off topic I'm going to Ireland for 5 days

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by jayro75, Mar 17, 2005.

1. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    I'm going to Ireland for 5 days with my brother as a last hurrah before he has kids and becomes an old man. We will be there for 5 days and plan to spend the weekend in Dublin we were told easiest route is south Ireland from there but I son't know much about it. Would love suggestions of good places to see and hang out in dublin and south Ireland. BTW we are both in opur late 20's. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. BoysInGreen

BoysInGreen New Member

Dec 13, 2004
    The Bronx, NYC
    If you've any value on Irish history I'd highly recommend a trip to Kilmainham Gaol (best known as the place the leaders of the 1916 Rising were executed) in Dublin, a short trip from O'Connell Street. They give a great tour of the jail, guy takes you around, explains who was where, tells the history, answers any questions. You watch a brief history of Ireland in the chapel of the jail, where Joseph Mary Plunkett married Grace Gifford, a short time before he was executed. Tour lasts about an hour. Costs a few euros, well worth the price of admission. Enjoy.

3. kindestcut

kindestcut New Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Addison, TX
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just got back from a quick weekend in Dublin. I didn't get to the Kilmainham Gaol tour although my girlfriend's family lives in the shadows of it.

You should go to Trinity College to see the Book of Kells. Apart from that, I found the most value in walking the streets and interacting with the people. It truly is a lovely city.

4. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Thanks guys I had both those things on my list..We are also going to Galway with a stop over in Cashel( dn't know if its spelled right) Limerick and are hitting the Aron Islands..Trying to see alotin 5 days but should be fun nonetheless..