October Expansion Draft

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by Mattymags811, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As expected Western New York is coming into the league. As of now, the expansion draft is scheduled for October. Jeff Kassouf of the Equalizer expects the protected lists to be less than 11. For discussion purposes, let's say 10.

Who's on your list for the Breakers (regardless of contract status at this point)?

2. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My list:
    Jordan Angeli, Leslie Osborne, Alyssa Naeher, Lindsay Tarpley, Amy LePeilbet, Lauren Cheney, Alex Scott, Kelly Smith, Kristine Lilly, Ifeoma Dieke.

3. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Smith
    Scott
    Lepelbet
    Osburne
    Cheney
    Dieke
    Tarpley
    Angeli
    Naeher
    Cox

I do not think Lilly will play for another team so don't start on me about leaving her off :)

4. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thought about that too, but remembered MLS drafts and Toronto taking Jason Kreis and trading him back to RSL. I dont want to give up draft picks to keep a player on the team. I know Leslie is def under contract for next year and that Cheney, Naeher. Angeli, and Tarpley should be, but who knows.

5. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but one of your stipulations was "regardless of contract status"... I don't think BuufRoch can afford to waste a pick if there is any chance Lil would just retire rather than move. Which may happen anyway, or may a couple more years away.....
    I added Cox over her because left backs seem to be at a premium. Now, if Lil wanted to drop back........

6. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd agree with Matt: Angeli, Cheney, Dieke, LePeilbet, Lilly, Naeher, Osborne, Scott, Smith, Tarpley. Cox was certainly an upgrade over Mitts and it wouldn't be easy to replace her, so I'd hope she didn't get picked. I just see fewer flaws in the these 10. If the Buffalo/Rochester/NY/whatever whatchamacallits are looking for a keeper, Phillips or Lipsher should be appealing to them.

7. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In terms of keepers I don't think Philly would protect both Henderson and LeBlanc nor would Sky Blue protect both Bardsley and Branam. Course the free agent thing really will throw all of this off.

8. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Lindsay Tarpley is a free agent and thus would neither be protected by the Breakers for the expansion draft, nor would she be eligible for selection. She can negotiate with any WPS club for 2011, including the Breakers and the Western New York franchise.

She would only need to be protected by the Breakers if she were re-signed prior to the expansion draft.

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year, multiple teams protected 2 keepers in their 9 player list. That's how LA & FCGP got multiple draft picks from ATL & Philly. Granted, the 2011 draft will not be nearly as deep as the 2010 one was but still....

Thank you for the contract status on Tarpley.

My semi-baseless speculation is that multiple "name" players (eg Abby & Tarpley) are out of contract this season. Clever GMs that have good relationship w/ said players (and "know" they are going to re-sign them) might be able to keep more of the team intact by delaying some contract negotiations...

10. pressurecooker

Feb 22, 2009
    Boston
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In view of the players lost in last year's draft(Schmedes & Weber), of which I don't either was seriously missed. I don't expect the Breakers to lose anybody that was critical to their success this season either. It is always unfortunate to lose players but the talent pool is still pretty deep. Especially seeing as the new Super League seems to only be concentrating on signing players from the British isles.

I would also suspect that Tarpley would have the Breakers pretty high on her wish list of clubs to sign with for next season.

11. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Andy. Just thought for a minute her Breakers contract was longer than 2010, but maybe most of the dispersed Athletica folks were on deals that end with the current season. Please bring her back, but in November. :D

12. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for the info Andy....

But you know me....Now I want my mile!:p

Is Lindsay our only free agent??

How soon can we see a list of all WPS free agents??

With the new players union I'd assume this stuff to be "leaked" out eventually so I hope WPS and the union get in front of it and put all the cards on the table....

Let's keep the few of us that talk...talking in the offseason!

13. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Is Amy LePeilbet a free agent? ;)

14. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to think this goes without saying....but it is WPS.

I hope the league (and the 7 current teams) have proper funding to return in '11 before holding an expansion draft....this time.

If one (or more) teams have to fold just relocate....

15. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007

16. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be all that option business, among other things, right?

17. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007
  18. pressurecooker

Feb 22, 2009
    Boston
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As for contract status. Andy was kind enough to fill us in on LePeilbet. I know that Smith signed a 3 year deal with an additional year option. And it has been rumored that Osbourne signed a multi-year deal last year. Does anybody know of any other players that are definitely signed for next season?

19. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll go out on a limb and guess that if Smith signed a 3 year contract then so did Scott.

20. pressurecooker

Feb 22, 2009
    Boston
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would've suspected the same thing but if I remember correctly Scott only signed a 2 year deal when she initially signed with Chicago.

21. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007
    For the Boston Breakers:

Exposed:
    Liz Bogus
    Ashley Phillips
    WPS Rights to Cynthia Morote-Ariza
    WPS Rights to Ji So-Yun

Protected:
    Jordan Angeli
    Lauren Cheney
    Ifeoma Dieke
    Taryn Hemmings
    Amy LePeilbet
    Kristine Lilly
    Alyssa Naeher
    Leslie Osborne
    Alex Scott
    Kelly Smith

So...questions?

22. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to know more about leaving Ji So-Yun unprotected, but you probably can't answer those questions. It could be that you already know she's going to sign in Germany, or you don't want to sign her, or that you think no one would select her. Curious. Otherwise the only surprise to me is the inclusion of Hemmings at the expense of Bogus.

I see from the free agent list that Patrizia Panico is available. Can you sign her to a special contract that would allow her to be put in a dunk tank in Breakerstown before every home game?;)

23. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007
    We've had Ji So-Yun's rights for several months and had several conversations. We are very far apart and it makes no sense to protect that level of conversation at the expense of a valued player from what was a pretty good team this year. So that was the basis of that decision.

You won't see Panico in Boston, at least not in blue.

24. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't want to see her in Breaker Blue, just perched over a tank of water with a pile of baseballs nearby. I might like to do worse, but this seemed more civil.

25. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More of a comment. I like how you and your staff handled the options business. Whether or not it was intentional, it gives (IMO) the appearance that some moves were made because of the expansion draft and its rules of protection. December 1st will be interesting (I hope).