Official 2020 Samurai Blue thread

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Samurai Warrior, Jan 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    Doan and Shibasaki both failed ok but what about Minamino? He's going to turn out as the new Usami with a particular tendence to miss easy goal.

2+ years after Belgium debacle and 2 years before Qatar2022 we have upgrade only in CB positions (and that's amazing) while a total downfall in every other spots with the exception of H.Sakai (0 chance to find some FW apart from Osako).

I hope Tokyo2020+1 will give some new meat instead of the usual flash in the pan.

seolseol repped this.
  2. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Sekigawa only recently became a starter if I am not wrong, don't recall him starting regular during the start of season iirc. From the past clips I have seen of him, he seems to have a tendency of being caught out of position that I even felt that CB was not his natural position, not sure how he is now though. Best young CB right now in J-league I think will be the likes of Ayumu Seko, etc. Not sure if Sekigawa can surpass that.

Either way, Itakura will be Yoshida's succesor and Nakayama/Ueda are viable options in the position as well hence this position should be not be the most worrying at JNT as of now. More worried about the CF position as not sure who has the ability to hold the ball up and vie for balls with CBs like Osako is able to now that he is not in the best of form.
    Hopefully, Yuma Suzuki can rise up one day. Musashi Suzuki is better physically but his technical ability is slightly worse than Suzuki imo.

3. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Sekigawa always played as CB only, even at youth level.

4. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    I remembered seeing him at one of his high school game and he was all over the pitch instead of sticking to his position. I think his coach or what mentioned that it is uncommon for a CB to do that.

5. tomoyuki

tomoyuki Member

Dec 19, 2017
    #55 tomoyuki, Oct 11, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    Missing a sitter against Arsenal doesn't make him a chance wasting machine. His club/NT stats tell he has been an effective scorer. Comparing Minamino with Usami is almost an insult for Minamino. Unlike Usami, he is a hard worker with versatile positional abilities.

Really?

DM

Bundesliga pundits regard Endo as the most influential player for Stuttgart and he has proved it being in the top 10 of Kicker ratings. Hashimoto is doing well for a decent Russian team. Itakura could be an option too. Let's be honest, 34-year-old Hasebe in 2018 had already moved past his prime time as DM and that's why Frankfurt switched him to CB during 2016/17 season. As for Shibasahi, nothing has changed. In 2018 he was a benchwarmer at Getafe. He was/is/will be never top league material.

AM

Inui, declining Kagawa, Haraguchi, declining Honda, useless Usami vs Minamino, Kubo, Kamada, Ito, Haraguchi

I take the latter any day. Minamino has been a clutch for NT, Kubo created the second most chances in 2019/20 La Liga after Messi, Kamada has been a star for Frankfurt. Even Haraguchi is doing better than himself in 2018.

CF

It's true that Japan is struggling to find a new target man. There is no alternative to Osako. But Minamino can play as false 9 in middle. If I'm correct, Liverpool bought him as a back-up/successor for Firmino.

My concern is left back. Nagatomo isn't what he used to be and Anzai is just poor. Maybe Japan should stick to 3 centre backs.

Samurai Warrior, seolseol and gamban98 repped this.
  6. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Samurai Warrior, seolseol and gamban98 repped this.
  7. datschge

datschge Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    Germany
    Can you give some timestamps? One and a half hours is a little too much on the long side for me. Thanks!

seolseol repped this.
  8. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doan/Bielefeld: 3m~
    Keita Endo/Union: 16m~
    Wataru Endo/Stuttgart: 55m~

datschge and seolseol repped this.
  9. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Likewise Constantin also describes Doan as a "difference-maker" for Bielefeld, with his "dynamic nature and progressive dribbling, who needs to be in the starting 11 every game". Note that he is playing as an attacking #8 in the Bundesliga rather than on the wing.
    `
    Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 2.43.47 PM.png

Samurai Warrior, gamban98 and datschge repped this.
  10. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    #60 teioh, Oct 11, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    Sorry but declining Kagawa and Honda wtf r u talking about? o_O

Just say: Kagawa vs Minamino (till now, ignore no Top5 league records).

S.Kagawa = Bundesliga x2, DfB Pokal x2, Premier League x1, Comm.Shield x1. Add first japanese player in ManUtd and first japanese hattrick in EPL as a protagonist despite Van Persie and Rooney in their prime. SAF choose him for the UCL match vs Real in Madrid.
    All this but 1 DfB Pokal at the same actual age of Minamino.

T.Minamino = Premier League x1 (as a benchwarmer, nearly totally stranger player). First japanese player in Pool yes and nothing more.

I really need to talk about Honda UCL/WC stats compared to the like of Kamada?

Kubo is a bench warmer in a relegation contender team in La Liga. He's gifted but he has everything to prove he's not a waste of talent. As now in JNT he was indefinable or worst.

seolseol repped this.
  11. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    Can't edit...
    Anyway:
    My bad. Mid table team in LaLiga.

12. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012

13. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Honda and Kagawa are declining. They are certainly not the players they used to be.

seolseol and gamban98 repped this.
  14. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    And one of them, as far as I know, is not even attached to any team to this day.

seolseol and gamban98 repped this.
  15. tomoyuki

tomoyuki Member

Dec 19, 2017
    #65 tomoyuki, Oct 12, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    Both Kagawa and Honda weren't what they used to be in 2018. Kagawa was almost non-existent in Dortmund that season and Honda wasn't even in Europe. First of all, Kagawa was never a good contributor to Japan NT, even in his best days. I'm not saying he was bad, however he never lived up to his hype for the NT. Minamino is gradually adjusting to the game in England. Kamada has already scored more goals than Honda in European competitions including 2 against Arsenal and hat-trick against strong RB Salzburg. He is getting better and better. When Honda was 23, he was still playing for a small Dutch team.

Learn the definition of "mid-table". Villarreal have secured top 5 finishes 4 times in the last 5 La Liga seasons and on paper UCL qualification is a must this season, considering their big spending in the summer. Kubo will earn more playing time soon and become a starter in the end. Keep in mind that there were less pre season time this season because of the virus. Villarreal didn't invest 5M euros (2.5M loan fee + 2.5M his salary) on him just for 1 season loan to sit him on the bench. He was one of the best dribblers/chance creators in the league last season, despite playing for a terrible team.

Kubo was one of the top rated players at the Copa America.

vs Chile, #3 in the team
    https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1361402/Live/International-Copa-America-2019-Japan-Chile
    vs Ecuador, #1 in the team
    https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1361406/Live/International-Copa-America-2019-Ecuador-Japan

Samurai Warrior and gamban98 repped this.
  16. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    We were talking about the past.

17. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    #67 teioh, Oct 12, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    Sure. I was talking about Kagawa and Honda at their best. As now, there's no a japanese player even close to what they were and achieved.

18. gamban98

gamban98 Member

Dec 7, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Doan is too slow for a winger. His future is in central midfield. Moriyasu should stop putting him in the right wing and play him where he is most effective.

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  19. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Yeah but Tomoyuki and naopon were talking about those players declining NOW, they weren't shitting on their lifetime achievements.

20. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    :eek:
    Clearly I must've missed the alternative reality where Villarreal didn't finish 5th last season...

teioh repped this.
  21. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    Most ********ed up lineup since Japan vs Poland 2 years ago.

22. NaohiroTakahara

NaohiroTakahara Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    I think one of the best lineups when you outline Shibasaki. But the other Pick ups are good.

23. poyotaryo

poyotaryo Member

Brazil
    Feb 14, 2020
    Brussels, Belgium
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Hi all. Can someone send me a decent link for the game? All I had had to stop, I ended up watching it on a 240p youtube live... ( if you have nothing else...)

Thanks in advance !

24. riyadmahrez

riyadmahrez New Member

ajax, Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Oct 29, 2019
    Suzuki doesnt seem to suit the Japan playing style. He isnt good at holding up the ball. Kubo was really bad too. He is a good dribbler, but his positioning and combination play isnt that good. Ito was good, very energetic and Kamada wasnt bad.

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  25. riyadmahrez

riyadmahrez New Member

ajax, Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Oct 29, 2019
    If you bring in minamino and osako, for kubo and suzuki., Japan will win this easily.