Official Big Soccer Sopranos Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by supersport, Sep 6, 2002.

1. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    There was also the Tony line, "Revenge is a dish served like coldcuts." I think this actually should have been Paulie line.

Now the big question is, when is Ade gonna let Christopher in on her secert, and what's he gonna do?

2. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The whole VESPA Johnny SacK thing is getting ready to blow. Some bad blood brewin'.....

3. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Agreed. Either Tony will go to Little Carmine or vice versa and they will wipe out most of Johnny's crew. It will be bloody, but Tony will come out with a lot more power and resources.

4. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    It'll just be one extra week for you then. Deadwood ends the week after the Sopranos does.

5. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Six Feet Under comes on next month.

6. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    That's interesting to me, because I think they've sort of dumbed down Tony over the seasons. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall Tony being smarter than that, what with his year or two of community college or whatever. They used to focus on his passion about history and it seemed he had a much more subtle, educated intelligence.

But stuff like "cold cuts" comes up much more these days. Plus that note he wrote to Dr. Melfi sounded like an 8th grader. It may have to do with the general nastiness and dark path he's going down. Dunno.

7. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco

You have to figure any mobster who has read, "The Prince", and "The Art of War", wouldn't get that line wrong. The writers might be slipping a bit in thier treatment of Tony. The letter I can accept, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy good at putting his feelings down on paper.

Next big Question, Does Adrianna being on the Friends spin off mean anything?

8. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yeah, She'll be sleeping with the fishes :D

9. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig

All I know is, she really needs to put on some more lotion.
    I think she missed a spot.

10. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

that's not the only thing getting ready to break open

all i can say now that i'm caught up again is wow - the 9th of the season was one of the greatest episodes in all of television history - that sense of impending doom is all over this season - i dont know where to begin so i'm just going to let 'er rip in no particular order

-as far as the issues over tony's intelligence, the letter seems another clear sign that he does not have the ability to express himself in a confident manner

-nevertheless, gandolfini is having a powerhouse season - his ability to snap one minute and regress into shame the next always comes off as sincere - of course, like most of the cast, he is brilliant at conveying the character's thoughts without dialogue

-the earlier arc where he and adriana were getting all chummy was terrific at displaying the ongoing internal battle between tony's deep desire to love his family and his inability to keep himself out of destructive situations

-personally... i think he's getting ready to rid himself of ol' tony uncle al - tony B's presence is clearly making him deal with too many issues

-tony and carmela clearly have strong feelings for each other, but those two only communicate through reactions and slights (perceived or real) - i think if they went through a genuine process together (yeah, right!) they could reunite organically, but it will probably happen because carmela sees no better option

-when carmela was having dinner with her parents a couple eps back, i could see exactly how meadow got her bitchy side... she sounded just like meadow does when squaring off with the 'rents - that sh1t was funny

-speaking of adriana, she is looking so fine - a while back, i really thought she was ready to tell the fed she was out, then i thought she may try to flip chris with her... hard to say because she hasn't been a focus for a few eps

-i love the whole storyline surrounding meadow and finn - i worry about that damn kid - i swear he's gonna get killed or get entwined in the "family" side of life... and get killed or break meadow's heart... and get killed or say the wrong thing... and get killed - something! all i know is the guy is very likable, but likability don't get ya far in this circle

- and dear sweet lord, catching vito blowing a security guard is the exact opposite on the luck scale from winning a 100 million bones in the lottery on the first ticket you ever bought... that just cannot turn out well for the kid - of course vito and finn both realize that the kid is untouchable so long as he's meadow's man

-... not that such a deterrent has ever stopped a sopranos charcter from freaking out in a moment of weakness

- meadow (also looking as delicious as ever) remains back and forth on her family... sometimes she wishes she could cut ties and never look back - at this point, she seems completely ready to go without the family money... the place they share agitates finn much more than it does her - so she has the biggest leash off, making a move far far away easy should something horrific go down around her (did i mention that finn is in grave danger?) - however, meadow loves her brood and she remains somewhat naive about them (i love how she insisted that the guy finn saw put a bottle into someone's eye was "really sweet")

more later... gotta run to the coffeehouse :D

11. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    I think it's really telling that Meadow (who has a history of disparaging her father for making his living the way he does, and her mother for reaping the rewards of a criminal life) was completely comfortable "pulling strings" to get her boyfriend a job on one of her father's construction projects. The same thing when Finn wanted to quit. She told him that he can't because it would be rude to quit a job that was obtained through a favor. She also gave Finn a hard time when she thought that he didn't want to mingle with "common folk". I think this newfound loyalty to her family conflicting with her previous academic disdain for her background is the most interesting aspect of her character so far.

12. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    You mean as opposed to her neurotic, self-consumed, whinosaurus-ness?

Finn: "I think an obese mobster is going to kill me."
    Meadow: "But you got a SUITCASE!!! WAAAAHHH!"

"Active listening" at it's best.

But I concur with the point.
    Mob-methodology/Mob-Loyalty: It's the deep-rooted switch that gets flipped whenever the Soprano women get in a jam. Janice and Richie; Carmela and the school prinicipal (AJ's grades, and then the break-up coda: "you better watch yourself") and a few seasons back, Carmela and the neighbor's sister ("I've brought you a pie ... and I'm asking you to write my daughter a letter of recommendation"); Meadow and Finn.

They can't escape because:
    a) it's who they are; and b) they don't want to escape.

13. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    One of my favorite things about Tony's character is when he gets mad and you can hear him breathing through his nose. That just rocks.

14. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    Oy vey.

I was SO not in the mood for a Tony meets Fellini episode tonite.

15. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's ON, baby!!!
    Great episode. I'm so psyched now for the last 2 episodes.

16. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    The queen mother of all dream sequences, and only more bloodshed to follow.

17. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I found it to be very disappointing. The beginning and end were nice -- finally some real narrative movement -- but the dream was sophomoric. Really, this has been a scattershot season.

18. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone hear Carmela ask Tony who the mole is when he was talking to her on the phone?

19. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    I thought the dream sequence was good, if a bit long. Loved how Tony was encountering all the people who have died in the past six years and that he keeps bugging Annette Benning.

As for the real world, holy crap did Tony B. screw up! It really is a shame because his character looked like he wanted to turn it around and go straight but ends up back in the life and, after last night, looks like he will be leaving both this life and THE life.

As for Tony's girlfriend, wow, that was pretty upsetting to see.

20. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    As soon as the dream started, I knew that we were in for a prolonged bizzaro sequence. I thought it was pretty annoying. Otherwise, I think this has been a great season of the show.

Only two more to go.

21. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Oh, and I guess Valentina never learned to stop, drop, and roll.

22. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So has the Sopranos officially 'jumped the shark? Look at the bright side, at least we're spared into having to sit through one of those wanky series finales ala Friends and Frasier. Hopefully it will end in a blaze of glory.

23. dubalis

dubalis New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Bronx, NY
    Just found out Big Soccer had a Sopranos thread. I know I'm new to this thread but I hope you don't mind me sticking in my 2 cents on yesterday's episode.

Thought the dream sequence was interesting, however it was a huge mistake to allow the dream sequence to take the place of Tony B's attempted hit on Phil. Tony B's tragic tale is the strongest storyline of the season and Steve Buscemi has managed to own every scene he appears in. Tony B's hit on Phil would be the crescendo of this trajic storyline and the writers made a huge error in omitting it.

On a similiar note, after doing the drem sequence how much farther can the show really delve into Tony Soprano's psyche? His sessions with Dr. Melfi are excrutiatingly boring to the viewer. The show has been basically hijacked by the exploration of Tony's psyche.

That said, it would seem logical that John wacks Tony Soprano at the end of this season. It would allow for an amazing final season next year; Christopher, Paulie, Tony B (if he lasts), and the rest of the Jersey crew fighting for power while at the same time seeking revenge on John and his crew. At the same time you would have the Soprano family seeking to cope without the centerpiece (and breadwinner) of the family. I think that Tony getting wacked would be the logical conclusion to the series, and by doing it this season instead of in the final season we also get to see how Tony's death effects the rest of the characters in the show.

24. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
  25. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a waste of an hour. Now only two more to go.