Official 2023 Rumors / Signings / Trades thread.

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ragbone, Oct 21, 2022.

1. SuperNerdToTheRescue

Dec 28, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

There's a purchase obligation if certain benchmarks are met, and it sounds like Araujo's Galaxy tenure is over regardless of whether that purchase clause is triggered.

2. SuperNerdToTheRescue

Dec 28, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Oh wow, it's an immediate permanent transfer now, not a loan. I wonder if we told them we'd accept a smaller fee if we got the money up front.

hav77 repped this.
  3. SuperNerdToTheRescue

Dec 28, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    1620550954201518081 is not a valid tweet id

So Barcelona is paying ~$2 million now for 50% of Araujo's rights, and then at the end of the year they'll have to decide whether they want to cancel the agreement or pay another ~$2 million to get 90% of Araujo's rights, with the Galaxy retaining 10% of his future fee.

If Barça cancel the agreement at the end of the year, would Araujo come back to the Galaxy or would he just be a free agent then?

4. SuperNerdToTheRescue

Dec 28, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Uh oh, the Araujo documents may have been signed and submitted after the deadline already passed. Hope it wasn't the Galaxy FO's fault.

5. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    OMG, what a mess if true.

6. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    #731 Benny Dargle, Jan 31, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    MLS is the one that has to sign off on the deal on the US end since it is technically Araujo's "team" because it is the employer, with Barca submitting it because they are the buying club, but the Galaxy could have taken too long negotiating the deal.

SuperNerdToTheRescue repped this.
  7. SuperNerdToTheRescue

Dec 28, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

FIFA will hear Barcelona's appeal regarding the Araujo signing tomorrow. The documents were submitted less than a minute after the deadline.

Benny Dargle repped this.
  8. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barca's case will be : "you honor, we're dealing with MLS...." and it will be approved.

Berks, cleschke, Beakmon FC and 3 others repped this.
  9. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Didn't someone else recently miss a deadline by a minute and the the contract was voided?

10. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, we are so inept...

JPAR, El Futbolisimo, skydog and 5 others repped this.
  11. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    This araujo deal really sums up our front office. We can't even screw ourselves over correctly.

cleschke, hav77, skydog and 3 others repped this.
  12. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I’m sure Araujo will have a great attitude (read :mad:) this season if his dream move to Barcelona is fu’d because of our idiot FO. And I can't say I would blame him.

cleschke, TrickHog, galvanator and 2 others repped this.
  13. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
  14. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #739 skydog, Feb 1, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    I wouldn't expect us to have a starting quality 3rd forward but I would us to have a couple of 2nd tier forwards for depth. For example a 30-something sub level forward - think Kirovski’s later year's. Or a journeyman forward - think Gordan.

Our crosstown rivals have seven forwards on their roster and while I don't know all of these guys I bet not a single one falls in the categories of “never played a minute of 1st division soccer” or “our only serviceable left back.” The fact our FO and coach are willing to start the season with those two as our “depth” is embarrassing.
    Fake chivas forward corp:
    C. Vela
    10 Forward Senior
    Designated Player
    C. Torres
    21 Forward Supplemental Slots 25-28
    Homegrown
    K. Opoku
    22 Forward Supplemental Slots 21-24
    International
    C. Arango
    9 Forward Senior
    International
    N. Ordaz
    27 Forward Supplemental Slots 25-28
    Homegrown
    D. Bouanga
    99 Forward Senior
    Designated Player
    S. Biuk
    Forward

By comparison ours forward depth looks like it is made from masking tape and baling wire.

El Futbolisimo and JPAR repped this.
  15. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The only ways this doesn't turn into a complete disaster is if it was either Barca's or MLS' fault for the delay, or if FIFA OKs everything.

TrickHog and skydog repped this.
  16. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    You can easily blame Barca in the sense that they made the approach very late and tried to low ball us, hoping we would roll over given the short timeframe in order to help a young player. The fact that we didn’t and negotiated to convert it to a full sale rather than a crazy 6 month loan is actually a good sign for the competence of the Galaxy (although it’s just as likely MLS wouldn’t sign off on the loan, requiring the renegotiation). Either way, when deals don’t get done in time, you first have to go back and figure out why the deal negotiation started so late and which side had to give in the most.

17. SuperNerdToTheRescue

Dec 28, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Might've been the league office's fault.

TrickHog and hav77 repped this.
  18. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    I'm not sure LAFC is really a fair comparison. Most of those players prefer to play as a wing rather than a center forward, which is what Chicharito, Jovelic, and Judd play. In fact, that's one complaint from LAFC fans about the Arango transfer - they felt he was pretty much the only true center forward they had.

If you include all of the Galaxy center forwards AND wings together, we . . . OK, we need several more "forwards" :(

ProudNatRN and TrickHog repped this.
  19. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    #744 Benny Dargle, Feb 1, 2023
    https://www.espn.com.mx/futbol/espa...celona-por-que-no-completo-pase-julian-araujo

This article suggests the Araujo deal is unlikely to get approved, but also suggests the change in structure was the real cause of the delay and part of that was Barca wanting a termination option even in the purported "non-loan" deal.

I've got to say, if Barca was that insistent on a deal that gave them a full "out," whether through termination or a loan, this might not have been such a great deal for Julian because it suggest they weren't willing to commit to him and his development. Of course, it could also be about trying to smooth the finances given their problems in that regard, but this was already a pretty cheap deal for them.

20. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    I would suggest Galaxy fans don't go over to the LAFC site and see what they're doing because you will only be dissappointed and angry. :eek: :( :cautious: :mad:

TrickHog repped this.
  21. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Araujo deal just missing the deadline sounds exactly like my students turning in online homework at the last minute.

TrickHog repped this.
  22. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    So Milan is parting ways with Ibrahimovic or so the rumor goes.

At 41 he may have enough left to share the point of the spear with Chich and help keep each other fresh and injury free. Swede! SWEDE!! SWEDE!!! :geek:
    images-1.jpg

Dawdler, shelbo, Beakmon FC and 2 others repped this.
  23. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    #748 Benny Dargle, Feb 1, 2023
    The Araujo transfer paperwork was 18 seconds late according to reports, blamed on a "computer error" (whatever that means). Wonder if they synchronize their watches at the beginning of the window? FIFA decision on the appeal supposedly expected on Thursday.

If it doesn't go through, I wonder if MLS would allow the Galaxy to register the deal now for the Summer window. My guess is that the spirit of the sanctions is (1) Klein has no involvement, and (2) we are deprived the ability to obtain new players internationally during the second window. Doing a deal now for the summer window would respect both of those punishments (and we get the use of Araujo in the interim).

Berks and hav77 repped this.
  24. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I don't think LAFC is doing that great so far. Arango being sold to Pachuca for cash and roster compliance issues, indicates that perhaps their new club GAM and TAM funds are running low. In terms of their depth, Bale retired, Blessing went to New England and Ibeagha to Dallas. AFAIK, Hollingshead has still not resigned with LAFC and is still a Free Agent. I know they have signed Aaron Long, but so far, nothing else of real note. And Long is their fifth central defender.

25. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Hollingshead re-signed with LAFC in November

https://www.lafc.com/news/lafc-re-signs-defender-ryan-hollingshead

hav77 repped this.