1995 someone voted for Marco Van Basten so there must be some room for sentimentality.

BTW where is this argument of Maldini v. Roberto Carlos, I'd love to read that one.

12. MadridForever

MadridForever Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Madrid, Spain

Really really Funny. Lets go to see the Roberto Carlos numbers in the last years:

Fifa world player award - most important player award
    -----------------------
    2001- FWP 15 position - sorry, no maldini
    2002- FWP 4 position - Maldini - 22 position Impressive!!!

http://images.fifa.com/events/playergala/2001/results/wp2001pw.pdf
    http://images.fifa.com/events/playergala/2002/results/wp2002pw.pdf

UEFA Champion league awards
    ---------------------------
    UEFA Champions league best defender 2002.
    http://www.uefa.com/competitions/SuperCup/news/Kind=1/newsId=88168.html

UEFA Champions league best defender 2003. Sorry, maldini lost.
    http://www.uefa.com/competitions/SuperCup/news/Kind=32/newsId=89710.html

Golden ball awards - second most important player award
    ------------------
    1997 - Golden Ball - 5 position
    2002 - Golden ball - 2 position

Sorry, no Maldini between 1997-2002

http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/europa-poy.html

World cup All start team - Very very important award
    --------------------------
    FIFA World Cup 1998 All-Star Team. Sorry, no maldini
    FIFA WORLD CUP 2002 All star team. Sorry, no maldini

http://www.englandfootballonline.com/TeamHons/HonsAll-StarTrnWC1998.html
    http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200206/28/eng20020628_98745.shtml

Onze mondial awards - important magazine - all start teams since 1976
    -------------------
    All star team 1997. Sorry, no maldini
    All star team 1998. Sorry, no maldini
    All star team 1999. Sorry, no maldini
    All star team 2000. Sorry, no maldini
    All star team 2001. Sorry, no maldini
    All star team 2002. Sorry, no maldini

http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/onze-awards.html

Roberto Carlos throphies since 1997.-

1997 -La Liga (Real Madrid),Copa América (Brazil)

1998 - Champion league (Real Madrid), Wold cup finalist (Brazil)
    intercontinental cup (Real Madrid)

2000 - Champions league (Real Madrid)

2001 - La liga (Real Madrid)

2002 - Champions league (Real Madrid),UEFA Supercup (Real Madrid)
    World cup champion (Brazil)
    intercontinental cup (Real Madrid)

2003 - La Liga (Real Madrid)

Maldini throphies since 1997.-

1999- Italian League (Milan)

2003 - Champions league(Milan), Italian cup (Milan), European supercup (Milan)

Whow!!!!, incredible!!!!!

IT'S REALLY FUNNY TO SEE HOW ROBERTO CARLOS HAS BEEN FAR BETTER THAN MALDINI IN THE LAST YEARS.

I THINK THAT TO SEE A MORON, YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH YOURSELF IN A MIRROR.

13. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    You should take your own advice. Unless you plan on arguing that in 1996 Roberto Carlos was so good at left back that there was no competition, your "arguments" are useless. Btw, nice collection. I doubt Nesta has won too many of those, despite the consensus that he is the best defender in the world.
    Hey, why don't you go claim that the US is better than England because they were once higher in the FIFA rankings. THE REALLY IMPORTANT RANKINGS. Oh sorry, I thought we were capitalizing all idiotic posts.

If you're going to defend a person who claims that in 1996 Roberto Carlos was so good that no one else compared, you don't even need to have your head examined. You most likely don't have one.

Oh, and I especially LOVE the "team" comparisons. Hey, Roque Jr. has won the world cup AND the CL in the last 2 years. That must mean he's better than Nesta. Ooooh, convincing.
    And finally, several years ago the Russia coach voted for someone in the second position. Who was that? Carlos Alberto. So yeah, those awards are really prestigious.
    (You wouldn't happen to be a Madrid fan? Oh you are................not biased at all though :rolleyes: )

14. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    The problem with a comparison of Maldini and Carlos is that they are completely different types of player.

Maldini is a great (perhaps the greatest) defender. Carlos is very good going forward, but usually looks vulnerable at the back. Both are perfectly suited to both their clubs and countries. However, Carlos is inevitably going to win more individual awards, he is a much more spectacular player. That is what these awards look for. Maldini has been consistently excellent for the last 15 years, and I put him as by a way the better player. Over the last 5-7 years Carlos has been excellent but he has not been unchallenged, Maldini has always been his equal in his own unshowy way.

15. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Re: Re: Best Player? What's wrong with Maldini?

I think Beckham has made a great transition to Madrid, but in all reality he only scored one goal against Madrid, and that was from a free kick (which mesmerized Casillas, who could have blocked it fairly easily). The other goal was gonna go in anyways, Beckham just kinda slid in and touched it while it was going over the line. If Nedved can lead Czech Rep to a good Euro 2004 showing, I think he would be the frontrunner for the award.

16. MadridForever

MadridForever Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Madrid, Spain

You are really funny. i doubt that you have more intelligence than a hamster, but i must admit that you are very funny.

Unless you plan on arguing that in 1996 Roberto Carlos was so good at left back that there was no competition, your "arguments" are useless.

1996!!!! You wrote I'm arguing with a moron on another thread about Maldini. This person (find him and pester him if you want) said that in the last 5-7 years no one has even challenged Roberto Carlos for the "best left back in the world title You must know that 1997 is in the range of 5 -7 years ago -yeah, you can use your fingers -. I could have written since 1998 and my arguments would still be valid. if you want to speak about the last 7 years you must have written "in the last 7 years" - It isn't so dificult. Roberto Carlos has been the best left back in the world in the last 5-7 years without discussion.

Hey, why don't you go claim that the US is better than England because they were once higher in the FIFA rankings. THE REALLY IMPORTANT RANKINGS. Oh sorry, I thought we were capitalizing all idiotic posts.

I'm going to change my first appreciation about you. Now, i'm sure that a hamster have more intelligence than you. First, I haven't written about FIFA National team ranking, please read again my last post more concentrated. Second, i'm going to write about the awards of which I really wrote:

FIFA WORL PLAYER - Inaugurated in 1991. The winner is chosen by vote of FIFA national team coaches. Ok, they don't know nothing about soccer. Very funny.

UEFA Champion league awards - Members of UEFA's illustrious technical team - which includes top coaches like Marcello Lippi, Sir Alex Ferguson, Gérard Houllier, Giovanni Trapattoni and Rinus Michels and uefa.com users choose the winners. Ok, you know more about soccer than Marcelo Lippi, Alex Ferguson, Gerard Hullier and, of course, uefa.com users. I can't stop laughing,

Golden ball award - It was created in 1956 and it is the oldest and most prestigious player award until Fifa world player award was created. Many people still think that it is the most important player award. All players dreams with win sometime this award. The winner is choose by the votes of important soccer journalist around the world. Ah, you know most about soccer than the soccer journalist around the world. This guy is too much.

World cup All start team - First, i have to tell you that the World Cup is the most important soccer championship, maybe you didn't know it. The winner is choose by the Fifa. Be in the All star team of a World Cup is to have a place in the soccer books.

Onze mondial awards - i was created in 1976, since that year the readers of this prestigious French magazine choose the all start team of the year.

If you're going to defend a person who claims that in 1996 Roberto Carlos was so good that no one else compared, you don't even need to have your head examined. You most likely don't have one.

Yes, i'm going to defend this "moron" - your description of that person -, and Alex Ferguson, Marcelo Lippi, Trappatoni, Gerard Hullier, the Fifa national teams manager, the uefa.com users, the soccer journalist around the world, the onze mondial readers, .... that with their votes has choose Roberto Carlos in the last years.

Oh, and I especially LOVE the "team" comparisons. Hey, Roque Jr. has won the world cup AND the CL in the last 2 years. That must mean he's better than Nesta. Ooooh, convincing.

You must know that the soccer is a sport in which play two teams. Each team have 11 players. Each player with his play contribute to make a better team. Roberto Carlos has contributed with his play and his 50 goals so that Real Madrid had won more throphies than anyone in the last years. And Maldini has contributed so that a big and a great team like Milan have only won 1 Campions league and 1 italian league in the last 5-7 years. It is a plus to add to the individual awards.

17. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    To use a great SNL line, are you British or retarded? I know you're not British.
    When someone says 5-7 years, wouldn't the logical extension of that be 7? Hello?

FIFA WORL PLAYER - Inaugurated in 1991. The winner is chosen by vote of FIFA national team coaches. Ok, they don't know nothing about soccer. Very funny.

Well, I don't know how much Romantsev (I believe that was the coach) knows about soccer, but considering he voted for Carlos Alberto several years ago, what does that tell you?

Oh, OK. I'm glad to see you realize that those who win the world cup have a much better chance of winning. If Italy gets knocked out early, it can't well have players nominated for that award, can it?

Oh, I see, they have to be big teams. OK. So while at Barcelona, Figo was clearly crap. Big team, didn't win too much. Once he moved to Real he got SOOOO much better. No no, that makes sense. Or Nedved - he has only won 2 Scudettos and no CL cups with Lazio or Juve, so clearly Guti is better, because he has. I really like your arguments.

18. MadridForever

MadridForever Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    You are a joke. Please read again what i wrote. It's not so dificult to understand.And for you information Figo won the UEFA Cup Winners Cup, the Spanish Cup and the Spanish Super Cup in the 1996-97 season and 2 consecutive league titles in 1997-98 and 1998-99, for the first time in 39 years in Barcelona.

PLEASE STOP TO REPLY BECAUSE YOU CAN'T BE MORE PATETIC. Your first replay was patetic, but this one is even worse.

19. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Whatever. You're clearly too far to reach, since you go by the official "awards". As official as the FIFA rankings. Anyone who tries to gauge a player's worth based on a poll would do better to run statistical regressions.

Just please, stop capitalizing all your posts. I get it, you're yelling. And I'm comfortable with being "patetic". Is that like pate? Or peripatetic? Or maybe its both. Perhaps I'm a peripatetic who likes pate? Oh the mysteries of the English language.

"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
    -Ralph Wiggum

20. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    Nedved for his work for club and country.

He has also been very consistent over the years and has been overlooked in the past.

21. MadridForever

MadridForever Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Madrid, Spain

Sorry, I think that everybody knows what i was trying to say. But like your intelligence is very limited - 1 or 2 neurons -, i'll give you a clue that the rest of the people has not needed: You must put the letter h in some place of the word. A cookie is waiting for you ....

Note: I recommend you that follow the advice of my previous post.