Official 2004 J.League Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Japanese Club Football' started by LiveinYokohama, Nov 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
  2. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Great stuff. It's always nice too see even the not-so-good teams get good support. It's "easy" to like teams when they're on top.

3. LiveinYokohama

LiveinYokohama New Member

Dec 1, 2001
    The supporter of URAWA and F.TOKYO often does the same thing. Although it is interesting, it wants without making others trouble.

4. LiveinYokohama

Dec 1, 2001
    J1 2nd stage Round 14

Round 14 result
    SENDAI 0-4 YOKOHAMA.M
    IWATA 2-1 G.OSAKA
    NAGOYA 4-1 URAWA
    F.TOKYO 1-1 TOKYO.V
    KYOTO 0-2 KOBE
    KASHIMA 2-1 KASHIWA
    ICHIHARA 1-1 OITA
    C.OSAKA 5-1 SHIMIZU

2nd stage Ranking table (Round14)
    1.IWATA-----26
    2.KASHIMA-----24
    3.YOKOHAMA.M-----23
    4.ICHIHARA-----23
    5.URAWA-----22
    6.NAGOYA-----22
    7.F.TOKYO-----21
    8.TOKYO.V-----21
    9.G.OSAKA-----20
    10.SHIMIZU-----18
    11.KASHIWA-----16
    12.KOBE-----14
    13.KYOTO-----13
    14.C.OSAKA-----12
    15.SENDAI-----11
    16.OITA-----10

The teams with the possibility of 2nd stage champion are IWATA, KASHIMA, YOKOHAMA.M, and ICHIHARA.

5. LiveinYokohama

Dec 1, 2001
    KUSATSU goes to JFL !

THESPA KUSATSU was promoted to JFL(3rd division league) today.
    KUSATSU is the popular hot spring resort of GUNMA Prefecture.
    Since the small team of a small town aims at J.League, it attracts soccerfun's attention.
    Although there are several professional players, many of players are amateur player. They are working at the local hotel.
    If it will go into a higher rank by JFL next year, it can be promoted to J2.

Official HP
    http://www.thespa.co.jp/

6. mmatheso

mmatheso New Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Oregon
    relegation clarification

I'm seeking a little clarification in terms of the J-1 relegation battle.

1) Do they still award 2 points for an overtime win?

2) If two teams are tied on points in the table, is the first tie-breaker goal differential (using combined table from both legs) ?

I'm rooting for Oita, and just trying to figure out what happens if Sendai wins in OT.

7. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Re: relegation clarification

1) There's no more overtime in J-League beginning this season.

2) Yes, the first tie breaker is the goal differential. So Kyoto's chances for avoiding the drop is extremely slim.

8. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Re: KUSATSU goes to JFL !

I think your understanding of the JFL is a bit incorrect. Thespa Kusatsu was already a member of the JFL so when you say it was "promoted to the JFL" it is a bit misleading. The JFL has regional divisions all over the country, as well as one "nationwide division" which is the top division above all the regional divisions. Kusatsu was a part of the Kanto League until this year, and since it won the Kanto League for the third straight season, it was promoted to the nationwide division.

As for winning promotion to J2, the rules of the JFL state that a team must be in the nationwide division, and achieve a high level finish for at least two consecutive years before it can be promoted (it also needs to fulfill various rules for total capital, size of the stadium, financial support, etc.) So the earliest that Kusatsu could be promoted would be at the end of 2005.

Since the league will be reorganised in 2005, the rules might be changed. I dont know how it will work, yet, but my guess is they will probably keep the rule about two years before you can advance to the J2.

9. LiveinYokohama

Dec 1, 2001
    Re: Re: KUSATSU goes to JFL !

>Matsu
    so u de su ka ? Ummm...
    When going to J2 from JFL, I think that "promoted to J2 from JFL" is a mistake. Because, they are separate organizations.
    But JFL and the regional league are vertical relations. Therefore, I think that "promoted to JFL from KANTO-league" is right.

10. LiveinYokohama

Dec 1, 2001
    J-league will be 38teams.

KAWABUCHI of JFA Chairman said that he increase J.League to 38 teams within ten years. J1 is 18teams, J2 is 20teams.
    http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/hochi/soccer/nov/o20031124_70.htm

I think that this is a good proposal. When soccer population and a market scale of Japan are taken into consideration, this number of teams is best.

11. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Re: Re: Re: KUSATSU goes to JFL !

Keep studying. Your English is already very good, and misunderstanding a minor point like this is not surprising.

It would be correct to say "promoted to J2 from JFL". The reason is exactly BECAUSE they are separate organizations. You can be promoted from one thing to another thing. For example, you can be promoted from Sergeant to Lieutenant. However, you cannot be promoted from Sergeant to Sergeant.

The Kanto league is ALREADY JFL. So how can you be promoted from JFL to JFL?
    The correct way to say it would be "promoted from the JFL Kanto League to the JFL nationwide division." (or just leave out the "JFL" and say "promoted from the Kanto League to the nationwide division.").

I know that in Japanese, the newspapers say "promoted to JFL". However, as you and I both know, Japanese is a logically imprecise language. In English, saying "promoted to JFL" for a team that was ALREADY IN the JFL, is illogical.

12. LiveinYokohama

Dec 1, 2001
    Re: Re: Re: Re: KUSATSU goes to JFL !

>Matsu
    You think that KANTO-league is a part of JFL.
    But I think that KANTO-league is not a part of JFL, and JFL is only an amateur's top league.
    Please look at JFA official HP.
    JFL doesn't include 9 regional league and 47 prefectural leagues.

13. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Re: J-league will be 38teams.

What an improvement. When I was just 5 (1993), I remember J. League started with only 10 clubs.

By the way, I used to live in Tokyo and hated Veldy Kawasaki (now it's called Tokyo Veldy, right?). I was always a fan of Kashima Antlers.

Just in 11 years, they already have two divisions with total of 28 teams. Then they will expand 10 more clubs in just 10 years. Absolutely incredible.

I really believe that in my lifetime, Japan will be top 10 in the FIFA Coca-Cola World Ranking.

In other hand, MLS (United States) started with 10 teams in 1996 and still has 10 teams.
    But also I cannot forget the fact that soccer is not popular in the US.

14. ACkenji

ACkenji Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Now, there is a several teams club which aims at J.League.

OTSUKA SEIYAKU which is a JFL champion this year began to walk aiming at promotion in J2 league in 2005.

Although EHIME FC of the 3rd place of JFL aimed at J2 promotion, since finances were insufficient, they gave up. However, they aim at J2 promotion the year after next.

THESPA KUSATSU which will participate in JFL for the first time next year has many famous players (in Japan), and they also aim at the J.League promotion in 2005.

There are some clubs which are aiming at the J.League participation besides these teams. They are OkinawaKARIYUSHI, ShizuokaFC, FC Ryukyu, VOLCA Kagoshima, Alouette Kumamoto FC, SC ToTTori, TochigiSC, Gunma FC horikoshi, and Oumi FC Taiken. It is clear that some new J.League clubs are born in the near future.

15. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Guys, there are some important games for some clubs.

J1 2nd Stage Table (Before the season finale)
    Team Pts GD
    -------------------------------------------------
    1. Jubilo Iwata 26 6
    2. Kashima Antlers 24 2
    3. Yokohama F Marinos 23 9
    4. JEF United Ichihara 23 4

Season finale for these clubs
    Yokohama F Marinos vs Jublio Iwata
    Kashima Antlers vs Urawa Reds
    Tokyo Veldy vs JEF United Ichihara

Some clubs are in trouble:
    J1 YEAR-LONG* Table (Before the season finale)
    Team Pts GD
    -------------------------------------------------
    14. Oita Trinita 25 negative10
    15. Vegalta Sendai 23 negative25
    16. Kyoto Purple Sanga 23 negaive28

Season finale for these clubs
    Oita Trinita vs Vegalta Sendai
    Kyoto Purple Sanga vs Gamba Osaka

*Includes both 1st and 2nd Stages

16. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MARINOS=ICHIBAN!!!!!!!!!!

They truly lived up to their slogan for the year i.e. Go The Distance!!!!!!

[​IMG]

17. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Damn it. Kashima was just one goal away from winning the 2nd Stage.
    [​IMG]

It looks like Yokohama F Marinos doubled the both stages just like Jubilo did last year. Congratulations! Yokohama Marinos becames the 11th J. League Champion and there will no Santory Championship (did I spell that right? I mean for some of these I know how to write in Japanese, but I don't know how to spell in English).

Also Kyoto and Sendai dropped to J2.

18. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Bad - no Championship Series.

Good - YOKOHAMA WRESTED THE TITLE AWAY FROM THE JUBILO-KASHIMA DUOPOLY!!

YEAH!

OMG, I just read the recap on Matsu's site, Yokohama won the title with 10 men and in the last minute, with Kubo's winner, and Emerson's equalizer in the Urawa-Kashima game.

19. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Matsu's site? can i have the link.

Never mind, I got it.
    Damn. Matsu you are awesome!

20. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Illinois, but Japan
    Club:
    Jubilo Iwata
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    thought Jubilo didnt win the title, I am still glad that the stupid Kashima Antlers didn't win!

Congrats Yokohama! You better perfrom well in the Asian Champions League

21. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    When does the next Asian Champions league starts. I guess they are qualified for A3 Championship too.

I was wondering if Kashima will qualify for A3 too. I mean they are the defending Champ.

22. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    On the other end of the table, Sanga dropping down to J2 is just sad. This team was mid-table last year and won the Emperor's Cup.

23. LiveinYokohama

Dec 1, 2001
    YOKOHAMA.M won !

YOKOHAMA.M beat IWATA 2-1. KAHIMA and URAWA are a draw.
    Therefore YOKOHAMA.M became the 1st stage and 2nd stage Champions.
    It became the league champion after a long time. I'm very glad.
    But the Suntory championship is not performed. The fan wants to see many games more. and the income of the club decreases. I am somewhat regretful.

24. LiveinYokohama

Dec 1, 2001
    Re: Re: J-league will be 38teams.

>shuvy87
    I think that J-league can increase 38 teams within ten years.
    When J2 was established, many teams joined J-League at once by the action plan.
    The teams that join J-league next year may be only OTSUKA FC.
    However, many teams are preparing in JFL or the regional league now.

The next ACL will start in February 2004.
    The teams which join from Japan are IWATA(2003 J-league champion) and YOKOHAMA(2004 J-league champion).
    The next A3 will start in Shanghai in February 2004.
    The teams which join from Japan are YOKOHAMA(2004 J-league champion).

YOKOHAMA.M is busy next year.

25. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Crap, Vegalta was *so* bad when I was in Japan ('99) I never ever thought they'd get promoted to J1 anytime soon. So to see them go down again is just sad. :-( Hopefully they'll get promoted again soon, but, they seem pretty punchless these days.

GO! Ikuze Sendai!

-Adam