Official: 2020 Rumor and Roster Moves Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ragbone, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watch the zlatan video be an ad

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  2. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berks, hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  3. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
  4. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Who knows what he's doing. It could be for a Samsung promotion.

5. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Good to at least have it settled, if true. We can start working on moves in short order.

6. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So we definitely need to sign a forward.
    I didn't realize that. That was an amazing piece of business if true!

7. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    A lot of our moves will be dependent on the new CBA. Until then, I'm afraid we're in for a long wait-and-see.

Geneva, Skevin, MPNumber9 and 2 others repped this.
  8. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I'm sorry but what are your sources? We never had a clear answer but many writers believed that if we chosed to extend Pavon's loan in 2020, he would take a DP spot.

9. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't realize the CBA was already up. Ya usually these off season linger as we wait to see the changes

10. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ugh! You know that both sides won't get this done quickly, if only for the sheer posturing.

I'd like to see the TAM and GAM mechanisms marginalized or eliminated in favor of a larger cap in general. I don't want to see an additional DP slot. The current number seems to strike a good balance between attracting stronger talent without boiling the league down to a battle of the bank accounts.

The Cadaver and natfaninla repped this.
  11. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Return to Inter and retire there i guess.

12. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Unless we sign a real superstar we will likely need to sign TWO new forwards to replace Zlatan's production of >1g/gm. Most top MLS forwards are in the 0.45->0.60 g/gm range (Jozy 0.59, Nikolic 0.54, Kamara 0.50, Rossi 0.50). I know some think Pavon or others will step up their game but Pavon is already producing ~.3g/gm so even if he bumped that up to 0.5 (unlikely, he's not a natural forward) that would only replace 0.2 of Ibra's output. So offensively we will need to sign two new very good forwards or else one of those rare Vela/Zlatan/Martinez equivalents.

73Bruin and barroldinho repped this.
  13. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Your good. This is where I got it from. Now obviously I am not te Kloese, but this is what I heard from numerous sources including Sam Stejskal.

Basically we signed a $2million 18 month loan deal for Pavon with a purchase agreement for $20million at the end of the 18 month loan. We structured Pavon's wages so that he would be under the DP threshold for both this season and next season since his cap hit is $2million across 2 seasons. I believe we do have an option this offseason to cancel his loan, but I have no idea why'd we do that. Pavon is a DP level player so I am glad we get 1 more year out of him minimum.

14. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm also struggling with this narrative that we played better w/o Zlatan since the data says the opposite. In the 5 games he missed we were 2-3-0 and were outscored 8-4. In 3 of the 5 games we were shutout.

I think that "better w/o Ibra" narrative was born from the early good Ibra-less outing, when we beat MIN 3-2 at home. But the other four such games we were largely toothless and struggled to generate shots, much less goals.

I keep harping on this only because I think many are underestimating how much firepower we are going to have to bring in to replace those 30g+7a. Adding one good forward won't cut it- we need two at least and probably a third for depth.

15. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    While, I agree with Skydog about the difficulty in replacing Zlatan, I would be happy to see the Galaxy sign Bale with a transfer fee and Modric on a free in July as Zlatan replacements.

Ghosting, hav77, Skevin and 2 others repped this.
  17. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no "better without Ibra" narrative. We're clearly NOT a better team without our DP striker TODAY. But we WOULD be a better team with a different type of center forward.

People highlight the Minnesota match because of the quality of the performance, because you got to see what this team would look like with GBS more desired style of center forward.

That's totally weird, because 5 other teams either matched or outscored the Galaxy without having Zlatan on their team and didn't have to field 36 forwards or whatever. The Union scored the same number of goals as us and could anyone even name their forwards? If you build a good enough team, you don't need a forward to single-handedly do that much heavy lifting.

Ghosting repped this.
  18. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Bale would actually be a good shout and be a massive signing. I really don't see how it can happen, but I am already attached to the idea.

19. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cavani and Giroud are out of contract this coming summer. They are 32 and 33 respectively but can certainly play well at this level

20. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    If we got Bale we would have to have an award for who missed more games through injury, him or Alessandrini. Love both players, but we need durability.

I think the Zlatan issue is also one of how the coach wants to play. With Zlatan, protect the defense and let him score a goal a game and we would win a lot. Play an open game plan and he scores more, but so do our opponents. GBS needs to adjust.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  21. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    My point wasn't that we had to get a new Zlatan - it was that our particular team will need to add two or more good forwards (meaning 0.5g/90m type players) to replace him. I know you believe that if we had a different playing style we would be getting goals from all over the place but I don't think that is necessarily true. Players like Antuna and Favio just aren't great finishers even when they get good chances, as we saw this season. Further neither is that good at creating their own chances. The only consistent offensive threat on the team other than Zlatan is Allesandrini when healthy and Pavon. But Romain has seldom been healthy and Pavon is more of an offensive mid than a forward. He has averaged about 1 goal every 4 games throughout his career, a rate he continues with us.

To win in this league your team needs to score >1.5g/gm. It's hard to there without a couple 0.5g/gm forwards or one 1.0g/gm superforward. You mentioned PHI which indeed is a historical outlier with 8 players scoring 4 or more goals. But they also had 5 forwards and a midfielder all with a goal scoring efficiency of 0.5g/90m or more. In fact for 8 games they had forward David Accam whose 1.07g/90m scoring efficiency was higher than Zlatan's. We otoh had 0 such players not named Ibra.

Bottom line is that our current 2020 roster w/o Zlatan has only one decent forward - Allesandrini - and we all know we can't count on him being healthy for the season. So I stick to my argument that if Zlatan leaves we need to sign at least 2 new good forwards to have a real chance of being a contender next season.

barroldinho and JPAR repped this.
  22. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All evidence seems like GBS and DTK will be looking to South America for our reinforcements. I'll be surprised if we get a big name Euro player.

hav77, 73Bruin and skydog repped this.
  23. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MPNumber9 and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  24. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Idk how I feel like that. We have been synonymous with aging european stars for over a decade now. Sometimes it works, and others not so much. But it is fun to see a big name sign for us.

25. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we need a big name to fill seats or would good players without the household name that can help the team win fill seats?