Official: 2020 LA Galaxy II Season

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by LEM-LAG, Dec 5, 2019.

1. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Well he definitely reverted to form last night. Actually he and the whole defense looked like the were clones of Skjelvik. Totally lost and clueless. I've seen youth teams play more aware defense.

TrickHog repped this.
  2. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    3-0 defeat at home against San Diego. Unfortunately (or fortunately I should say...), the replay is not available on USL YouTube channel, so I won't make any recap.

Here are the highlights :

Next game is next week against Las Vegas, once again at home. 3 points is an obligation for Los Dos.

TrickHog and ProudNatRN repped this.
  3. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Gameday! G2 plays Las Vegas at home, a very winnable match against a team they beat 4-3 a few weeks ago. With a win Los Dos will be back in a playoff spot. Can the young Galaxys bounce back from their defeat last week? Game is at 7 PM.

MPNumber9 and TrickHog repped this.
  4. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    [​IMG]

Solid lineup. Vazquez is back, it could mean more stability in defense. Johnny Perez on the bench.

5. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    After being down 2-0, GIIs score 3, including a brace from Williams. Perez has looked lively since coming on at halftime

TrickHog repped this.
  6. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Final score : 3-2. Everything was not perfect but once again a great fight by Los Dos.

With this win G2 now have 21 points in 12 games and are second in their group, with San Diego sitting third with 19 points (13 games) and Orange County next with 18 points out of 12 matches.

I'll provide a recap later, it's 6 AM in France ahah. Good night!

7. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Los Dos were down 2-0 after 30 minutes but never looked lost, and it paid off. Two goals for Williams (4th in the USL Golden Boot race) and another for Johnny Perez, who had a great entrance. Credit to the team who didn't panic, I'm always impressed by their maturity. Junior Gonzalez is definitely a good coach.

The problem remains the same for Los Dos : it's too easy for opposite players to run through their defense. Jesus Vazquez was on fault on both goals (especially on the first, too passive), but as usual was very good otherwise. Consistency is an issue for him, it's a shame because he's not far from the first team.

Two goals conceded by Romero but I can't blame him on both goals, otherwise a few solid saves, as our GK continues his good season. Cuevas was strong on one-on-one defending most of the time, and hit a perfect long ball to Perez on his goal.

Ontiveros had one of his best games for G2, very few trouble on his right side and made a great run (Las Vegas defense was suspect on this one) and a solid cross to Williams on the first goal. Surprisingly, Ontiveros is now leading alone the team in assists with three this year (all for Williams I believe). Jalen Neal was once again very solid, to me he's the good surprise coming off the Academy this season.

Vera had a great game, his best in years. I'm not surprised, I've always said the only spot he can perform is the box-to-box position. We've tried a few youngsters there this season (Alvarado, Valdez, Gonzalez), none of them convinced me, so give Vera a run there.

Gutierrez was terrible, Nava is all about speed but the finishing touch is not here yet. Jorge Hernandez still lacks consistency, he's good but at the same spot Johnny Perez, who's almost 2.5 years younger than him, will probably soon be better, and I don't speak about Efrain.

Next game is another home game, this time against San Diego, who beat us 3-0 last week. Crucial game (at this point, all are crucial) for G2 in the playoffs race.

skydog and TrickHog repped this.
  8. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Home game against San Diego tomorrow (7 PM, during our game at RSL). Landon's team got a great result last week at Phoenix, a 3-2 win thanks to hat trick by Rubio Rubin. Huge match in the playoffs race.

2in10 repped this.
  9. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    GIIs scores late to pull out a 1-1 tie after Romero, who has usually been reliable, bungled a play coming out of the box and gave up a PK in the first half.

TrickHog repped this.
  10. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TrickHog repped this.
  11. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    TrickHog repped this.
  12. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very very disappointing. Ontiveros isn't one of the young players, he can't use the excuse of being a dumb kid. I have a feeling his time at the club might be over.

ragbone repped this.
  13. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Your feeling was correct. He’s been released

ragbone, hav77, ShortyMac and 2 others repped this.
  14. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Compared to SD and Landon’s statement, this is... this is... disappointing.

15. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    No, Romero made a terrible mistake a few minutes after, which ended with a shot just over the goal. It was Jalen Neal (who was great until this mistake) who made a late play in the box which resulted in a PK.

Deserved point for Los Dos who were the most effective team most of the night. Once again they came from behind, and scored a goal in stoppage time a few minutes after a San Diego player (former LA Galaxy Academy Elijah Martin) was sent off. Alejandro Alvarado scored his first Galaxy goal off a Mauricio Cuevas cross, very surprising given he's not a tall kid, but this Los Dos team never gives up.

MOTM : Mauricio Cuevas, assisted the game tying goal and was a beast on defense, once again solid in one vs. one defending.

[​IMG]

hav77 repped this.
  16. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    This was the correct decision.

From a pure soccer standpoint :

On a short term vision, this is not good news for Los Dos. Ontiveros's strength was his versatility. G2 have a solid lineup but a very short bench (especially on defense), and Ontiveros could fill in and do OK at every position. Plus he played his best soccer recently, so his loss is meaningful.

On a long term vision, I don't think the Galaxy organization lost a great player, as he was decent everywhere but not great at something. He was worth the try but I couldn't see him higher than USL.

MPNumber9, hav77 and Benny Dargle repped this.
  17. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Los Dos play tonight at Las Vegas (7:30 PM), in another crucial game for the playoffs. Las Vegas (coached by Frank Yallop) are eliminated from playoffs contention and Los Dos beat them twice this year (in narrow games), so there is hope but our youngsters have to take care of business.

Let's go Galaxys!

TrickHog and hav77 repped this.
  18. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Regarding LD, are you referring to this?

“I couldn’t be more proud to be part of this club. What’s the point of the BLM jerseys/armbands, the kneeling before every game and the commitment to ending racism if we don’t address it when it happens right before our eyes? This is NEVER acceptable and we will not stand for it.“

ShortyMac, 2in10 and TrickHog repped this.
  19. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That’s the one! SD Loyal apparently forfeited the point they earned from the draw as well.

hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  20. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read that they requested to forfeit. It is up to USL to decide if the point will be forfeited. We should know early next week I think. Powerful statement from SD Loyal.

Beirut repped this.
  21. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    2-2 draw at Las Vegas. Los Dos thought they finished the hard job after going from 0-1 to 2-1 but conceded a stoppage-time equalizer. The draw is a fair result as Los Dos looked disjointed and capitalized on two individual mistakes. In the same time, Orange County (Los Dos next opponent) lost to Phoenix, so the three points would have been huge.

[​IMG]

Romero was once again oustanding and made two clutch plays 1) when Los Dos were trailing 1-0, huge one-on-one save, fifteen seconds later Williams scored the tying goal 2) in the last second a great save on his line to prevent a Las Vegas winner. And I don't count many other saves. MOTM to me.

Augustine Williams lacked service all night long but created a goal all by himself, exploiting a defender mistake. Once again he saved the team.

Johnny Perez had up-and-down moments but scored the second goal on an opportunistc play. Alvarado capitalized on the goal he scored earlier this week and had a good performance in his box-to-box role.

Solid game by Neal, and Cuevas crosses are always very impressive. Gutierrez came off the bench and was terrible but managed to create a goal on a hopeful pass so credit to his hustle.

Jorge Hernandez his having a bad span, he has tried too much and has held the ball too long recently. Too easy to defend against him as he is not physical enough to keep the ball. He has to wake up.

Next game is maybe the most important game of the season, at home against Orange County on Wednesday.

TrickHog and hav77 repped this.
  22. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Two huge games tonight in Los Dos group : G2 - Orange County and San Diego - Phoenix (both at 7 PM). Los Dos can qualify for the playoffs tonight if :

- they beat Orange County.
    - San Diego draws or loses to Phoenix.

Biggest game of the year, let's go Galaxys!

hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  23. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go Galaxy Galaxy!!

24. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Los Dos will face Reno 1868 in the first round in Reno.

25. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    GII won 3-1. A brace from Augustine Williams, including a goal from the run of play that displayed his full skills as a target man as he collected and distributed the ball to the winger who took the ball down the side and passed back to Williams for a one time outside of foot (I think) shot that beat the GK.