News: Obama / Chicago Olympic Bid Rejected

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Topper, Oct 2, 2009.

1. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    It doesn't. But from the few minutes of the video of Maddow that I watched, she was pointing out that the right was cheering because America lost. At one point she pulled out a confetti popper and followed it a sarcastic, "ah yes, America loses..."

No mention of Obama, in fact the only mention of Obama that I heard was from Limbaugh and Beck - not that they aren't promoting an agenda against him...

From what I saw, she is trying to equate that people are celebrating that America lost because of Obama. Does she mention the amount of money that it would have cost taxpayers? Does she mention that Chicago was split on the prospect? Not until she was 5 minutes in to her piece.

If she didn't have an agenda herself, the reporting wouldn't be half bad. But when she prefaces that piece with the sarcasm that you see from Beck and Limbaugh she places herself in the same political pile of shit.

Some of my friends have expressed joy over the news that the bid was lost, some of them voted for Obama. My response, "that's the olympic spirit..." Are they any less shameless?

2. KDdidit

KDdidit Member

Apr 15, 2001
    The Brookfield Zoo
    Dan Bernstein was a total dick about it for hours straight on AM 670. Was some entertaining radio.

3. CFnwside

CFnwside Member+

Jan 25, 2001
    Humboldt Park
    That's precisely it. I voted foe Obama but was opposed to the Olympic bid. Like many Chicagoans I'm fed up with Daley's hubris. There are many, many projects we need to spend money on in this city, but the mayor's focus is to please developers and the legions of yuppies moving in from the suburbs, now that it's "hip" again to live in the big city. Let's not forget that the most staunch opposition to the bid in Chicago came from The Reader, our left leaning weekly.

4. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Exactly. Obama doesn't have that much to do with it - every Chicagoan I've spoken to (and given that I lived there for 6 years, I know quite a few) didn't want the Olympics. Hell, I think the bid was being mooted when I was still a Chicago resident and I didn't want the damn Olympics. Chicago has better and more important things to spend money on than an Olympic bid, like, say, not repeatedly cutting CTA access to and from the South Side.