Obligatory "Why the US Sucks At Hoop" Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Bajoro, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Inspired by the other thread. We haven't hashed out the reasons we blow for a while now (still basking in the glory of various Olympic Dream Teams, I suppose).

So, why do we suck at basketball and will we ever not suck?

How do you propose to fix problem short of brainwashing all those soccer-loving parents and removing all the gameboys, computers and tv channels that detract from playing.

Any glimmers of light on the horizon?

2. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [In fake Nancy voice:]

I think we'll continue to suck as long as our best players stay in our pathetic domestic league and refuse to take on the challenge of playing in Europe and South America.

And also, the NCAA should adapt international rules. Why does the NCAA have to play different rules from the rest of the world? How can our hoopsters ever hope to compete?

3. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    hehehehe. I can't wait till the Olympics when we decide to put in our best 12 players.

4. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I blame the youth development. Kids these days just don't have the fundementals like how to shoot.

5. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    but they sure can dunk

6. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Just like the previous one, this is a basketball thread. It doesn't belong on USMNT.

JMac

7. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong. It is specifically a US Soccer thread. Jacen, you are familiar with the concept of parody, are you not?
    :)

8. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    No, no, no. The there is no national team success if the stars don't play in the domestic league and bring in the casual fans.

That said, US hoops will continue to suffer until the NBA adopts a promotion/relegation system.

9. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

I'm very familiar with Parody, but it was a parody of another thread, not of the team. I know there isn't alot going on with the nats right now, and that's the main reason alot of stuff on the borderline has been left alone, but it's very frustrating to log on and see that the top three threads on the forum were about US basketball.

JMac

10. usagoal

usagoal Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Las Vegas
    George Karl should be fired! How come Shaq is not playing point guard!

on a related note. This sure sounds familiar:

"You can't imagine how happy my people are. They feel so good right now," Stojakovic, the Sacramento Kings standout, said. "They've been up at 3 a.m., getting out of bed and watching this thing. They love this. We wanted to win for them."

11. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only Freddie had played we would have beaten the Yuoglsavians.

12. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    We need more Basketball Specific Stadia. No one will take the domestic league seriously until they stop playing in these hockey arenas.

13. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Yeah.....and the U.S. would still lose.

Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Clyde Drexler, Charles Barkely, etc. etc. etc. etc are no longer in the NBA. Guys like Reggie Miller, Jermaine O'Neal and Michael Finley are not exactly bums. If we have to depend solely on our best 12 guys to beat these tiny countries, then we're in a lot of trouble.

When I was in high school, it was a big deal if someone could actually reach the rim and dunk. Now, it's a rarity if someone actually CAN'T. In Europe (and elsewhere), kids are draining 3's left and right.

It's not our game anymore.

14. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    Now we know how English soccer fans feel.

15. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reggie Miller: The Earnie Stewart of basketball?

16. BallStateMiddie

BallStateMiddie New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    This is officially my post of the year submission. Thank you. I laughed at loud at that one. Unfortunately I was in a public computer lab at the time, which was a little distracting for the people around me.

Reggie Miller, the Earnie Stewart of basketball was pretty good, too.

How about some Jack and Ty references here, like Vlade really reeked Ha-voc on the US defences, or "Miller climbs the ladder for a hellacious jam."

17. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Pierce had a couple of nice speed moves, but he needs to learn to pass the ball off to another one of our full internationals every once in a while. Mine eyes have seen the horror.

18. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The problem with the US team is they had no leaders. When it came down to crunch time nobody was willing/able to take the big shot because these are all guys who play for mediocre teams. They needed a few guys who have won championships, or at least been to the NBA finals on this team and there were none to be head. Pathetic/embarrassing but the world has closed the gap and the US needs to send their top players if they want to guarantee victory.

19. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    And here I was, fooled by the fact that Pierce leads the team in assists.

20. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    And he also leads the team in field goals and free throws taken in addition to being second on the team in turnovers despite not even being the point guard. Another stat he leads the whole tournament in: boring his teammates to death until they become paralyzed spectators on the court.

I was just throwing in a couple of Jack and Tyisms. Change the name to Baron Davis, Andre Miller, or Michael Finley if you want. The point is, the players on the perimeter getting the majority of the minutes and touches on the ball couldn't organize anything resembling an offense throughout the tournament. It is their responsibility to get the spacing and organization right. I realize Pierce shot well the entire tournament, but he and the other guys would have been better served moving the ball better. It seemed to work for both Argentina and Yugoslavia on us with less talented players.

21. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey! I resemble that remark.

22. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think that the problem is that Americans are used to playing with their feet. They do not know how to use their hands.

The rest of the world plays with their hands, so they are good at basketball.

23. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Rochester doesn't have an NBA team, why have the NBA?

[​IMG]

24. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    It's amazing how the basketball establishment (NBA, NCAA, high schools...) have been able to sell the idea that every current problem with basketball is someone else's fault.

ESPN has a good one:
    http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/wojnarowski_adrian/1428234.html

And Bob Ryan, who always does an excellent job covering these tournaments, with his own piece:
    http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/250/sports/There_s_no_longer_a_world_of_difference+.shtml