Offensive help from the A-League?

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by DLite, Jul 28, 2002.

1. DLite

DLite New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Santa Ana ,CA
    Why hasn't McKinley Tennyson been called up from Portland? He has been on a tear, scoring 8 goals in 5 games.

One of the team's deficiencies has been the inability to find someone to pair up with Ruiz. Tennyson played all of preseason with the team, so he is familiar with the system that Sigi likes to employ. Also, he is on one of our A-League affiliates which means we could bring him in at no cost. The only reason that McKinley isn't on the team is because he would not accept a developmental contract; not because he lacks in ability.

While on the subject I would like to note that Brian Ching is the leading scorer for the A-League. He plays with Seattle our other A-League affiliate. Maybe we could bring him back in to see how much he has improved.

2. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure I heard that Tennyson was offered a Developmental Contract but turned it down. I've been following both him and Ching this season and they are having a good year. Looks like they were victims of the roster limits.

3. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Waldo was at the RB last night. Said he is "still Galaxy property" - never came to terms with Charleston. Sounds like he wants back. Does that count as help from the A League?

4. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is Waldo still Galaxy property?

5. NICDT Coach

NICDT Coach Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Cd'A, Idaho
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what we gave up to get him, but we did aquire his rights from Chicago. Then he went to the A-League for more money, and at his age I really don't blame him.

6. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Send him to the Blue Star! He does have experience and expertise, but I would concentrate on our young forwards.

7. Gooner

Gooner New Member

Dec 23, 2000
    Soccer City
    I would rather have Tennyson, Ching or even Waldo than Chris Albright on our side.

8. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can he be G property? He refused his MLS contract and actually appeared in regular season Battery games. The only games he played for the G's were friendlies.

He's a local boy who lives here. That's the only reason he's around (or at least my best guess)

9. ProudNatRN

ProudNatRN Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jun 10, 2002
    Norwalk, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, ever since I was a freshman here at UCLA and saw McKinley Tennyson AND Shaun Tsakiris play out their senior seasons, I knew they had the potential to be the next couple of quality former Bruins (Jones, Victorine, Vagenas, etc.). I have absolutely no idea why neither of them is on the Galaxy team, I mean, these fools have MAD SKILLZ! You should see Tsakiris out of the midfield, great dribbling, tough, quick, and a killer left foot. And Tennyson? He's exactly what the Galaxy needs, a big, skilled, fast target man up top to balance out Ruiz and take a big load of the defensive pressure off of Ruiz. I thought Sasha could be that type of player (see Game 3 vs. Metros in 2001 playoffs), but I guess Sigi thought someone like Moreno or Albright could do better, what a dumbass. Anyway, I say invest in these quality young American players, screw looking elsewhere. I mean, why does the coaching staff insist so ignorantly when the potential answers to the Galaxy's problems were only a drive to UCLA away?

StatesideSoccer repped this.
  10. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like Seth George?

11. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tsakiris is on the Blue Star team, and Tennyson refused a contract with the Galaxy after being drafted. Tsakiris was in preseason training camp.

The Galaxy's obviously already looked at both.

12. ProudNatRN

ProudNatRN Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jun 10, 2002
    Norwalk, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For PZ and Elninho, yeah everyone knows Seth George blew when he played for the Galaxy, but then again, you should also know that college success doesn't always equal success in the professional ranks. I wasn't at UCLA when George played here, but I'm sure he had an outstanding cast around him that made it easier for him to score or whatever he did to garner so much attention. All I know is that Tennyson and Tsakiris rocked every time I saw them play, to me it always looked like they were a cut above everyone else, players of a different caliber, looking for more of a challenge. So my comment comes as a result of actually seeing them play over the course of the 2000 season, nothing more. Now, if Sigi and Co. did take a look at both players and thought they sucked a$$, then whatever, as a mere fan I have to respect his decisions. But come on, Chi Bardales, Jesus Ochoa, Craig Waibel, Alex Bengard and all those other lamers still on the team, please, justify their still being there. I know we can get better role players than that, like the aforementioned two.

13. westcoast ape

westcoast ape Member+

Nov 27, 2000
    Portland, OR
    The idea of a "big target forward" next to Ruiz just doesn't work. Ruiz is a target forward, he's just not big. Just look at it, almost all of his goals come off his first touch, sent in to him off a through-pass or a cross.

Having two players like that would crowd the goal area with defenders. That's why we play a 4-3-3 with two wide forwards, Cobi and whoever else, providing service from the deep wings.

14. DLite

DLite New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Santa Ana ,CA
    Don't mean to beat a dead horse, but Tennyson had another two goal performance last night. That makes it 12 goals in 7 games, two goals behind league leader Brian Ching who added another tonight. If Portland doesn't make it to the A-League playoffs the Galaxy should try to incorporate him into our team with an eye on using him for the MLS playoffs. The concern is when is the deadline for submition of playoff rosters is and whether we could add Tennyson for that purpose at all.

15. DLite

DLite New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Santa Ana ,CA

What would you consider Chris Albright to be? Is he a "Target Forward" or a winger? Sigi feels that Chris is the right guy to partner with Ruiz according to the Pan-Galactic View by Llew Llewellyn:
    --------------------------------------------------
    ALBRIGHT STILL OUT

Still first choice for Sigi Schmid on the left side of the offense to partner Carlos Ruiz, Chris Albright is struggling to overcome the hamstring injury suffered July 20 against Kansas City.
    --------------------------------------------------

I believe Albright is a target forward, if Sigi seems to think that he and Carlos can play together then I think the same would apply to McKinley Tennyson if he were in the fold.

16. Gooner

Gooner New Member

Dec 23, 2000
    Soccer City
    The position I most like seeing Albright in is Left Out. He has played this position for the last several games and it has worked in the Galaxy's favor.

Donkey.

17. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word up! This position he's playing is definitely doing wonders for him and the team. He should always start in this slot. Perhaps we could send him to the Blue Star and call up someone, like this Tenneyson character.

18. Baracuda

Baracuda Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Portland Oregon
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tennyson

He isn't signed by LA, he's signed by Portland. As far as I know it's not just a matter of calling him up.
    The Timbers are not a triple A team for the Galaxy, but a seperate lower division team all together.
    The Timbers are in a playoff race of their own at the moment and cannot afford to just give him to LA just because thay are the Major Leagues.
    The Timbers have been loaned players by the Galaxy and San Jose. We love Jesus Ochoa (who played in Portland last year). Portlands goal keeper gets loaned to back up MLS keepers regularly.

I hope he does well for you guys.

19. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His MLS rights to kei are held by LA. His deal with Portland is only til the end of the season. Basically, if Sigi wants him, and Kei is wants to step up, he's ours.

20. Baracuda

Baracuda Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Portland Oregon
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly! he's yours "after" the A-League season.
    What I was saying is that you can't just call him up whenever you want to like the Timbers are LA's triple A team.

Anyway he's Freaking great, he causes all sorts of problems for defenders because of his size and speed. He's great in the air and has great touch around the net. I also think he is a better passer than some have said, and is creative with the ball at his feet.
    Remember, he wasn't scoring in the beginning of the season, and has scored almost all of his goals in the last nine games or so (17), and he is still the leading goal scorer in the league!
    I just hope he gets signifcant minutes with the Galaxy!