Oasis singer insults US audiences and record industry

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Scotty, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  2. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noel isn't the singer.

3. joseph pakovits

joseph pakovits New Member

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    Proper response to anything a Gallagher says: A polite chuckle before moving on.

4. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Whoops. I mean the other moron.

5. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good thing 'ol Noel Gallagher is looking after us music lovers. You know since he's giving us an outlet from the unoriginal Radiohead with his incredibly original tunes.

6. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, this is really controversial stuff. :rolleyes: Maybe next we'll find out that commercial radio sucks.

7. joseph pakovits

joseph pakovits New Member

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    The sentiment behind the second quote set off a flurry of discussion in the "rock is dead" threrad here, if you'll recall.

8. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Ah yes, but Radiohead are now total sh_t, and so far up their own arses they eat their food twice.

9. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    isn't this what rock stars are suppose to do?

say things to piss people off... no matter who it is?

where the ************ is it written that rock stars want to make people happy... they just want to play their music, ************ their chicks and do their drugs

everything else is after the fact and really getting in the way... we got too many bands going around trying to be all things to everyone... ************ off and be you

there is no such thing as a bubble gum pop individual... well, there are, but these people live in a psych ward

rock will be "back" when the next set of bands show up and don't care...

10. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

most of that thread was pure crap, i think i did my post... then one or two more after comments occured, and said ************ it

why the hell should i care about a bunch of people that are going to belittle the next arrival anyways... think about it... most of us are going to miss the ride... i probably will too

rock ain't dead, people move on and forget what was that is... they expect things to move with them

it ain't about them, it never was, it never will be... if it is, we got britney and her minions

11. Soccer-Six-Shooter

Soccer-Six-Shooter New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    sounds like sour grapes to me.

X

12. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: sounds like sour grapes to me.

That's classic. :)

13. BlueMovie FC

BlueMovie FC Red Card

Dec 16, 1999
    Ohio
    in a local mag here, Noel said that the American music scene was better than the British music scene and that the American music press had more integrity than the British music press.

14. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    I'd love to read the full interview instead of just afew lines from it .
    Noel just tries to wind people up for a laugh.
    In one of his recent interviews he had a dig at robbie williams .He said something along the lines of .." im not a violent man but I'd like to push robbie down the stairs afew times .I'd also like to see him held down and slapped by men in white coats "..lol

15. NorthGoalGang

NorthGoalGang Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Coventry, CT
    Translation: The album is tanking.

16. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bingo, we have a winner.

17. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    I'm normally the first person to critisize the Gallaghers for being press hungry shock-value idiots, but I find very little wrong with what he says here. The US records executives are total scumbags who have no sense of taste or good art. There number one priority is money and "what is going to get us rich quicker"?? I worked with label executives for nearly six years and they are complete idiots who have no business being in the line of work they are in.

18. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    on some songs he is, and he does alot of backup on the ones hes not.

19. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I'm more surprised if someone is surprised at this. Those guys are and always have been classic "MFJ"'s if you ask me... Misfits, Fvck-ups and jerk-offs.

20. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he's not the LEAD singer. When someone just uses the term "singer" it's generally understood to be a reference to the lead singer.

21. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    They have a new album out?? ;)

In all seriousness I haven't even heard one single off their new album.

22. SportBoy321

SportBoy321 New Member

Jul 6, 2002
    New England
    Oasis did very well in the US in the mid 90's when alternative rock music was very popular. The type of music they do isn't going to get much airplay now with nu metal bands getting most of the rock music attention. I remember tuning into local rock radio stations in the mid 90's and Oasis got a lot of air play those same stations now are playing bands who are a lot heavier than Oasis is now maybe if they starting rapping they'd get some airplay.

23. houstonmls

houstonmls Member

Aug 11, 1999
    Dallas
    you know, i agree with every ************ing word he said.

24. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Hmmmmmmm, not sure about that one. I mean, Limp Bizkit ?, New found glory ?, Blink 18poo ?. Personally speaking both scenes are a bit rubbish at the moment. Oasis have lost that sparkle, loads of US or US-influenced pop-punk crap like Blink 182 and Offspring and whiny moany metal for 14 year olds like Papa Smurf and Korn.

The whole retro thing with The strokes (1 song, different words) and the White Stripes (fast Bob Dylan) is a bit boring as well.

And bands that have split up like RATM, Divine Comedy etc. are being missed, as they sound different to the above tripe.

I think we need another Oasis, Metallica, Queen or whoever, who as a bit of spunk about them and are that bit different to the rest doing the rounds.

25. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    Thank God for Oasis. Ego, attitude and talent make rockstars, not corporations, make up artist and stylist.