Official 2013-14 MISL Attendance Thread

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by bbwavefan, Nov 15, 2013.

1. The Stever

The Stever Member

Dec 4, 2003
    I believe you when you say he said they need a bit over 2,000 paid to break even.

I just don't believe that 2,000 is the number. It wasn't in the AISA back in 1988 either.

kenntomasch and Joey Tee repped this.
  2. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    MISL Attendance through 2/2/14:

Screen Shot 2014-02-03 at 8.47.01 AM.png

3. FifaMan328

FifaMan328 Member

Dec 5, 2008
    anyone feel like doing the quick math? Take out PA and the league isn't doing too bad (with these inflated # 's )

So even if St Louis is really averaging 5600, and only 1500 is paid and the rest are sponsorship tickets.. that is FINE as long as those sponsors keep coming back year after year and "paying" for those "freebies"

When sponsors start jumping ship ..... then you're screwed :)

4. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    Without PA, the league attendance average is 4,939.

5. Joey Tee

Joey Tee Member

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 12, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

magic number to achieve... Syracuse is in trouble

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If 5,000 is the magic number to achieve, no league has gotten there since the 2003-2004 MISL2.

And the only teams that are over 5,000 announced for the period 2001-2013 are Baltimore, Rochester, Milwaukee, Philadelphia, Monterrey and Dallas, and only three of those teams are still extant in the MISL.

7. Joey Tee

Joey Tee Member

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 12, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think, and it may just be me, that this "new" 6-7 k arena model is the only way to build a team around. And if you can't average 5, then it ain't working. Not saying 3500 or 4k might pay all the bills and get you in the black, but 5 would be the magic number to be very healthy. We may never ever see enough teams that can do that from year to year, but that is a good yard marker...

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it would be great to get to 5,000.

I'm just sayin', hardly anybody ever gets there.

I do agree with you, that Missouri-sized arenas would be tremendous. Not a lot of those are getting built, though. And even the one in Wichita wasn't a panacea, because they couldn't make it there.

Joey Tee repped this.
  9. Quayle

Quayle Member

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Great. So the Ambush owner is either bad at math or lacks the knowledge to run a business.

10. Wave Fan

Wave Fan Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Club:
    Charlotte Eagles
    So quick question, if 4K isn't considered good enough, then why don't I ever hear about the Comet's having trouble. Is it that they have so much sponsorship money coming in?

The other question I have is are these figures based on last year's MISL model or this years because everything I heard in the off season was that player salaries were being cut which is why so many star players didn't sign on until late in the off season. Isn't that why Millwood went to Syracuse, Lookingland singed so late in Baltimore and Bennett signed so late in Milwaukee because they weren't getting the offers they wanted? Is the 5K still valid if the teams are truly cutting salaries across the board to make themselves more viable?

StormFire repped this.
  11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's certainly got the expense side of the equation down.

These are all imprecise metrics, first off, and they don't hold true for each and every club. People always try to gauge the general health of a franchise based on its announced attendance numbers (because we don't get drop counts or revenue numbers), but it's basically guesswork.

At the end of the day, average attendance matters less than revenue in versus revenue out. No one (except Bart Wolstein, I believe) has ever closed down a franchise despite it making money, and no one dumps a franchise that's making too big a profit. We don't get revenue numbers and expense numbers, so people extrapolate based on the numbers we do get.

Now, if at either extreme end of the spectrum, the generalizations we can draw are probably closer to accurate. If a club is getting 600 or 1,000 a game or if they're getting 7,000 a game (if it's not just on paper), it's a little easier to say the former club is in dire straits and the latter is probably better off.

It's the folks in the middle that are harder to tell about.

You know that old joke, "How do you know if a Deadhead has been in your house? He's still there."

Just like you know if a TV show is getting watched and making money if it stays on the air, a soccer team that sticks around either is doing okay financially ("okay" having different definitions in different circumstances) or there's something else going on that we're unaware of.

Again, see above. If teams are sticking around at less than 5k, they've had to do something on the expense side. Whether that means busing 900 miles or cutting player costs or having skeleton crews in the front office (or all of those and more), it's very likely the equation is different.

How different? We don't know. We don't have any hard information on salaries or expense or drop counts or gameday revenue. We're all just guessing.

We are fairly certain PASL teams have lower overhead (and that the budgetary issues were one - but not the only - of the issues that kiboshed the merger), but we're kind of in the dark there, too.

TLDR: A lot of it is conjecture. But if a team sticks around, they must be doing something right.

PepsiAddict and Joey Tee repped this.
  12. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    MISL, Thursday, Feb. 6th, 2014

St. Louis - 3,247

kenntomasch repped this.
  13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. Been looking for that one.

If you're curious:

Pre-January 1 average: 4,454
    January 1 - post average: 4,452

:)

Scooge repped this.
  14. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    MISL, Friday, Feb 7th, 2014

Syracuse - 2,369

15. The Stever

The Stever Member

Dec 4, 2003
    Two words: Uh-oh.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Their 2,784 average this year is the lowest of their three seasons.

17. EnricoSharke

EnricoSharke Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has weather been a factor? Seems the northeast has been getting more snow and cold this year than normal. Still, it's very worrisome.

18. Joey Tee

Joey Tee Member

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 12, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fully expect that Tommy and his band of merry men are going to pull out...this experiment has gone long enough and not enough people are going there. They will fold or be convinced to try one more season with some "urging"

19. bbwavefan

bbwavefan Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunday 2/16 Attendance:
    -Milwaukee @ Rochester - 8,212
    -Baltimore @ Missouri- 4,206

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team averages with one game missing and 16 to play:

Rochester.....7,241
    Baltimore.....5,825
    St. Louis.....5,347
    Milwaukee.....5,006
    Missouri......4,137
    Syracuse......2,784
    Pennsylvania..1,495
    LEAGUE........4,480

The league projects (based on games remaining and current averages) to around 4,500 for a final average, which would be ahead of last year and the highest since The Split.

21. bbwavefan

bbwavefan Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2/14 - Missouri (3,520)
    2/15 - Rochester (8,524)

Scooge repped this.
  22. Joey Tee

Joey Tee Member

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 12, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not bad dad

23. Wave Fan

Wave Fan Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Club:
    Charlotte Eagles
    From what I've been reading from friends and fellow season ticket holders would not be shocked to see a smaller than normal crowd in Milwaukee today. They play 4 home games in the next 3 weeks and this game should be a snoozer if all things play out as they should. Not making excuses, just my thoughts going into the game.

24. bbwavefan

bbwavefan Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not too much smaller than normal. Somewhere ~5,000 I'd guess. If this is now a subpar crowd, I'm perfectly okay with that. ;)

25. bbwavefan

bbwavefan Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha! 5,028 this afternoon in Milwaukee. I'm pretty good :p