Off subject - small sided games

Discussion in 'Referee' started by pacref, Jul 27, 2002.

1. pacref

pacref Member

Jun 8, 2000
    North Texas
    Without getting into the merits or lack of them in regard to small sided games at U11 and U12.

Have any of you had the pleasure of working an 8v8 u12 match and how was the match assigned (iron man, full crew or what).

Curious on how many state assoc are already doing this or are moving toward it. There is a definate impact on the referee pool, but a good place for the younger kids to get experience.

2. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Central Iowa, they are usually covered by a certified ref 8 with club linesman - one from each team. The CR is frequently a 14-16 year old kid.

3. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Massachusetts has been playing "6v6" at the U10 level for a number of years. We have wholeheartedly embraced the Associate Referee program and use these folk in most of the matches. Single ref, club ARs (if used). No offside makes this a good entry for young new refs.

If 11v11 is dis-affiliated, I'd expect the leagues here to stick with the 6v6 program and continue using the Associate Referees (aka Grade 11).

4. MPJ334

MPJ334 New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Chelsea,New York, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i do'nt know how the state does it, but my club for U10...8v8, i think. we don't have U11 or U12 (yet), and U13 is 11v11. U6 and U8 have a ELR only. U10 and up has a three man crew of ELRs. (entry level referees). to my knowledge, we have nothing lower than grade 8 in my club.

5. gkeck

gkeck Member

Apr 5, 2002
    Southern California
    I just returned from the Surf Cup last night..the youngers weekend. The U10's were 8v8, smaller fields, and had 3 officials on each game, National Emeritus, State Emeritus, plus less experienced referees.

6. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What sized field is used for 8v8?

7. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I did a couple of 8v8 games at the beginning of this past season, they were U9 and U10. I had club linesmen. The field was small, probably about 50x30 or so. One GK could punt the ball from his PA all the way to the other goal with little effort. I tend to find those young age groups rather taxing because it's all so random and completely unpredictable. By the time they get to U13 or so it's much easier to anticipate what's going to happen.

8. pacref

pacref Member

Jun 8, 2000
    North Texas
    small sided stuff

Most clubs size the 8v8 field to be roughly one-half the size of 11v11 field and put the goals on the touchline sides (of course). This the example from our club's website
    http://www.pacsports.org/u10dim.htm

You are SOOOO correct. The field may be smaller but you probably do as much running just to keep up with the constant change of direction.

9. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    8v8 on half field sounds too crowded. The game must look like pinball.

10. pacref

pacref Member

Jun 8, 2000
    North Texas
    Not really 7 field players on say a 70yd x 50yd pitch leaves a lot of room, especially since they tend to bunch up, and you really have to watch out for the down field pass that angles off the kickers foot right for your head.....

11. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The compensating factor being that the field is much smaller. If a match was played that way on a full-sized field, you'd drop over dead from chasing the play around.

The other thing that would be more frustrating to me is getting hit by the ball. I always pride myself on how rarely I myself am in a player's way or have a ball ricochet off of me. If it happens once a match I'm not happy.

In the small sided games, because play is so random and unpredictable, you spend half your time dodging and ducking.

Great fun though. The enthusiasm and smiles make it very worthwhile.

BTW, let me share something I learned from one of the old timers who has since retired but who taught me a lot about the job:

With these younger age groups, he would always walk over to the parents side at the half and ask if anyone had any questions.

He really believed, and taught the rest of us, that a big part of our job OUGHT to be educational, and that we could personally do a lot to affect people's attitudes about Referees and the game, and that if WE didn't put in some time teaching the parents, nobody else was going to do it.

Most of the parents were new to the game, didn't really understand much about the rules, and the mothers particularly were not embarassed to ask questions either about the game in general or (more usually) a specific incident in the match.

Very rarely there'd be some parent (father usually) who wanted to be a little confrontational, (or just show off) but even then the others really acted like they wanted to learn, so you'd talk to them and, while being polite, more or less ignore the sourpuss.

Over the years, that may be the one thing I've gotten more comments on than anything else.