Odds on WUSA white knight?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by sachinag, Sep 15, 2003.

1. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Or the people associated with the league.

2. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I know the WUSA had a horrible business plan but I really do believe the WUSA was great test marketing for the MLS and they saw that it was a huge failure.

I don't think MLS takes a chance on a women's league. At least not right now. The MLS would be even more in the red then they are now.

3. Marcus Lindroos

Marcus Lindroos New Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Hi guys,

Assuming every MLS team had a WUSA counterpart in the same city, wouldn't it be smarter to play *every* WUSA game as an MLS doubleheader...? That way, all costs and resources would be shared. I.e. same team doctors, P.R. staff, team officials, regular season schedule etc. as for the MLS team. The additional cost brought by the womens team would then be restricted to player salaries, plus additional air tickets + hotel accomodation whenever the MLS side plays an away game (=the WUSA girls travel with the MLS guys). It seems to me as if the relatively high fixed cost of maintaining a separate league could be avoided in this manner.
    ---
    Would MLS benefit from it? I agree with kyledane that the impact on paid attendance might be quite small -- but at least the WUSA core audience would be retained.

MARCU$

4. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Hopefull someone steps in.

Having a woman team associated with a MLS team and playing doubleheader seems like a reasonable approach.

5. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, while I'm sure that there's a financial advantage to starting fresh with a new women's league (and avoiding all of the bad debt, etc.), what is even more important is the chance to start over with new team names and logos.

Seriously, CyberRays? And the weird Freedom logo? They all sucked, each and every team's name and logo. Let's hope that they are all gone for good (*exception made for Loney's columns).