Off-Topic : Negadelphia Mega-Thread

Discussion in 'Sons of Ben' started by SideshowBob, Mar 27, 2007.

1. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: MLS to announce new "competition initiatives" Monday April 2nd at 1:30 on mlsnet.com

Well, I just suggesting a cautious approach as the alternative is likely a set up for dissapointment. And if there's anything that Philly fans know, it's disappointment....

That said, I want to clarify -- I live in DC and follow DCU, but I was born and bred in Philly and would root for any Philly team over one in DC (as I do in other sports).

2. skyscraper

skyscraper Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: MLS to announce new "competition initiatives" Monday April 2nd at 1:30 on mlsnet.com

when their team is hoisting a championship trophy. so that's about 5 times a century, if you include all teams currently residing here.
    10 times if you count the A's.

3. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Anybody feel like Sisyphus?

I think I can see the top of the mountain. Hopefully the rock won't go rolling away this time.

4. CrazyUnionBox

CrazyUnionBox Member

Mar 14, 2007
    137 Seat 1
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Come on we are in philadelphia... there should be no optimism.

It is like saying the eagles will actually spend money on a player... the Sixers would have been able to find a player to play with iverson... DO you think we will ever really win another championship???

ALL ideas of a philadelphia fan that will never be realized... Just wait and see and hopefully we will finally be surprised. :)

5. skyscraper

skyscraper Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

it's this kind of crap that I can't stand. I can't wait until we do get a team so we can stop this boo-hooing. "Oh, we're in Philadelphia, we can't do anything right." even as a joke, which I know you meant it as, it gets tiresome.
    of course, when we do get a team, we'll whine about how bad they are...

6. OKTerrific

OKTerrific Member

Sep 10, 2005
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Skyscraper, your spirit is admirable.

However, you know as well as any of us that being a Philadelphia fan is like waking up every day with two strikes against you. We're negative as a default reaction for a reason. It didn't just happen.

7. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For example, skyscraper...

Poll the people in your office about how the Phillies will do this year. Nobody will say losing record, but more people will say miss the playoffs by one game than say make the playoffs.

8. CrazyUnionBox

CrazyUnionBox Member

Mar 14, 2007
    137 Seat 1
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well aren't they going to miss it by one this year... AGAIN :)

9. OKTerrific

OKTerrific Member

Sep 10, 2005
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yes.

We're like beaten wives. We keep going back expecting them to change.

They never do.

10. skyscraper

skyscraper Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't buy it. there's no reason to believe that. I am a much bigger baseball fan than a soccer fan, and even watching the phillies for my 37 years on this earth, I watch every game believing they can win. no reason not to. people who think negatively like that are just afraid that if the team they are watching lose, it makes them losers too. I don't attach my ego to a team or a sport, I just enjoy.

11. CrazyUnionBox

CrazyUnionBox Member

Mar 14, 2007
    137 Seat 1
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well at least he can remember the last philadlephia championship.

12. skyscraper

skyscraper Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

there are 7 people in my office. one is from Poland, one is from Korea, and I don't think either of them has ever seen 9 full innings. my boss is a baseball fan, and maybe one other guy, so it's not really a statistically significant sample (sss!) but even if it were, it means nothing. I understand that people are that negative, I just don't understand why. And I refuse to get on that bandwagon.

13. OKTerrific

OKTerrific Member

Sep 10, 2005
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am too a bigger baseball fan than soccer fan. I don't in any way think that a losing team makes me a loser. I KNOW I'm a loser anyway. At least if I had a winning team I would be less of a loser.

No one is saying that we don't go into every game thinking we could win. Why else would you watch? We just know that in September when it counts, it never seems to get done.

It's not an ego thing, it's just a fact.

14. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not saying get on the negative bandwagon, I think it's great that you aren't. I just have to temper my enthusiasm. Me and the three other officers of PPSF and the two other founders (elders) of Sons of Ben have put a lot of time in. To even get a sniff of it potentially coming true is magnificient. I just hope it's more than a sniff this time.

15. skyscraper

skyscraper Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

if you're not old enough to remember that, you absolutely have no reason to be the typical negative philadelphia sports fan.

16. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wouldn't that make you more negative?

I was too young to remember the Sixers in '83...I've seen each of my teams make the finals in their respective sports and lose. How should this make me more positive?

17. skyscraper

skyscraper Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

At least you have never tasted victory, and then spent decades waiting to taste it again. "it is better to have [won a championship and then wait a really really long time to win another one]...than never to have [won] at all."
    I'm paraphrasing of course.
    and F you for being so young. I had just graduated 8th grade when the sixers won, but not being a basketball fan I really didn't care that much. my one real memory of victory was the phillies in 1980. I was too young to remember much about the flyers in the 1970s, although I do remember my dad yelling at them on tv when I was trying to sleep.

18. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for making my point for me.

19. SteveDietrich

SteveDietrich Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Section 135

After 24 years of waiting, I'm going to have to disagree. I've seen everyone of my teams make it to the big game in my lifetime, and everyone of them fell just short of the final prize. I just want a championship.... Please, God, just give me a championship.

There hasn't been a Philadelphia championship since 1983. I was born in 1983. I'm the freaking curse.

20. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If this balloon had hope written on it...

[​IMG]

21. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Another April, another 1-5 start.

22. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

^^ i think someone's posted in the wrong thread.

:rolleyes:

what's that gotta do with 'competitive initiatives'??? ;)

23. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Half of this thread went to the whole negadelphian thing so I moved it to it's own thread.

24. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

careful, some people despise that word. :p