Official: 2017 Rumor and Roster Moves Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ragbone, Nov 6, 2016.

1. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could Lletget and Jonathan Dos Santos work together in CM?

2. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't want this to get political, but I'm curious to see how a Trump presidency effects MLS and soccer in the States. Obviously foreign policy may come into play and players and clubs may have to jump through more hoops to sign foreign players.

It will definitely get players thinking twice about coming over to the MLS. Bunch of players from clubs across Europe have made it clear how they feel about this whole situation and it might deter some players from coming over. Will that force us to play more homegrown and local talent, because players either can't or won't come to the United States?

As I previously stated I don't want this to be a political debate as everything is kind of over with it and hate it or love it we have to deal with it know. I just wanted to open the topic on how the next political regime will effect our league.

3. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take a stab at this.

I would guess any effect from the election would affect the Galaxy less than other areas of the country. If there is significant deportation (not commenting on the feasibility of this) it could start to affect the consumer demographics of MLS. I don't see players refusing to play in LA, but maybe RSL, SKC. Generally though the places that have supported soccer tend to be more inclusive and I don't forsee that changing drastically. It's never easy to predict how things will shake out with a new political development (Brexit included).

4. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Cubs...
    Trump...
    Oh no, flounders may win. [​IMG]

5. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More people have been deported during the current presidency than during any time in history. It's possible Trump may ramp up on this further, but so far it hasn't had an effect on people's perceptions of MLS.

6. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The Terrible Treble

7. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't see why not. That should make Gio happy and hopefully squeeze more effort out of him. At almost $400,000/yr and 26 years old, it seems doable but, right now he's on contract until summer of '19 at Villarreal.

His 'market value' is apparently about $6.5 mil... does that translate to what a transfer fee would be if we tried to sign him away from them before '19?

http://www.transfermarkt.com/jonathan-dos-santos/profil/spieler/60445

8. rm1r0

rm1r0 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Keane saying he will be 100% in MLS is just normal part of the negotiation process. Just a negotiating tactic to induce the other party to play ball out of fear.

Keane was on $3.5M for 2016. I don't see any scenario where he would accept a DP-salary that could even possibly be bought down with TAM. The 2017 max player salary is $480,625 and we'll have about $800k in TAM. The rules of TAM allow a team to buy down the salary of a player that makes between $480,625 and $1M (this second number might be higher as it was based on 2016 salaries). Using these numbers, Keane would have to be willing to accept at best a $1.1M DP salary for 2017. Also, assuming LA is willing to use all their TAM on him. Personally, I would like to have Keane on a TAM deal ala Van Damme or De Jong, with the caveat that he would also have a coaching role that would supplement the kind of salary he wants and deserves, and we'd still have an open DP spot.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  9. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It might make Gio happier but it might not result in more production. Prior to this last season, Gio's best club season was with Villarreal in 2013-14. That year he scored 11 goals and had eight assists. The following season JDS joined Villarreal and Gip's production dropped to one goal and three assists. Obviously there's not a guaranteed correlation, but it's seems that Villarreal went all in on the dos Santos bothers but Gio didn't reward them with more effort and production.

Good news for us is that Villarreal was knocked out early from UCL, so they might be more whiling to part with JDS in the winter window. However they probably view JDS as a more valuable piece to their team than Gio was, and they were able to squeeze a nice transfer fee from us for Gio. Which means JDS would probably be a DP for us. I don't really mind the thought of that considering we need quality in the CM. Although the Galaxy might think that having two MNT DPs is redundant from a marketing standpoint, and would rather diversify their DPs.

10. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  11. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  13. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Regardless of who he's related to, I'd welcome JDS here with open arms.

WarGalaxy and Beep Boop Robot repped this.
  14. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I wouldn't mind Gerrard staying at the club, but not as a player. Let him build an Academy team or as assistant on Los Dos.

While ideally Keane would accept a pay cut and a reduced role in the team, I really wouldnt be that upset if we offered him another DP contract. He's earned his right to prove that this season, was just a bad one for him.

I'm already on the fence about renewing my season tickets this year, but bring Gerrard back would make sure I definitely didn't renew.

L.A. Native repped this.
  15. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PLEASE let your ticket rep know how you feel.

hav77, barroldinho and L.A. Native repped this.
  16. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kirovski redux

barroldinho repped this.
  17. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    This.

Too late for me but, maybe I'll call and ask when the deadline for refunds/cancellations is since I heard we may sign Gerrard to an extension.

18. edcrocker

edcrocker Member+

May 11, 1999
    I very much hope Bruce Arena decides to remain as head coach of the Galaxy and that the Galaxy sign him to a new contract. I think he is a great coach and the best coach in MLS.

I want to think more about the 11 players I’d like to see the Galaxy protect from selection in the expansion draft. But here is my initial list (in order of preference) of players I’d like to see them protect from selection:

1. Giovani Dos Santos
    2. Gyasi Zardes
    3. Sebastian Lletget
    4. Landon Donovan
    5. Jelle Van Damme
    6. A.J. DeLaGarza
    7. Robbie Rogers
    8. Daniel Steres
    9. Emmanuel Boateng
    10. Baggio Husidic
    11. Brian Rowe

I very much hope Landon Donovan comes back. If he were to come back in 2017, he likely would be a very good player in MLS. In the few games he played with the Galaxy this season, he showed that his ability to keep possession and create chances is still very good. He also is a very smart player who almost always makes good decisions. And he plays good positional defense. He also is a good player to have in the locker room. Moreover, this year he didn’t even have a preseason to get ready for the year.

If Donovan were to say to the Galaxy that he wants to play for them in 2017, should the Galaxy not protect him from selection in the expansion with the idea that Atlanta FC and Minnesota United would have reason to believe that if they were to select him in the expansion draft, he would refuse to play for them? I think it is too much of a risk. I think that if Donovan tells the Galaxy that he wants to play for them in 2017, the Galaxy should protect him from selection. I worry that Atlanta or Minnesota would pick him in the draft, promise to pay him lots of money and think that they could convince him to play for them. In that case, the Galaxy might not have Donovan play for them in 2017.

Moreover, the Galaxy should try to sign Donovan as a non-Designated Player (non-DP). Then they can use their DP slots on other elite players. However, if Donovan would agree to sign with Galaxy if and only if they make him a DP, should they do so? I think they should. I think that if Donovan would sign with the Galaxy if and only if they would make him a DP, then they should use one of their DP slots on Donovan, one on Giovani Dos Santos and one on another elite player that is not currently on their roster. I tend to doubt there are many players that the Galaxy could sign as DPs who would help the team more in 2017 than Donovan. Among other things, we know that he always plays hard and that he is well-adjusted to MLS and the city of Los Angeles. And even if the Galaxy were to sign him as a DP, they wouldn’t have to sign Steven Gerrard or Robbie Keane as DPs. So, the Galaxy still could have one more DP slot available to use on another elite player, for instance, Zlatan Ibrahimovic or Jonathan Dos Santos.

Steven Gerrard seems like a very good person, and he always gave his all for the Galaxy. And at one time, he was a world-class player. But, for the expansion draft, the Galaxy definitely should not protect him from selection, and they definitely should not us a DP slot on him. They certainly can find someone to sign as a DP who would help the team more in 2017 than Gerrard. Gerrard, thanks for your service to the Galaxy!

Robbie Keane is one of my all-time favorite MLS players. I just think the guy has been great. He has added so much to the Galaxy and the league. I’ve really enjoyed watching him play. But if he would sign a new contract with the Galaxy if and only if the Galaxy would make him a DP for 2017, then I think that, for the expansion draft, the Galaxy definitely should not protect him from selection. The Galaxy very likely could sign someone as a DP other than Keane who would help the team more over the next one to three seasons. He is 36 now and somewhat injury-prone. And he didn’t play at a DP level this year, especially at the end of the year and especially in light of the kind of player that the Galaxy could sign as a DP for 2017. As far as attracting players is concerned, the Galaxy have a lot going for them. They are the most prestigious club in MLS; they are a fairly prestigious club worldwide; they are located in one of the most desirable cities in the world in which to live; they have a great coach and organization; and they have significant financial resources at their disposal and a willingness to spend them. So, there are a lot of elite players out there who would like to play for the Galaxy, perhaps including Ibrahimovic or Jonathan Dos Santos.

What if Keane would agree to sign with the Galaxy as a non-DP and Donovan would agree to sign with the Galaxy if and only if they Galaxy made Donovan a DP? In that case, the Galaxy should not protect Keane from selection in the expansion draft and should protect Donovan from selection. Especially considering the way the two of them played at the end of this season, Donovan likely is a DP-caliber player for the Galaxy at this point. Keane likely is not. Donovan is younger, is a better passer at this point, has better endurance and is less injury-prone. And Donovan didn’t even have the advantage of having a preseason to get into shape. In fact, he had been out of professional soccer for 2 and ½ years.

Let’s say that Donovan would agree to sign for 2017 as a non-DP. And let’s say that Keane would agree to sign with the Galaxy as a non-DP, but the Galaxy’s signing Keane would make it impossible for them to sign Donovan as a non-DP, for instance, the Galaxy wouldn’t have enough Targeted Allocation Money available to sign both Keane and Donovan as non-DPs. In that case, the Galaxy should not protect Keane from selection in the expansion draft and should protect Donovan. Donovan looks like he would help the team significantly more in 2017 than Keane.

If both Donovan and Keane would agree to sign with the Galaxy as non-DPs, then should the Galaxy protect Keane from selection in the expansion draft and not protect Baggio Husidic or Brian Rowe? I don’t know. It depends. I’d seriously consider it. If the Galaxy were to fit both Keane’s and Donovan’s salaries under the salary-cap, how would it affect their overall salary-cap flexibility? I think Keane can still be a good player in the league, but I definitely don’t want him as a DP or at the expense of having Donovan on the roster.

Finally, in the expansion draft, I don’t think the Galaxy should protect Ashley Cole from selection. Moreover, given salary-cap considerations, I tend to think the Galaxy should not sign Cole for 2017 if that is possible. He makes too much money for what he likely could contribute to the club in 2017. He is older, and he has slowed down. The Galaxy could move Robbie Rogers back to left back and find another right back. The Galaxy then could platoon Rogers, A.J. DeLaGarza and the new outside back as three of the outside backs. Does anyone know when Marvell Wynn’s current contract expires? Wynn is at least 30 years old and has been in MLS for at least eight years. So, if he is out of contract with MLS at the end of 2016, he would be eligible for free-agency in 2017. He is incredibly fast and has been a good right back and center-back in MLS. I also believe that he grew up in Southern California and know that he attended UCLA.

Berks, rm1r0, StillKickin and 2 others repped this.
  19. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I have to assume Bruce is just being nice / respectful here. But no way I can take another season like the last two.

20. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Making Keane a DP again would remind me of what the Lakers did with Kobe by signing him to a huge contract when he was still recovering from major injury. That decision was disastrous from the Lakers and this would be a terrible decision for the Galaxy. Keane may still have a few goals in him but he is way beyond his prime and he does not strike me as a player who can make up for his decline by being a strong locker room leader. His ego does not seem to permit this.

21. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TrickHog repped this.
  22. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  23. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's time to move on from the old guys and rebuild. Keane should not be offered a DP deal, which he can probably get elsewhere, so he should go. He is simply too old to continue to be a major impact player.
    As much as I like Landon and was excited to see him back, he should go. While Landon is perhaps young enough age wise, he is mentally past it. We shouldn't rely on any half-hearted players. Him coming off at half time of the last game sealed that for me. Burning a sub that early was not helpful. Nothing more to be said about Gerrard... he should be gone.

Now you can start to build a skilled, youthful team offense around Zardes, Gio, Llegett, Boateng and 2 new DPs (preferably 32 or younger). The Defense is very decent as is, no changes needed at all. Keep a couple old vets such as Magee, Gordon, Larentowicz or Husidic to provide leadership, depth and late game impact when needed. And hope that one or more youth players such as Villarreal, McBean or Jamieson steps up. I'm OK with keeping Rowe as starter, but it wouldn't hurt to replace Kennedy with another GK for competition.

pastor repped this.
  24. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
  25. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Schweinsteiger (copy/paste) is the type of DP this team typically loves. Plus he's going to be on a free transfer after he comes to terms on a buyout. He might be injury prone but perhaps taking this much time off to allow his body to rest and heal might be good for him. After all he's only 32. We won't need him until March, so there's still time for him to get correct. However if his injuries are chronic then that's a different story.

You know Klein doesn't mind Schweinsteiger not playing, because he can always use his line about the player is a player that doesn't need to be scouted. Sign him, sight unseen.