OFF TOPIC The olympics..

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Lanesra, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Lanesra

Lanesra BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 13, 2003
    LONDON
    Just been anounced London will host the 2012 olympics ..Fantastic

2. BorzUSA

BorzUSA New Member

Feb 8, 2005
    New York
    Congrats to those Gooners in London that get to have the '12 Olympics in their home city. I knew my hometown(NYC) didnt have much of a chance against Paris and London - but I am glad to see London win the games over Paris, it will be a great games with many of the sports played in historic venues.

Congrats London and England!

3. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    I second that. I'm extremely happy that London pulled off the upset. It's a fantastic city and will be a great host for the Olympics. I would only hope that part of your proposal was to push back closing time at the pubs from 11 pm during the week and midnight on weekends to the more typical 2 am at least. I'll need somewhere to go after the games!

4. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's going to be cool to have the Olympics here. Hopefully, Arsenal can push to have Asburton Grove included as a venue for the football tournament.

5. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    I was just about to ask that. What's the deal on the stadiums? I realize Wembley is the main centerpiece, but are they building a new one or just using the existing ones?

6. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    I'm glad that London won. The people there seemed alot friendlier than Paris when I visited them both years ago. Congrats to London and England! I had a great time when the Olympics were here in Atlanta, though I am still surprised that Atlanta was ever awarded the games.

7. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm not sure if you mean stadiums in general or just for the football tournament. The main centrepiece of the games is going to be a new purpose-built 80,000 seater stadium in the Stratford area of East London. Several other buildings will be there for various sports as well as the athlete's village. Wembley will host the final of the football tournament. I've heard that the football games prior to the final will be spread around the country, but I don't know if the actual stadiums to be used have been finalised yet. If not, David Dein should be on the blower to Seb Coe right about now!

8. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coca-Cola.

9. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Congratulations to England, but this is a complete disaster for Scotland. We will not only be forced to pay for it, but we will lose out on valuable funding and the end result will be to put Glasgow's proposed bid for the Commenwealth Games in jeopardy. I'm not happy with this at all. :( :mad:

10. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    unlucky scot. but you aren't as upset as the french are today, did you see the reaction when the result was called out!?

that was fucking poetry in motion..!

:D

11. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216412&page=1&pp=15

ROFL! :D

12. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Moan, whinge, blah, blah. No-one give a toss about the Commonwealth Games. The difference between hosting that and the Olympics is like the difference between hosting the Scottish League Cup final and the World Cup final.

13. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    If you want the Olympics, then I have no problem with that at all. What I do have a problem with is having to pay for something that is to the direct benefit of English sport and the direct detriment of Scottish sport. It's not that difficult to understand. :rolleyes:

14. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Let me be in the minority here and say that I don't think London deserved the Olympics. And I also bet in five years or so there will be plenty of Londoners who will end up cursing this decision. I for one won't be going to London during those Olympics... I already cant get on the tube as it is.

Paris had the best bid (beach volleyball under the Eiffel Tower anyone?), and I think there was some obvious anti-French bias that went into the voting...

Congratulations nonetheless to our English friends... London was at least a better choice than New York

15. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You mean kind of like the look that English football fans get every time their team crashes out of an international football tournament... that is also fucking poetry in motion... ;)

16. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I understand perfectly and I don't buy this "we'll be forced to pay for it" rubbish. That's like saying I don't want to pay for whatever the government decides to spend money on in Scotland because I don't live there. Fact is, the better deal for the country is to have the Olympics in London than the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow because whatever small scraps Scotland might pick up from having the games here in 2012, there's absolutely nothing the rest of the country will get out of having Glasgow host the Commonwealth Games. It's not that hard to understand is it?

17. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Of course they did, but they are F*****. They are used to defeat. :D

18. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    Thank the spaniards for that. But the english can offer something the french can't.....PASSION.

Oi, cheeky git!

19. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    You have missed the boat completely.

Taxes, lottery funding and additional funding will be diverted to London. Quite a lot of these revenue streams will be diverted from other sport, Scottish in particular. Therefore England and their athletes will be getting the benefit and facilities, yet Scottish athletes will be completely left behind and have their funding reduced. This will directly jeopardise our proposed bid for the Commonwealth Games and will be to the detrement of Scottish sport for quite some time. This is yet another example of Scotland being forced to pay for something that only benefits England. You can say what you want about me and mention bitterness/chips all you want, but that is the truth. The fact that quite a few posters have said that it is great for "England" only serves to highlight this view.

20. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The French did themselves in when some analysts said Paris was sure to win because the food in England was only marginally better than the worst food in Europe, that made/served by the Finish... of the last 3 votes on the selection pannel - either 1 or 2 of the panelists were Finish... LOL!

21. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to London. And thank you for not letting New York get it.

22. The Grimster

The Grimster Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Edmonton
    Tough mate! That's what you get when your country is owned by another!

23. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What total and utter bollocks.

Why would funds be diverted from Scottish atheletes "in particular"? If a Scottish athelete is Olympic standard in their sport I'm sure they will be funded as much as anyone else in the country in order to compete. It's not as if we have a glut of Olympic standard atheletes is it?

Yes, a new Olympic stadium will be built, but what's the difference between that and building a stadium for Glasgow to host the Commonwealth Games? It's OK for me to subsidise that, as "taxes, lottery funding and additional funding" would have been needed to do that, but you're moaning about having the mother of all sporting events in the country as opposed to some tin-pot games that no-one gives two hoots about.

I would say that you're the one missing the boat as you fail to see the bigger picture, that is, that an Olympic Games wherever it is in this country is far more beneficial than the Commonwealth Games. Yes, the only way to get the Olympics here is to host it in London as other British cities wouldn't even be considered, but that's life, deal with it.

24. The Grimster

The Grimster Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Edmonton
    The shooting events will take place at the Royal Artillery Barracks in Woolwich. Work on the barracks started in 1776 and we all know what happened there in 1886!!

;)

25. Detlef

Detlef Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the Olympic Stadium is going to be built in Stratford in the East End. How bad of a neighborhood is it? Can this help revitalize the neighborhood?

I looked at the map, Stratford is E15 with the Stratford tube & rail stop. What will become of the Olympic Stadium after 2012? Could this be the future home of West Ham? or Dagenham & Redbridge? :D I excluded Leyton Orient since the Matchroom Stadium is getting renovated now.