Obesity in America

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by purojogo, Dec 26, 2005.

1. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US slowly wakes up to obesity crisis

the most shocking thing for me to read is not exactly (or wholly) US-related:

"The United Nations says the global total of overweight individuals rivals, for the first time, the number who are underweight. "

Yikes...

2. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Why does that surprise anyone, the level of crap that we sell for food here in the US is truly something to behold (McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, Dominoes, you name it)

3. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Overheard at a McDonalds recently...."I'll take 2 Big Mac meals, supersized, a Quarter Pounder with cheese and a hot apple pie. And oh yeah.....A Diet Coke" :confused:

4. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Maybe she was looking for Park Place from her cup lol

5. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It was a he, and it's not like he got it to go for somebody else. He sat down and polished it off right there. Me and my brother were astonished to say the least.

6. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Nasty!!

7. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Yawn.

This is only a big deal for the professional scolds. And could people kindly MYOB when at McD's or other eating establishments.

8. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I was in high school and early college, I used to get a 20 piece chicken mcnugget, large fry, and 1 or 2 cheeseburgers.

I miss those days.

I'm skinny, too.

But I do think the overall point is a good one. We as a society do share the cost of people's foolish decisions. Obesity is bad for everyone.

9. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Michael Jordan is overweight and The Rock is obese. The standards of what is overwight in this country are rcrazy low because of lobbying by the the dieting, exercise and food lobbies.

In fact the standards were lowered in 2000
    http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/72/5/1074

And yet we are living in a time where people are living longer and the rate of cancers treated vs detected has increased.

10. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that this would be good news. More people in the world have enough to eat. Horray!

11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    BMI can be inaccurate when applied to individuals, but it is largely accurate when applied to large demographics. How many of those 25+ % of people who are considered obese do you think fall into the Micheal Jordan or The Rock mold?

12. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Enough do.
    I am 5'-7" and 190 lbs. I run regularly and eat well and I am technically overweight.

13. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    And so has diabetes, heart disease, depression and suicide.

14. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the heart disease and diabetes have become less lethal due to new advances in pharmacuticals. As for depression, it is more diagnosed then ever before due to the advance in popularity of psych medicine. And I have a hard time that being a fat ass is the major reason why the majority of people off themselves.

15. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Just recently I happened to be at a youth soccer tournament where the surrounding area is best described as working class. Since I don't eat fast food, and I am conscientious about my eating habits, I headed to the local supermarket (Food 4 Less) to pick up some healthier type snacks. While the produce section did not have the quality and variety that you'd find in a place like Whole Foods, I was able to locate some passable apples (I bought two Gala, one Granny Smith).

I then headed for the aisle where the nuts are located, looking for plain, natural raw almonds. Blue Diamond seems to be the largest almond grower, and they had the almond market cornered at this place. Chocolate covered almonds, chili-flavored almonds, honey-dipped almonds, barbeque almonds, caramel almonds, salted and roasted almonds, salted, roasted and barbequed, well, you get the picture. But the Blue Diamond tin with the green label, raw almonds, uhh, no. I asked one of the clerks about it, and he just shrugged. Seems like there's not a great demand for the basic foodstuff, i.e., raw almonds, in this neighborhood.

But when I returned to the tournament, with the mainly middle and upper-middle class families there, I noticed that the snack bar offerings had an incredible array of all sorts of snacks, from chips, to Gummy Bears, to burgers, cheese burgers, onion cheese burgers, onion with mushroom cheeseburgers, French fries, chili French fries, chili cheese French fries, and practically every soda invented by man. No fresh fruit. No salads. Glad I went to Food 4 Less.

16. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Which in turn drives up medical and insurance costs. And I'm sure it would be difficult to get hard data on how many clinically obese people commit suicide, I'd bet the numbers might be far greater than you think.

Dont' get me wrong, I too think the government standards to define obesity are out of whack, but you've got to admit....obesity is a pretty major and serious problem in this country.

17. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    rather than comparing overall weight to height, comparing your waist measurement to height would be a better reflection. People with extra muscle mass don't tend to have big stomachs to go with it.

Mind you, while some will clearly just be muscular, unless there is a tendency for people to be considerably more muscular than before, it's fatties driving the percentage up.

The same problem exists here too. More and more people are having to squeeze out of the closet and admit they are obese.

It's pretty sickening to see the amount of fat kids around these days. When I was a nipper fat kids were a rarity. Every PE class would have one fat kid struggling round the cross country course, but it was almost always just one. Now there are loads of fat kids, and what's more they are getting fatter. You see kids of about 10 with rolls of fat, with the fat starting to sag down. You never saw kids that bad in the past. Simply too much cheap crap food given to kids to keep them quiet.

At least schools here are starting to take the lead by banning junk food from school dinner menus (all because of a documentary by TV chef Jamie Oliver to try and get schools to do just that). The kids moaned like hell at first, because many of them had never eaten anything except junk food in their lives, but after a few weeks of grumbling they seemed happy about it.

18. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    My brother-in-law is a P.E. teacher in a middle school in L.A. Over the last 7-8 years he's seen an amazing rise in obese, out-of-shape kids. It used to be that when he had the class run one mile, there was a group of at least 10 kids who could run under eight minutes, another 10-15 who could go under ten minutes, and then the rest jog-walk and walk. Now he's lucky to get 4-5 who can go under nine minutes, maybe another 8-10 under ten minutes, and then everyone else walks, with many not finishing the mile.

Kids I know that are on very competitive teams, ages 10-12, tell similar stories. These kids are the ones of course who run six and even sub-six minute miles, but aside from the soccer kids there ain't a whole lot of other kids who can run an entire mile, let alone run a competitive time. This is America in the 21st century. Yikes!!!

19. Labdarugo

Labdarugo Member

Dec 3, 2000
    Downwind
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Recommended reading.

We eat very healthy, but, in the end, people make their own choices about what to eat. There's a lot of unhealthy food out there and a lot of unhealthy eating habits. And a lot of money to be made. Food companies make a lot of money giving people processed not-necessarily-healthy food that is convenient, cheap, and plentiful. (Eating healthy takes time, money, and energy.) Pharmaceutical companies make a lot of money giving people medicines to help ease the symptoms of their unhealthy lifestyle choices. ... So my health insurance keeps going up. :rolleyes:

20. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    This is not a crisis. A crisis is when someone has a loaded gun pointed at your head and is threatening to kill you. This is simply another issue, like the national debt or things like that. And it's not a uniquely US issue either. Anywhere that you find wealth, you will find this issue.

21. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Actually, it only adds 20% - 40% of the cost to insurance. At least that's what some economists have found when trying to figure out how much an individuals' risk factors add to their cost of health insurance. Granted that's still a big chunk of money not as much as some people think it would be.

22. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

are you kidding with stuff like this? i mean, O.M.G.

no offense, but someone pointing a loaded gun at you is a personal crisis, whereas another type of crisis might affect millions upon millions of people - in my fair opinion, this is definitely a crisis if only because waaaaaaay too many people are passing these sloppy life habits on to their children at decreasingly lower ages (sometimes back even to the womb) - now, schools barely try to act like they are ever choosing nutrition over cost convenience and nobody gives a crap

23. LordR

LordR Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Germany
    Only thanks to improved technology, not because of better nutrition. One of the best ways to determine the quality of nutrition in a country is the average body height of the population. America is as far as I know the only developed country in the world, where the average height of the people decreases, while in other western countries it's increasing rapidly since WW2.
    However, the problem of obesity also exists in Europe, we are just one or two decades behind, but without radical (and probably unpopular) law changes, the problem will become as big as it is in America. In my opinion extremely unhealthy food should be banned or at least taxed heavily, because to me it isn't better than cigarettes. Also healthy food has to be subsidized so that it becomes cheaper. The lower class is the most obese one because unhealthy food is cheaper than healthy. Another problem are parents who overfeed their kids, there must be a law that forces them to visit courses about healthy nutrition, if they still feed their kids unhealthy food they have to be fined and in extreme cases the child must be taken away.

Some of these suggestions are already dicussed in Germany and could be realized, I'm not sure how practicable they would be in America, though.

24. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    20-40% is a HUGE chunk of money when it's the lower income, non-insured that are obese and driving health care costs skyward. Of course those costs get passed down to you and me.

25. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    glad that sitting on a chair posting on an internet forum has nothing to do with obesity.

:D