Official: 2016 Rumor and Roster Moves Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ragbone, Oct 29, 2015.

1. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You are correct - should have said Latino.

2. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    It's been like this the whole season. Every time AJ came in, he was good. The few times AJ-Van Damme played together, they looked great. I've said it multiple times of the last few seasons and I'll say it again, AJ is the best defender we have at the club. Van Damme is lucky and can use his size to bail himself out, but AJ needs to get the tackle right the first time, and he pretty much always does.

3. OC Galaxy Fans

Jul 30, 2009
    Placentia
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That just means that RM are guaranteeing themselves a big transfer fee. I'll be really surprised if he is actually there in 2021.

4. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    All the team really needs is a playing partner in the middle for Lleget (Maybe Sarvas?). If Donovan returns the team really does not need to spend a lot of money on a right mid/wing.

Seriously, the line up that was finally playing at the end could have won the cup had they stayed healthy. And I am perfectly fine with Rowe in goal. He made mistakes in only two games and bailed the team out a bunch.....

5. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I have nothing to back this up, other than a few stray observations, but I think there’s some love lost between AJ and Bruce. On at least two occasions last season there was some visible anger/disgust between the two during games. I wasn’t sure he’d make it to this season. He’s currently the 5th highest paid non-DP on the team, which is a lot for a benchwarmer. The Galaxy have a relatively expensive starting back four – $1 million for Rogers, Steres, Van Damme & Cole. Those 4 put up one of the best defensive records in the league this season. In a league where the salary cap plays such a large role AJ’s position with the team seems tenuous at this point. Considering Steres was solely responsible for the team losing 6 points and 3 of those went to Colorado maybe you can, but if there really is a rift between Bruce & AJ I’m not sure Arena will see it that way.

My gut says AJ will be left unprotected if Cole is signed through next season.

73Bruin and pastor repped this.
  6. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I agree with most of what you say and I agree Rowe's positives outweighed his negatives, plus he ended the season strong. But as far as # of mistakes I can remember 4 off the top of my head.

pastor repped this.
  7. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Bruce really has given up on AJ, why not trade him now? Someone out there will think he has value. Or protect him and trade him later if necessary. Although I know Bruce likes the strategy of giving players away...

skydog and Baysider repped this.
  8. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He could be this years' version of Sean Franklin. Atlanta or Minnesota would probably love to snatch him up in the draft.

9. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    That was my thinking too. Leave a highly regarded, albeit expensive, player available to attract the interest of other teams, save the other unprotected players, reduce your salary cap, minimal impact on the team. Alternatively maybe once the transfer window does open Bruce looks for a trade.

Again though my speculation is purely that, maybe AJ had a chronic injury that never quite healed enough for a regular starting position and/or like Gerrard/Keane, maybe the players who’d been starting for the last little while had made the case they should continue to.

10. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I am pretty sure almost every single club would love to snatch AJ up. He can play anywhere on the back line and was part of a record setting season when our defense conceded the least amount of goals in the regular season. Play AJ next to a big centerback and you have yourself a solid pairing.

Berks, King Koopa, galvanator and 2 others repped this.
  11. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Plus he's better than Franklin was.

12. footballfantatic

Mar 27, 2008
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need to make a change! I say we drop Keane, Gerrard and Cole if they don't take non-DP contracts. We need a YOUNGER DP(Mexican or South American and possibly pay it down to a non-DP contract) as a center mid and a known goal scorer(Rooney if we can afford it). We cannot rely on aging middys and forwards over a long season and playoffs. Also, Bruce is on the hot seat next season IMO.

Beakmon FC repped this.
  13. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    There are a couple of different reasons to keep AJDLG. First and foremost, both Rogers and Cole have a tendency to pick up frequent knocks that keep them out of multiple games in a row. With AJ as the third fullback, you don't lose too much. Second. while JVD may be the best CB in MLS from a defensive perspective, he obviously wanders a lot, most;y to the Galaxy's advantage. I would love to see AJ at the Defensive Mid position where he rotates back when JVD pushes forward.

AJ would also be a superior defender over Husidic who is neither quick or fast. I think, Husdic has some advantages that we have seen from the offensive side, (e.g. he does make some nice passes, but they are generally few and far between) and he is taller and IMO can defend secondary targets better on corners and set pieces.

14. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I'd really love it if we could get Diskerud. I honestly think he will be a very good player in this league and has just been frozen out of NYCFC unfairly.

15. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in the camp of letting Cole go. He turned out to be solid at the beginning of the season, but ended up fading in the summer a bit. He doesn't offer much going forward. He's a pretty smart player and can play beyond his diminished athleticism, albeit with emergency defending, and has compensated for Van Damme having basically no leash going forward, but he takes up an international slot and I think we could do better for his salary. Particularly as him being here contributes to keeping AJ out of the starting XI. He's going to be another step slower next year and I think it's time to say "thanks for the year you've given us, but we're going in a different direction".

Berks, Geneva, ProudNatRN and 1 other person repped this.
  16. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely agree. That's how I see it. BUT if Bruce does not see it that way, AJ is an awfully valuable asset to have him relegated to the bench all the time.

Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  17. generaladmissision18

Jul 29, 2011
    Highland park, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My feelings are that AJ, when he did play, had pretty subpar performances when he did play this season, by his standards. I remember him having a foot injury, maybe late last season or early this season, maybe that could account for his less than stellar performances.

18. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    When he played a CB position I thought he was great. He was so so as a back but certainly adequate.

19. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3469 The Beautiful Gamer, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    Ok this is what I would do if I were Bruce this pffseason,...

First 11 Expansion Draft
    Current Roster
    Emmanuel Boateng-Protect for the Expansion Draft

Ashley Cole-Protect for the Expansion Draft
    -Offer a 1 year deal with 2nd year option only at TAM money only

A.J. Delagarza-Protect for the Expansion Draft

Landon Donovan-Protect for the Expansion Draft
    -Offer a 1 year deal with 2nd year option only at TAM money only

Giovani dos Santos-Protect for the Expansion Draft

Robbie Keane-Protect for the Expansion Draft
    -Offer a 1 year deal with 2nd year option at lowest level DP or TAM money only

Sebastian Lletget-Protect for the Expansion Draft

Mike Magee-Protect for the Expansion Draft

Robbie Rogers-Protect for the Expansion Draft
    -Offer a 1 year deal with 2nd year option

Jelle Van Damme-Protect for the Expansion Draft
    -Offer him a 2 year extension

Gyasi Zardes -Protect for the Expansion Draft

Leave Unprotected
    Clement Diop
    Baggio Husidic
    Bradford Jamieson IV
    Ariel Lassiter
    Jack McBean
    Raul Mendiola
    Dave Romney
    Brian Rowe
    Oscar Sorto
    Daniel Steres
    Jose Villarreal
    Trade or Cut Even if Not Taken in Draft
    Dan Kennedy
    Leonardo
    Jeff Larentowicz
    Rafael Garcia

Retiring
    Steven Gerrard
    Alan Gordon

Sign 2 New DP's preferably midfielders if Keane doesn't take the TAM money

20. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay.

- Brian Rowe would be taken in a heartbeat if left unprotected after the season he just had.

- Oscar Sorto won't be taking a roster spot next season.

- Who said either Gerrard or Gordon are retiring?

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  21. The Beautiful Gamer

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3471 The Beautiful Gamer, Nov 7, 2016
    Gordon said he was going to retire midseason as did Gerrard. Gordon said he didn't want to be left unprotected due to this draft as he said it would mean he would end up elsewhere and he didn't want to leave LA at his age while raising kids. Plus he doesn't want the paycut. If both guys are starting to change their minds (and Gordo did leave the option open just in case) then I'd reconsider leaving Gordon unprotected. And Ashley Cole would be the odd man out. And if Row has to be saved then Magee is next man up for the unprotected.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/la-sp-galaxy-20160924-snap-story.html

22. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a bit confused at what your notes are. Are they below the player they apply to or above? It appears it's below but that means you want to offer Rogers a low level DP contract, want to offer Cole more money than he's currently getting ($300k?), offer a 4 year contract extension to a 33 year old CB?

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  23. The Beautiful Gamer

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3473 The Beautiful Gamer, Nov 7, 2016
    The note is for the player above it. And those are mistakes, especially about Rogers. I've fixed it now. thanks :D

24. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would protect Husidic. Underrated and important player. Robbie Keane is probably outta here. Also agree on protecting Rowe, although we still should be on the lookout for another GK. Magee is not a starter, Cole is too old to protect, would not protect them.

The Beautiful Gamer, Berks and Skevin repped this.
  25. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    No one is going to take Magee or Ashley Cole - and neither would really hurt us if they left.. Leave them both unprotected.
    You have to protect Brian Rowe, he had an overall a great year and will only get better with this years experience. He is also our best GK.