Official: 2017 Rumor and Roster Moves Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ragbone, Nov 6, 2016.

1. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Maybe AEG could just offer a few mil to buy Atlanta's entire front office, coach and scouting department and replace ours? Despite our 20+ years experience, developmental Academy and LAG II development this first year expansion team already has surpassed our goal differential by 14 goals (-5 vs +9). And they've played one fewer games than we have. :(

Oops, never mind. As I was writing that they scored again, now surpassing our gd by 15 goals.

The LAG's current FO should just be called by their real name - "Confederacy of Dunces."

100fyers and Baysider repped this.
  2. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I think that your recollection is wilting and your dislike for Jones is making your analysis sloppy.

Keane publicly pointed out his displeasure at teammates from the time he joined the Galaxy in 2011 when Landon was Captain. Keane did not become Captain until 2013 when Landon went on a walkabout.

Yes, Zardes did talk about learning a lot from Robbie and Landon, but I don't recall him ever saying that he didn't mind it when it happened on the field. In fact, I seem to remember that in reference to practice. In any case what was he supposed to say. He was a newcomer and Robbie was the man

Finally, you don't remember games where Robbie disappeared? Sounds like selective memory to me.

3. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    He certainly was last night.

WarGalaxy repped this.
  4. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talk about damning with faint praise...

JPAR and ragbone repped this.
  5. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #2505 skydog, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
    Sources for the times Keane publicly threw his teammates under the bus?

And for your point about sometimes Robbie disappeared. I would pay millions for another "disappearing" player like Keane. His job was to score and create goals and he did that better than any other player in the history of MLS:*

Year GS G+A
    2011 3 3
    2012 28 25
    2013 22 27
    2014 28 33
    2015 22 28
    2016 16 12
    Total 119 128

Playoffs
    18 games started, 15 goals+assists

Robbies offensive output was simply amazing. Even last season when he missed a lot of games due to injuries I didn't see anyone note that his offensive output was still very good: 22pts (10 g, 2a) in 16 starts. Over 32 games that rate translates into 20 goals and 4 assists which would be a stellar season and likely significantly more than we get from any player we have this season, including Allesandrini.

People would bitch about Robbie when he went a few games w/o a goal. That just shows a basic lack of understanding of the built in streaky aspect of rare, probabilistic events like goal scoring. For example Messi himself - the best scorer in the history of soccer - just a week ago or so broke out of his own 6 game scoreless streak. You judge forwards at the end of the season - did they put up their share of points for your team? Robbie did that every season he put on a LAG uniform.

And yes I dislike Jones' personality but I'm objective about his play. On the plus side he is extremely athletic, highly competitive, offensive minded and almost every game he has some very good moments. On the negative side his technical skills are shaky, he is streaky in his play, and he is quite undisciplined positionally and temperamentally (to the point of volatility at times). He's the definition of a "mixed bag."

* With possible exception of Giovinco. They were always close and I haven't done the #'s lately.

barroldinho and Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  6. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even with a loss they still looked a more prepared and motivated football club. Very well organized pace on the counter and high pressing! But losing is part of football especially for expansion sides, for us it's unforgivable to look this inept.

skydog repped this.
  7. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    #2507 73Bruin, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
    Source? Did you not watch the Galaxy then? Did you miss Keane's actions (e.g. throwing his arms in the air or pointing) when Gyasi:
    • took the wrong run and interfered with what Robbie wanted to do
    • didn't pass Keane the ball exactly where he wanted
    • didn't get a shot on frame after what Keane thought was a perfect pass.
    And by the way, Gyasi wasn't the only target of Robbie critical actions.

Referencing Keane's excellent productivity doesn't refute my statement that he disappeared at times, it merely is a justification for not being upset about it. Your point was that Jones faded during games. I can't think of a single player who doesn't fade/disappear during games. Hell Landon could have scored 100 more goals for club and country and people would have still said that he disappeared at times.

If you had posted this originally, I probably wouldn't have responded as critically to your post. I think that he is somewhat of a mixed bag, but he is also, unfortunately, the closest to an attacking mid, currently available to the Galaxy. My personal sense is that Jones is very much a Sarvas like player, an 8 not a 6 or a 10. He can elevate a good team like he did in New England and Denver, but he isn't going to take the stink out of a pile.

8. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    A captain being demonstrative with his demands for improvement on the field isn't the same as throwing your teammates or coach under the bus in media interviews. Keane never did the latter - quite the opposite. Jones has.

Agree with the rest of your post.

9. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Has anyone seen a 2nd episode this season of Backstage: Galaxy?

Me neither... I wonder why?

The first episode entitled "New Direction" includes the Onalfo introduction and ends with the opener loss to FCD.

The Cadaver repped this.
  10. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    http://www.espnfc.com/portland-timb...more-pressure-than-la-galaxys-merritt-paulson

Portland Timbers coach under more pressure than LA Galaxy's - Paulson

Portland Timbers owner Merritt Paulson believes there's more pressure on the head coach of his club than on the head man of the LA Galaxy.

Portland won the franchise's first major trophy two seasons ago, beating Columbus Crew SC 2-1 in the MLS Cup final. However the Galaxy have established themselves as one of the most successful clubs in league history, lifting five MLS Cups, four Supporters' Shields and two U.S. Open Cups since beginning play in 1996.

The Galaxy have also counted on the likes of stars such as David Beckham, Robbie Keane, Landon Donovan and Steven Gerard over their successful history. However Paulson, speaking on ESPN FC's Max and Herc Podcast, said the interest from the local market in Portland makes the challenges of his club's coach unique.

"There's no question that the impact the LA Galaxy have had on this league has been immense. Marquee signings starting with David Beckham, then you look at the impact he's had," Paulson said. "But I'll tell you what: How much ink does the LA Galaxy get in the LA market, on the LA Times and the broader sports coverage? Certainly not more than the Portland Timbers get locally here.

"I'd argue you're under more of a microscope in the community of Portland. And Caleb Porter is more of a recognizable figure in the community of Portland as the head coach of the Portland Timbers than anybody who's coaching the LA Galaxy is as they walk in and around their community.

"Now look, you can slice and dice it multiple ways. That's a massive job. The team's been huge for the league but in my mind there's more pressure on the head coach of the Portland Timbers than there is on the head coach of the LA Galaxy. And that's something I'm not objective about but I certainly believe.

"Now that can be a good thing or that can be a bad thing but, and I was just with [Galaxy owner] Phil Anschutz just the other week at the owners meetings and let me tell you, he wants to win [...] and they have won, more than anybody else.

"And I'm certainly not implying there's not pressure that comes with an LA Galaxy head coaching gig but we sell out every game here, and we've got the waiting list and yeah, the city's not as big as LA but this is a pretty damn big coaching job right here."

Highlight:
    "I was just with [Galaxy owner] Phil Anschutz just the other week at the owners meetings and let me tell you, he wants to win"

I guess we'll see just how much he wants to win the longer Onolfo sticks around...

11. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I'm sorry but to me, Robbie was a petulant ass on the field. And, it wasn't limited to his actions relative to teammates. If there was a call he didn't like, he had no problem throwing a hissy fit no matter what was going on in the game. Why bother to help break up an attack, when you can demonstrate your outrage. And as the video tape showed, the ref wasn't always wrong.

And as for your claimed difference that comments made to the media are worse, I find his behavior worse. After all it's not like Robbie pointed it out in private. No, he did in front of the rest of the team, the media who were certainly watching as were the 20k plus fans in attendance and everyone watching on TV or a video stream.

And for the record, I do think that Jones threw Pedro under the bus just like Robbie did his teammates.

I have no problems throwing a coach under the bus. Coaches by their lineups and substitutions throw players under the bus all the time.

generaladmissision18 and ragbone repped this.
  12. bbbmmmlll

bbbmmmlll Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it's possible to throw someone under the bus on the field. Robbie bitches at everything and it's his way of pushing his teammates to be better or expressing his frustrations. He calls it passion and while it's not my favorite way to show passion, he's often correct nor is he absolving himself of any blame. Telling Zardes for the 89th time to pass to your feet is not "throwing Zardes under the bus", it's frustration.

skydog repped this.
  13. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015

Robbie was indeed, as we liked to say at Tottenham, a pointy-shouty-bloke, but that’s not an uncommon trait amongst footballers. You have your Ronaldos, Zidanes, Keanes, Ferdinands & Allis who will piss and moan you didn’t do what they wanted and then you have your Messis, Donovans, Zolas, Cienfeugoss, etc … who simply play and may have a quiet word with you afterward the match.

Robbie’s histrionics were wrong from time-to-time, and even I rolled my eyes, but he never crossed the line for me and he backed up his demanding expectations by scoring goals a plenty.

Jones on the other hand doesn’t have half the resume of Keane* yet all, if not more than, his arrogance and histrionics.

* Interesting side note: Jones has 43 goals total for club and country in his entire career. Keane had 83 for the Galaxy alone. Different positions and different expectations, but

14. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #2514 L.A. Native, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
    What did JJ say about Pedro?

I only really heard him talk about Gio(didn't name him) and making the final pass better and getting his head up and being aware of others instead of always going it alone and shooting.

15. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't think we can deny he's taken us in a new direction.

skydog, L.A. Native and TrickHog repped this.
  16. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Didn't he also make a thinly veiled allusion to the belief that JVD should stay back and leave offense to the attacking players?

Funny you should say that, JJ...

skydog and L.A. Native repped this.
  17. cliche_guevara

Jun 1, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Not sure if serious or just good ol' fashioned EPL bias. At his height Jones was one of the highest rated players in the Bundesliga and consistently played in continental competition. Keane played for Tottenham. Pretty similar resumes, actually.

I like that Jones and Keane expect(ed) more from their teammates. That's the way it should be.

Skevin, 73Bruin and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  18. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    100% serious.

19. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The plan is took spring board off the bottom of the table straight to the top!

hav77 and barroldinho repped this.
  20. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Galaxy interested in Carlos Vela?

http://www.lagconfidential.com/2017/5/2/15518308/carlos-vela-real-sociedad-in-talks-with-mls

21. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Did the Gignac rumour get mentioned yet?

I'm not sure what to make of these links to forwards. Right now, it feels like we're more struggling to work out how to combine the attacking pieces we already have. It's the defensive and midfield depth where I feel we're truly lacking options.

Now if we're looking to replace a forward, that could be more interesting.

Could the tenures of McBean and Jose Villarreal be coming to an end? Perhaps moving Zardes while he still has value?

22. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    any chance these rumors are a tactic to get Jonathon Dos Santos to come down on price? He's more of a fit of what we'd need, it might reinvigorate GDS, and it might get more people to the stadium. For now, flood the news with links to other players associated with the Mexican national team or league.

Hahaha sorry, just remembered Klein and Pete are in charge of this. In July we'll be watching Lampard pass the ball to Pedro.

23. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    That would be an upgrade … and I dislike Fat Frank

TrickHog repped this.
  24. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States