Official: 2020 Rumor and Roster Moves Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ragbone, Oct 8, 2019.

1. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's pretty standard across MLS, for good or ill. Expect the golden boot winner to have another 30+ season. We also just offloaded a million dollar defender (at one point we had the highest-paid defense in MLS).

I do think we're going to splash on a would-be starter at CB. I wonder if we waited for the CBA to go thru?

GalaxyOne, barroldinho and WarGalaxy repped this.
  2. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My scouts in football manager 2020 say that Franco would be a quality signing for us! I think they may have said the same about Jorgan Skittles back in the day tho....

3. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That's what I thought too. You get three players who are in the millions, your starters are generally 300k+ and then depth is provided by younger players on their first contract or older journeymen there to get paid.

---------------------Chich(??m)----------------------
    Pavon(1.2m)------------------------Katai(1.3m)
    ---------------------Lletget(300k)---------------
    --------DosSantos(2m)------Corona(550k)------
    Insua(??)-- Gonzales(650k)--Franco(???)-Feltcher(218k)
    ----------------------Bingham(375k)----------------

That looks about right. We've got some overpriced players and some bargains as reserves but it always turns out that way.

4. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. I think the key is that once you get close to 1 million dollars and up, they HAVE to deliver. That money can't be wasted. And in the last couple years we've had a couple players in that range who were straight out flops....

5. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yes, I would happy to have defenders that performed at a 300k/yr level. If we did I think we would be a top 3 team, with Cup aspirations.

barroldinho and TrickHog repped this.
  6. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny story: one of the guys from the Squadcast (who tend to have some pretty good insider info at times; they broke the Zlatan news before anybody) said that he talked to a player who said Jorgan was amazing in training. Like "1st year Jelle" amazing. :eek:

GalaxyOne repped this.
  8. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently he’s in the starting line up and we are not close to signing him.

At least we’re targeting the right kinds of center backs. Too bad we are apparently cheap about it.

El Futbolisimo repped this.
  9. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Kobe Hernandez Foster has left our academy to sign for Wolfsburg.

Gone. For free.

Namrog The Just, WarGalaxy and hav77 repped this.
  10. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's just brutal how MLS loses out on top talent they help develop. What's the solution? I have no idea.

11. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It's a problem. We should get some training comp here since MLS changes their stance before he signed (but after Uly and Alex Mendez) but it's not a lot of money.

TrickHog repped this.
  12. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    It's a crapshoot. As Galaxy fans, it really sucks we have now lost numerous talents for nothing. Any of those guys could have been in our team in the next few years, but they will be getting arguably much better training and preparation in europe.

So as a USA fan, this is great for the nation especially considering how bad we are at developing talent here. But yea I don't like to see us lose talent like this.

If I was garber, I'd make it a rule that if one of your youth players get poached for europe, you are entitled to another 500k-750k of cap space for that season. This way you at least get some benefit.

13. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve always wondered, if they come to MLS in the future, do we have their rights? If so there may be some pay off in the very long term.

Small solace.

WarGalaxy and TrickHog repped this.
  14. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    If we have made contract offers to them, yes. In the past, we retained Paul Arriola and Zico Bailey rights and we traded them to other MLS teams.

15. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais

It looks like we're moving in the right direction.

16. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais

It seems we're moving in the right direction.

The Beautiful Gamer and TrickHog repped this.
  17. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    You want to develop talent that want to be the best. The downside to that is someone who wants to be the best is going to want to prove it and MLS isn’t that place. The league suffers at larger scale what the likes of Southampton do in the Premier League.

It’s not realistic to think we'll be able to retain those types of players, but the league as a whole needs to figure out a way to ensure compensation.

18. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.

19. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    In the battle of anonymous twitter rumor sites, a different one claims Franco is not coming to the Galaxy

20. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Methinks my emotions are being played with so someone can get more twitter followers...

TrickHog repped this.
  21. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It won't actually be for free, as MLS and USSF opted back into the FIFA Solidarity Payments and Training Compensation mechanisms that they'd previously opted out of.

As a result, we will receive a training fee based on his years in our academy, with additional fees every time he gets transferred before his 23rd birthday. Potentially even better, we'll get a percentage of every transfer fee paid for him for the rest of his career.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...g-compensation-claims-and-solidarity-payments

22. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    "LA Galaxy Rumors" is the twitter account that claimed Chicharito was signed one week before it actually happened, which as you'll recall, was nowhere near true as at one point it looked like the deal might fall through.

It's worth noting that at no point did that account attempt to update or retract that statement. I'd give Jon E Rojas and MLS Buzz a little more credence, though as @Benny Dargle correctly notes, none of them are official.

Sadly, it seems the best source remains noted LAFC entusiast, Kevin Baxter of the LA Times.

23. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    In Te Kloese we trust. Truth be told the expectation of players playing up to their pay grade is always there but the reality is, it is a roll of the dice. I am putting high hopes on Kljestan and Katai that they will unleash on teams this season but.... there is always that "but." This is on top of the guys that MUST perform this year like Pavon, Lletget, Jona and Chich. Not to mention the revamped back line. It's very stressing right now as a fan. Waiting to see what happens with the everlovin chemistry of this team.

24. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    This also states it's a 4 year deal. That worries me a little after the fiasco that was GDS and Skittles. Isn't 3 years a more standard contract?

TrickHog repped this.
  25. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Very different situations. All the evidence so far points toward DTK being a very good evaluator of talent, unlike Klein & clowns. Second both GDS and Skjoiok had warning flags in their histories that we ignored. GDS had failed to live up to hype at his former clubs and had poor club stats on both assists and goals. He got a lot of his rep from ooh and aah plays and a few high profile goals, not for his consistent production. Skjoiu's club had recently moved him from cb to lb because he wasn't working out in the former position. Add in the fact that neither of the players' clubs fought to keep them - that tells you a lot right there.

OTOH this Alan Franco fellow is starting at cb on a top Argentinian team at age 23. That is impressive in itself - there is a lot of experienced competition for that spot. Plus his club is fighting to keep him unlike many of our recent disastrous pick-ups.

And again the main point - I trust DTK a lot more than the Bermuda Triangle of Klein, Vagenas and Kiroski .