Oakland & San Francisco-Bay Area (non-Earthquakes) pro soccer.

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by SJTillIDie, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

xbhaskarx and don gagliardi repped this.
  2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    canammj repped this.
  3. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I listen to the 99% Invisible podcast, where recently, founder Roman Mars in his closing sign-off states that he is a Community Owner of the Oakland Roots. He always states that his office is in beautiful downtown Oakland...

xbhaskarx repped this.
  4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obligatory Roman Mars vexillology vid on the principles of flag design

mjlee22 and don gagliardi repped this.
  5. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ===========
    Wow. That is a big jump in size of stadium for a second division team.
    I went to Quakes vs. Galaxy game years ago at Coliseum was not impressed with site lines, as I am sure many Oakland Raider fans felt. You are still playing a "rectangular" game in a "diamond".

Does anyone know if this temp until the "soccer" stadium in the parking lot is built (or is that a question mark now?)
    Or could the Coliseum be downside by having sections removed to make a proper soccer stadium?
    Would seem for 2025 they would have to work around the A's schedule, but if the A's are done after that, soccer would then be the primary tenant !?
    If baseball truly leaves, does anyone see the baseball stadium being torn down? If so, what could or would go there?
    Also, does the old arena (Oracle?) factor into any of this? Does that place pay its way? Does it have tenants?
    Going to be interesting to see how all of this plays out.

6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, they will play in the Coliseum starting in 2025 until their soccer stadium is completed in the Malibu lot. The Coliseum is definitely not ideal but at least it's actually in the city of Oakland.

vamanoshasta repped this.
  7. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't know if the A's will be there in 2025, as their lease ends this year. There are negotiations going on now to figure out if they will stay during the 3-year gap before the Vegas stadium will supposedly open. If the A's are gone, they could arrange the seats in the old NFL configuration which puts seats on top of the outfield and creates a more rectangular alignment. When the Quakes played some games there, they had to leave the seating in the baseball configuration which was less suitable. The Roots probably will have to do that if the A's do stick around for 2025.

8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of people saying this is the dumbest idea ever but that's not true there are plenty of other equally dumb ideas

9. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell us, Tyler, who actually proposed this?

xbhaskarx repped this.
  10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the way they combined the Roots and Soul logos here...

https://www.oaklandrootssc.com/news...reak-down-barriers-to-sports-in-the-east-bay/

People will either love this or hate it... not sure it's the best soccer jersey but it's a nice shirt

https://sfcityfc.com/store/p/2024-parrot-kit

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Even if you place 20k fans in the Oakland Coliseum that has a capacity 56,782 without tarps, it will look empty.

12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The A's made do for many years. :)

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes and we all know how the A's ended or will end up.....

14. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That parrot kit is sooooo good-looking and that SF City FC has some great looking merch in their store.
    It would be nice if Bay FC used their artists. I haven’t bought a Bay FC jersey because they are so boring/

15. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Really!!?? I don't know it's a bit much for me! Just possibly a little north of the Quakes / Ford "GR8 8's" t-shirt.

Earthshaker repped this.
  16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They also have these... any kit with the Muni "worm" logo as the sponsor is going to look good

upload_2024-3-27_21-31-55.png

17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Those I like.

18. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it very colorful and artsy... But i'm still thinking about it...

19. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would wear it................ to Margaritaville!

mjlee22 and JazzyJ repped this.
  20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stadium and facility update

https://www.oaklandrootssc.com/news/2024/04/05/stadium-and-facility-update/

Dear Oakland Roots and Soul SC Supporters, Members, and Investors,

We extend our heartfelt gratitude to you for the overwhelming support you demonstrated last month in advocating for Oakland Roots and Soul SC to play in the Coliseum in 2025. Your input was received positively by the Joint Powers Authority and resulted in the unanimous approval for Executive Director Henry Gardner to negotiate and execute an agreement with us.

As we chart our course toward a long-term future as an anchor institution in the Oakland and East Bay community, we write to update you on our efforts to (1) secure a lease at the Malibu Lot for the interim stadium, (2) acquire our training facility at 1220 Harbor Bay Parkway, and (3) finalize the terms for our 2025 season at the Coliseum.

Playing in the Coliseum:

• We are actively negotiating final terms, and waiting on the JPA to share comments on the agreement.
    • With renovations occurring at Cal State East Bay next year, the Coliseum is our best home venue option for 2025 in Oakland.
    • With the recent vacancy of the Coliseum, Oakland needs a new tenant to ensure continued usage and economic activity in deep East Oakland. Planning needs to start now to ensure an amazing fan experience and a full stadium!
    • We need your help to inform the County, as a member of the JPA, of the importance of having professional sports continue at the Oakland Coliseum.
    Building an Interim Stadium at the Malibu Lot Property:

• Presently, the Alameda County Board of Supervisors is deliberating a pivot from its intention to execute a ground lease, and instead is planning to sell the Malibu Lot property without completing lease negotiations with Oakland Roots and Soul SC. This is counter to what was initially envisioned via unanimous vote by the Board in September of 2023.
    • Leasing the Malibu Lot to Oakland Roots and Soul means ensuring the security of professional men’s and women’s sports in Oakland and Alameda County for the next 10 years.
    • We need the Board to continue with its commitment and complete a lease with Oakland Roots and Soul before selling the property.
    Acquiring the Training Facility at 1220 Harbor Bay Parkway:

• Earlier this year, the Oakland City Council unanimously approved the sale of 1220 Harbor Bay Parkway. The next step is for the County to approve and complete the transaction.
    • We have been meeting weekly on this transaction and, over this time period, the County’s perspective of the transaction has evolved to a point where we appear to be headed toward an impasse. We are hopeful the County and City can work together to resolve the issue and move the transaction forward.
    • The Training Facility will be the place where we develop local athletic talent, host community events like training more coaches for youth teams, and it has the potential to be a big part of the 2026 FIFA Men’s World Cup. We are concerned that the lack of pace is slowly whittling away Oakland’s opportunities to host top-tier nations for the FIFA World Cup – the biggest sporting event in the world.
    • We need the County to move forward with the sale of the training facility as quickly as possible or these opportunities will disappear.
    Earlier today, we submitted THIS letter to the County Board of Supervisors which highlights many of the concerns mentioned above about all three projects.

We ask you to reach out to all Alameda County Board of Supervisors via email and phone and express your concerns, as well as urge the County Supervisors to move forward with keeping professional sports truly rooted in Oakland and Alameda County.​

21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Not sure I’d wear it to a “Crazy Gaudy Hawaiian Shirt” party, but I digress.

22. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sounds like the A's are/weren't the only one having problems negotiating with Oakland.

23. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -----------------
    The Coliseum is too big for anything other than baseball or football.
    If I were spending other peoples money, I would demo it.
    Build maybe a 15-20,000 size rectangular stadium for Roots and Soul as primary, and then go after NCAA events like soccer, rugby, lacrosse. High school finals, medium size concerts etc. Paired with the sport arena, would still bring events to the area. The rest of the property is a one-time, got to do something good situation. Whether it be housing which is always needed or some type of develop to create jobs. I hope Oakland doesn't screw this up.

SJTillIDie and mjlee22 repped this.
  24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And ironically, the Quakes will probably set some Guinness World Record for shittiness.

xbhaskarx and don gagliardi repped this.