*#*#*#*# Off Back To Georgia!

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by metrocorazon, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Vistula

Vistula New Member

Jul 2, 2001
    Garfield
    Here's some advice. Stop watching the 2000 and 2001 highlight tapes already. Mathis hasn't created a scoring opportunity for himself in an eternity. The only goal he scored this year that you could call a solo effort was that little roller he scored off the dribble in Colorado.

Everyone likes to bash the likes of Woly and Jusko and even Magee for missing chances. Well, at least they're in goal scoring positions. Mathis either comes back for the ball, or drifts out wide. The only time he's in front of the net is on set pieces. His running off the ball as a forward is mindless.

This "lack of service" line of bull-jive doesn't cut it. Mathis is our best finisher, but he doesn't get half the chances that our other strikers get and there's a reason for that. He's not in good spots.

Maybe he needs to run in midfield the rest of the way. At least he's working hard out there. He's just not playing like a forward.

2. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

I'm still too pissed to argue about any of this stuff. None of it really matters. What's done is done.

I hated riding the NJT bus back after the game Wednesday night with fans talking and joking like nothing had happened.

The Yankee comeback last night didn't even cheer me up.

I hope the players can bounce back Saturday night better than I am.

We may be watching that one from the couch.

3. Simon Templar

Simon Templar New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    I am sad to say I booed Mathis's performance.
    That long walk back after losing the ball the 100th time infuriated me. I must agree with Brownswan..I felt cheated and duped. Bradley did the right thing pulling Clint...I am sorry for us all that it has come to this...

Bradley has done a fine job this year and I am proud of the team making it this far. If only Clint could get his act together and act as a leader instead of an arrogant unproductive prima dona. Imagine if he had hussled as much as Clark or Richie Williams...I would forgive all the errant passes. But with this attitude I think we would be better off with anyone else.

4. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

Being there Wednesday night I can't tell you who the booing was for. It was kind of a half hearted the guy next to me is booing so it must be cool to boo thing.

It was probably the same fans who chanted bull *#*#*#*#, bull *#*#*#*# at Rimando when he was testing out his torn acl.

Real knowledgeable sports fans right?

5. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Yes, if only he hustled more.

6. Soccer C

Soccer C New Member

May 6, 2001
    NY
    I can tell you that the people booing around where I was sitting were definitely booing Mathis - I know because they were the same people who were yelling about how badly he was playing right before he was subbed out.

7. ColdCuts

ColdCuts Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Queens, NYC
    You're all a bunch of turncoats!

Beautifully stated.

8. andrew

andrew New Member

Jul 3, 2001
    Mathis right now is an absolute abomination on the pitch! Anyone who thinks he is in as good a shape as he once was, is dead wrong! The guy is still a lot thicker than he was in 2000. He lost that lightning quick first step and touch. His shot has all but disappeared, and he can't outrun anyone! Oh by the way, his touch has abandoned him as well. He is a fat guy with no touch, no quickness and no speed! I used to be his biggest supporter, but he is such a shell of his former self, it is ridiculous!

9. mathismetro19

mathismetro19 New Member

Feb 4, 2003
    You said exactly what I was trying to say, but you said it better.

10. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When was the last time Cleetus came up big in a big game?? Results of our scoring when Cleetus sits and when he plays says it all. The subjective evaluation of his play only supports his effect on our games results.

11. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I'm not trying to be confrontational, but I don't think you've picked the best example of idiot fans jumping on a guy unfairly (of which there are plenty).

If you have MRI-eyes, that's cool, but I only see 20/20 (with glasses). I can't diagnose a torn knee ligament from 75 feet away within 10 seconds.

Yes, he was lying on the ground rolling around and then got up to test it, but DC fans chant the same "bullsh!t" at Guevara when he rolls around on the ground acting like he's been shot. So which is the bunch of geniuses, and which the bunch of retards?

The fact that he got up to test it only made it seem less serious, as we've all seen someone go down in a heap only to spend two minutes "testing" it on the field, and after getting off the pitch for 30 second they run back on and are fine. It's easy to say a week later after the x-rays what actually happened, a bit harder to guess at the time.

There are times when you can tell a guy is faking, and times when you can't. In both cases, if you make the call enough you'll get it wrong every once in a while. I don't remember chanting that myself, but I remember laughing a bit because I though he was grabbing his calf initially and to hurt a leg making a throw seemed pretty ridiculous in it's own right. I thought he tripped, then I thought he pulled a calf muscle on the trip, then I realized it was more serious after he limped off the field.

So, if you were able to instantly see he'd ruptured a knee ligament from the stands while he was walking around, then you are a more knowledgable fan than all of us. You win.

12. No, the Metro have had a number of absolute abonminations on the pitch, but honestly, Clint at his worst doesn't deserve that remark.

13. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    For the Mathis detractors - if Metro shopped Mathis, what would you realistically want for him?

14. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

You can try to justify it any way you want to but taunting an injured player before you know whether he's staying in the game or not and singling out one of the best players in Metro history for abuse when the entire offense is playing like crap shows no class.

You don't have to be a genius to know non contact injuries, where the player pulls up or goes down like he's shot are often the most serious. You just have to watch sports and pay attention. I'll give you Testeverde, Armas, Victorine and Pires as a couple of examples right off the top of my head. Even Mathis's torn acl was described as being a result of him landing wrong without any contact from anybody. If I recall correctly Armas was jogging after tearing his acl.

These are the kinds of things knowledgeable sports fans are aware of.

15. mathismetro19

mathismetro19 New Member

Feb 4, 2003
    I just think this is all a tiny bit unfair to Clint.
    He's played, for the most part, very well for the Metros and the Nats in his career.
    I think a lot of people are forgetting that he's also having a 20-point season this year...maybe he didn't live up to everyone's expectations, but he hasn't been playing totally horribly. He's been pretty good for the most part. He's also our team's leading goalscorer, whether think he's terrible or not, you can't deny that. And I really doubt that he creates a problem in the team's chemistry. From everything you ever hear anyone say about him, he's a really nice and funny guy.
    And, as many people have already said, pretty much our whole offense has sucked since July. No matter how unreasonable you're being, you can't blame it ALL on Clint. He is obviously much more talented than most, if not all, of the players on our team. Aside from around the end of the Open Cup Final, he has been showing a lot of effort this season, tracking back to help on D or whatever...and most people always say that's his biggest problem. That, and that he's not in shape. Well, he IS in shape now. He's just going through a slump. Six games? I don't think that it's time to send him to the A-League just yet.
    I think that he will be back and everyone will be starting "Mathis is God" threads again, instead of "*#*#*#* Off Back to Georgia". I just hope that those threads aren't on the Galaxy boards.
    I want to see Clint as a Metro again next season. In fact, I really don't see ANY reason to get rid of him. Ok, maybe one could argue he gets paid too much. But who do you honestly expect to get in place of him? I don't think that it's right for everyone to just turn on a guy who's ALWAYS been dedicated to this team for another slow 35-year old European guy. Remember the "I Love NY" t-shirts? The 5-goal game? Are we all just going to forget about that now?
    C'mon, don't give up on him this quickly. I would say that even if he had been playing like complete crap for a year, but he's just been playing so-so for a few months! Give the guy a chance.

16. Sccrlvr27

Sccrlvr27 New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    New Jersey
    Are you stupid!!?! You think Mathis is still good?!
    The most talented player on the team!?! What Year are you looking at? Has your vision died out on you? Obviously you've missed the past few games when he hasnt done *#*#*#*# for us excepet blow 3 pks in a row!

If that evidence isnt good enough for your underdeveloped brain then why dont u look at the statistics!?!
    W/Clint we have won 38% of our games. W/O him we have won 63%. Do you UNDERSTAND what that means?!?! It MEANS we're BETTER WITHOUT him!

And are you seriously telling me that while watching the games you dont wanna just walk over to him and smack him across the face for *#*#*#*#ing up so bad. Or dont you at least feel let down by youre "idol" . YES he is a METRO and we should support him but he isnt supporting his team and his fans. He has given up, and thats not good for us.

I think its time for you to just face the facts and realize that he isnt as good as he once was. Its time for you to just let it go. Sometimes players loose their touch, and obviously Clint is one of those players. There's nothing we can do about it. Just have to suck it up and deal w/it. As you obviously arent doing to well.

17. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Okay, so it's just whether or not he's staying in the game that counts, not the injury? Glad we've got that sorted.

You do, apparently, have to be a genius to read. I mentioned below that I thought he tripped. If you look at the tape, he catches the ball then nearly runs up the back of two of his own players, outlets the ball in traffic and goes down. Not everyone could see it was a non-contact injury through traffic from a distance. You could because you are the most knowledgeable sports fan in history, which is cool. I hope you get a scarf with that.

I was at that game. I was watching. For every non-contact "serious" injury, there are a lot of non-contact injuries that aren't serious. How many times have you seen a guy running (pick a sport, it isn't exclusive to soccer), pull up lame and go down? Happens quite often. Sometimes it's a serious hamstring pull, other times it's a cramp due to dehydration. You, being a knowledgeable sports fan, can instantly ascertain the difference? And there have been players who have been injured, played through pain with ligament tears and broken bones only to find out after the game how injured they were. It all looks the same from the stands until the x-rays come in. DC fans booed Ronnie O'Brien for holding his leg, only to find out it was broken. What does that prove?

Also, let's remember a thing or two about the Rimando injury. Stewart scores in the 68th to put DC up 2-0. The game is still 2-0 in the 78th minute with Metro attacking furiously when Rimando goes down on a non-contact injury. Is he stalling? Is he injured? I'm very happy for you that you can immediately tell the difference without a shadow of a doubt. It's convenient that in your world, no player has ever faked an injury to stall out a game while leading. BTW, ever seen a Mexico game? Also, if Kovalenko broke Mathis' leg in DC, do you doubt their fans would yell at him? Nature of the rivalry.

Enough about that. You have x-ray vision and brilliant medical skills we don't. Congrats.

As for booing Mathis. This man put up an absolute zero in 65 minutes of the biggest game in our history. The boos were coming from all around the stadium, not just 101. Supporting Metro is not to blindly support mediocrity. If they do bad, you have the right to tell them so. We stand and sing for 90 minutes. Do you? One guy came from 800 miles away to be there. Would you do the same? The fans you attack for not being class stood in 101 for 15 minutes and clapped for the team after the game. One of those fans left crying. Those same fans have stood and clapped for this team all year, home and away, after some very good and some very bad performances. We cheer when appropriate, we boo occassionally, but when appropriate. We don't "turn" on the team, but I think to accept miserable play silently is worse than to criticize it. Maybe you'd rather we be WUSA fans.

And, if you are so knowledgeable, come to 101 and favor us with your brilliance. Stop by Nathan Hale's and watch an away match with us. Maybe you can convince us in person that you are right, that you are smarter than us all.

I guess we all know why that won't happen.

18. Sccrlvr27

Sccrlvr27 New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    New Jersey
    Key word there being REMEMBER

19. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

This is getting silly.

A keeper outlets the ball to his team and goes down faking an injury to stall for time?

You've seen a keeper go down from dehydration or cramps? It's all the running they do right?

Just admit taunting a player when you have no idea the extent of his injury is a no class move and move on already.

20. Simon Templar

Simon Templar New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Holy SpellCheck Batman!

HAHAAHA The Batman to the rescue! No matter how many times I proof these something sneaks through. Is there a spell check feature somewhere that I am missing?

If only the Dark Knight could talk some sense into our Georgia Wunderkind..now that would be a real rescue!

21. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I think his point was that when Clint plays well people say all sorts of good things about him. For instance, I remember about a month ago (i.e., this season) someone saying that all he had to do was keep his mouth shut to be the perfect player:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=1566015#post1566015

22. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Re: Holy SpellCheck Batman!

The attempt at sarcasm actually had nothing to do with spelling -- oh well.

23. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Duck. Weave. Dodge. Parry.

[​IMG]

This buds for you, man. Good job ignoring the point.

Again, maybe you can stop by some time and explain to us how you are a better fan than we are. We're all waiting to meet you.

24. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

Never said I was a better fan, just a bit more knowledgeable about what I'm looking at.

The point is taunting an injured player before it's determined whether he can continue on in the game is no class.

There's really no defense.

25. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY
    unless it's Serna , 99.9% of the time he's faking it