Official: 2020 Rumor and Roster Moves Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ragbone, Oct 8, 2019.

1. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i say we need both.
    We need to starter Fullbacks, a DP class Forward and Starter class Winger/Forward if and when Romain gets hurt again next year.

For the forward I would not mind a Gareth Bale at all. I also would consider David Silva (33) who I also think would be available this year as well.

73Bruin repped this.
  2. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    #52 73Bruin, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    It depends upon who had the final say on DP signings. Bruce didn't have that control, Tim did. AEG seems to insist on at least one big name. If you restrict the list to South Americans, we know Neymar, MessI and Ronaldo aren't coming. Cavani is on an expiring contract but also has missed a lot of games due to hamstring and other injuries. If you expand the list, then Chicharito would seem to meet AEG's criteria.

Otherwise, Zlatan may be the biggest name in available center forwards. Who knows what Real Madrid wants for Bale.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  3. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We also need midfield creativity which is why I'm not that high on Favio.

skydog and 73Bruin repped this.
  4. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #54 The Beautiful Gamer, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    I know Kevin Baxter would love to see Javier Hernandez on this team. Plus De Klose knows him well enough that we could actually get a legit conversation with him and his people. It would also require buying out his current 3 year 7+million euro deal with Sevilla.

I think I would want us to go 4-4-2 diamond if we signed him though

--------------Chicharito---------Llegett
    ----------------------------JDS
    ------Pavon------------------------------Romain
    ------------------------Corona
    New LB----Polenta---Romney/Steres/Gonzalez-----New RB

5. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I would love to see Modric with the Galaxy. However, assuming that the Galaxy use a DP slot for a forward, it would require either a 4th DP slot or Romain leaving or signing a TAM contract.

6. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But neither team in the final has a starting striker with more than 15 goals on the season. In fact, all of the golden boot chasers were bottled up effectively in the playoffs and their teams eliminated; maybe a lesson against relying heavily on a single goal-scorer? Zlatan only scored 1 of his team's 5 playoff goals; Vela 2 of 6, Josef Martinez 1 of 4.

A good MLS striker -- not even elite -- say a Kei Kamara type, will bag about 15 goals a season playing between Pavon and Alessandrini and in front of Jona Dos Santos in a good attacking set-up. The difference is, that striker would also create chances for Pavon, Romain, and Jona (or Antuna and Alvarez) to finish more often -- which is something Zlatan doesn't do. We should not mistake players not finishing for an inability to finish.

7. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I’ll be interested to see what happens with Bale. I can’t tell if his agreement to move to China was just a "get me out of here by any means necessary" or if he thinks after 3 (4?) Champions’ Leagues a title and few other trinkets along the way he doesn’t need to play for an elite club anymore. Does seem like he really wants out of Madrid in January though.

Injury-prone and I doubt turf will do him any favors. He’s also sort of the Pavon/Allesandrini role as a wide-forward so it doesn’t really solve any problem, just upgrades that position. I still think we’d need a very good striker even though Bale would likely knock in a substantial number of goals.

8. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Again where Stejskal did say this? I don't trust argentinian sources...

http://cornerofthegalaxy.com/2019/08/07/galaxy-finally-land-pavon/

https://theathletic.co.uk/1124142/2...pavon-to-unusual-free-loan-deal-with-options/

Otherwise I agree, I want to keep Pavon as long as possible.

MPNumber9 and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  9. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Agree on all points. And I just can't see Bale ending up in MLS next year. He's waaay too expensive - Real is likely going to want some 10's of millions in a transfer fee and Bale will likely get a $20m+/yr salary (given that's what the Chinese team is offering, according to reports). And with his injury history and age he comes with significant risk and so is probably not worth that much. But a Chinese club might be rich enough (with help from the league) to justify spending that much on Bale for PR reasons.

73Bruin and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  10. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The ideal Galaxy DPs:

1) Kun Aguero

2) Benzema

They score and they create.

mbar, Dr.Phil, MPNumber9 and 5 others repped this.
  11. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    The rumor was the Chinese club’s salary was based on Real letting Bale go on a free. That whole Zidane/Bale fracas this summer reached a head, and then Real got cold feet at the last minute. Rumors so who knows. He’s still going to be outrageously expensive.

hav77, skydog and 73Bruin repped this.
  12. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Ahhh.. I was just surmising. Amazing shxxshow these days for such a storied club.

13. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What's Alexis up to these days. I think he'd be the perfect forward for the Gs.

14. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia

This was right before we signed him. Like I said, I am not positive this is the case, but there seems to be numerous reports of the 18 months $2million loan. If we were smart, we could have kept Pavon under the 1.5 million DP threshold for 2020.

15. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    ---------------------------Aguero---------------------------------
    ---------Pavon----------Lletget----------Alessandrini-------
    -----------------Corona---------Dos Santos-------------------

[​IMG]

16. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Ghosting and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  17. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hmm. I seem to recall Bruce rejecting Ronaldinho at one point, due to his penchant for partying and questionable work ethic.

Clearly if any of those three are available, you take them. I think the general point was more that we look to younger up-and-comers or solid players in the Americas in or around their prime. Though in fairness, we certainly seem to be taking such an approach, when you consider we've signed Pavon, Corona, Favio and Gonzalez of late.

As a Man United fan, I've got a lot of time for Chicharito. Always seemed a very likable guy and on form he's a lethal finisher.

However, if we're saying that we require a more dynamic forward than Zlatan to fully realize GBS's vision, this would discount Hernandez entirely. He is a pure goal-poaching number 9 who has seen fluctuations in form throughout his career. If Zlatan was starved of service, this would compound that issue as he's not going to be creating much on his own.

JPAR and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  18. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    This has to be your worst and silliest argument yet. Look at MLS stats for once. You find that the Galaxy tied for 3rd in scoring with 58 goals. They were 2nd in assists with 62. Zlatan led all forwards (not named Vela) with more than 10 goals in assists with 8. He probably would have had more assists and goals if he had Pavon for a full season and not less than a third. Throw in a healthy Romain and his totals would have been even higher.

Meanwhile, how does that noted header, Kei Kamara provide more scoring opportunities for his teammates? He had 1 assist. Are you trying to argue that he draws more attention from defenders than Zlatan?

19. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    On loan at Inter but he has fallen far from what he was.

73Bruin repped this.
  20. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Isn't he still on contract to ManU for several more years?

21. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think I said anything about Kei Kamara one way or the other. As I say all the time, stats don't tell a story, but they may explain it. So let's talk stats, because they do explain the story of this season very well:

As you said, the Galaxy are 2nd in assists (behind only LAFC). In fact, the Galaxy have more assists than goals, which is only possible because of secondary assists -- this means on many of LA's goals, the ball is being touched by at least 3 players in sequence (the chance creator, assister and finisher). Additionally, as we know, Zlatan is 2nd in goals this season (behind Vela), but he's also 2nd in shots and 2nd shots on goal (also behind Vela).

The elite number of 2ndary assists, shots, and shots on target tells me Zlatan is getting lots of chances to score in MLS, mostly being created by others. Zlatan's conversion rate is actually slightly poorer than Vela's and Martinez's, which you maybe could explain because those teams play in such a way that their strikers can almost walk goals in (their xGs are also higher). But Zlatan's conversion rate's also poorer than guys who get lots fewer chances per game, like CJ Sapong and Gyasi Zardes. We've all seen Zlatan miss big chances (though I don't really hold that against him). My point is to dispel the notion that Zlatan is doing everything himself; he's getting many good chances that even an average goal scorer would score from. In fact, if you watch all his goals from this season, I count no less than 10 that you'd expect any average goal scorer to tuck away (though of course, there are about 5-6 in there that no one else on Earth can score).

This analysis attempts to calculate an "expected threat" and attempts to measure how often a striker creates their own shot. The chart below shows strikers in MLS plotted with xG vs. %of own chances created. Look at where MLS top goal scorers Martinez, Vela and Ibra appear respectively -- of the three, Ibra's most dependent on help from his team, around the level that Wondo, Sapong and Kamara are. IMO, in general, it's a bad idea to have a DP striker this dependent on service.

https://www.americansocceranalysis....-xt-to-find-the-best-shot-creators-in-the-mls

[​IMG]

22. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But what kind of chances?
    Being service dependent is not the most terrible thing, but the kind of service Zlatan needs is another factor that hurts our team. He's very dependent on aerial crosses, which are an inherently risky form of attacking, even with Zlatan who is good in the air.

The Galaxy were 2nd in total crosses and inaccurate crosses in MLS (behind Portland) meaning we gave the ball away more than 550 this season. 550 times we sent the ball in with our outside backs and midfielders upfield. Not hard to build a strategy to oppose that.

The Galaxy lead the league in key passes from corners and tied Colorado and Portland to lead on assists from key passes. So it paid off for us this season, but the rest of our 5'8'' team who are finesse guys who like the ball on their feet (and are most dangerous in those situations) do not benefit from this type of service. Nor are they necessarily proficient at putting in crosses (a specific skill).

So my assessment is 1) Zlatan is dependent on good service 2) The type of service he needs puts us at risk defensively and isn't valuable to the rest of the team's scorers.

Ghosting repped this.
  23. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Really, it was in the post I responded to and visible in the portion shown. I will require it below.

For the record not that many MLS strikers get 15 goals a season. There were a total of 7 with LAFC having 2. FWIW, Pavon (with Zlatan) projects to a 16 to 20 goal scorer over a full season.

The Beautiful Gamer and MPNumber9 repped this.
  24. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think he's got something like 2.5 but the way things went last season, I don't think United would hold out for a massive fee, unless of course he breaks out at Inter this season. I don't think that's likely though.

25. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What happened to him at MU? Isn't he only 30 YO?