PBP: O44: E1.Netherlands - Japan.D2

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Gilmoy, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That game was a tale of two halves. Dutch were better in the first half and gassed in the 2nd, where Japan looked better and more dangerous.

Instead of bitching people should appreciate what a great game that was. Does it suck that it came down to that penalty kick? Yes, but if Japan finished one of its chances, or Miedema buried her chance in the first half the game would have ended differently.

Either way both teams left it all on the field and it was really a spectacular game that I will probably rewatch tonight or tomorrow.

Hats off to the Japanese ladies also for being so classy and humble even in a defeat of that magnitude, timing and heartbreak. Really have a lot of respect for them.

That said, UP THE ORANJE!! Really proud of the Leeuwinnen today.

kennytt, lil_one, Orange14 and 4 others repped this.
  2. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Are we describing some other play?

Sport Billy repped this.
  3. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FT 2-1. Netherlands 12(5)-(4)12 shots(sog), 3-2 corners, 2-1 offsides, 8-8 fouls, 13-3 tackles, 26-21 clearances, 55% possession, 82% (457/555) - (395/493) 80% passing.

Japan flipped a switch on at about 75', and had a stream of chances. But they never quite stopped Beerensteyn on the other end.

blissett and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  4. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the replay I though it hit her side, but I'm not 100% certain.

5. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Was so frustrated with Miedema there. Ruined good work from Groenen and van de Sanden and her own good work to get by the defender to only shoot right at the keeper.

Frysk Bloed repped this.
  6. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    What replays have people been seeing? It was a clear arm hit on a shot that was headed right into the top left corner.

Frysk Bloed repped this.
  7. thedexeter

thedexeter Member

Washington Spirit
    United States
    Jul 6, 2015
    More European + USA bias in this world cup by officials. The officiating on the whole just hasn't been good enough at this world cup - which I was afraid of going into it. Not to mention, the interpretation of the rules seem to be offensively minded. How are you supposed to defend anything anymore? Just stand there with your hands behind your back, even then they might call handball because it hit your shoulder via VAR. Just not good enough...

kennytt, duality72, blissett and 2 others repped this.
  8. LevskiSofia

LevskiSofia Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Japan were definitely the better team in this game. I am not sure that Nederlands were the favorites in this game. In FIFA rankings Netherlands are number 8, while Japan are number 7.

blissett repped this.
  9. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only saw one replay. I definitely need to look at that again, because I was not certain and the commentators all said hand ball.

10. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I do NOT care if the call was right or wrong by the laws of the game. It made my granddaughters cry and that makes it wrong.

Just for that and no other reason the ref should be flogged naked through every city in France and banned from ever refereeing again and then she should be punished.

11. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It has always been the case that if the ball hits your arm away from your body in the box it's a penalty ESPECIALLY if the ball is headed directly into the net. It's like people don't even watch this game outside of the World Cup sometimes.

JanBalk and Ethan Frank repped this.
  12. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    People have been saying, "I guess defenders should now have their arms in cuffs behind their back." On this play though, I'll guess I say you guys are saying defenders should just have their arms extended away from their bodies to block certain goals from happening. That shot was rifling right in on the view I got. So, people are saying stopping a certain goal, whether intentional or not, should not be penalized in any way. Fair enough.

13. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    The quality of the referees are just... shockingly bad and it doesn’t help women’ football either seeing talentless referees ruining game after game with questionable decisions at best lol

14. LevskiSofia

LevskiSofia Member

Nov 19, 2008
    The handball rules for penalty are a joke in general and are ruining soccer. Just remember that the Champions League final got ruined after Liverpool received a joke penalty in the first minute.

15. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    I hope your granddaughters at least enjoyed seeing Groenen giving her all. She couldn't make the defensive play on Japan's goal, but she was still an absolute menace defensively who finally got her long ball game more on point in the last third of the match.

Frysk Bloed repped this.
  16. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    How was that a joke penalty? lol he was standing in the box with his arm OVER HIS HEAD and it blocked a dangerous cross into the box. What do people think this is, basketball?

17. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't blame the refs, blame the rules or VAR. It's silly to blame the ref here.

kennytt and blissett repped this.
  18. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    They were the better side in the second half, but I generally hold off on saying "unlucky". You're not unlucky when you can't put away multiple chances.

19. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #219 blissett, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    This is indeed so wrong. :cry:

Please, tell you granddaughter that when a Japanese loses with honour, it's not a real loss and head can be kept high. :ninja::notworthy::ninja:

20. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I know it is emotional.

But it was textbook handling
    Under the new laws (effective 6/1/19):

IMG_9593.JPG

Orange14, Ethan Frank and Frysk Bloed repped this.
  21. thedexeter

thedexeter Member

Washington Spirit
    United States
    Jul 6, 2015
    I wasn't referring to this penalty exclusively, I watch a massive amount of football. I'm saying, generally, the officiating at this world cup hasn't been good enough.

If you want to talk specifics, what is Kumagai supposed to do in that situation? You can't constantly have your hands behind your back in the penalty box, it's not like her hand was in an unnatural position. Her hand was basically at her side and the ball hits the top of her arm/ shoulder area from a yard out at speed. She's not reaching her hand out to stop the ball. I have an issue with the implementation of the handball rule at this world cup, not the rule itself. But I feel this is going to be a point of contention between us.

blissett and duality72 repped this.
  22. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    What exactly do you expect them to do? Sulk around. First quarterfinal at a World Cup. Why are you bringing out the swearing?

Note: I thought the Dutch were the better team in the first 10 or so minutes of the second half. So, not the "whole" 2nd half, but I suppose that doesn't change your point.

23. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Yes that’s true probably, I am beyond mad

24. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Based on the lone replay the broadcast gave me, it was the chest first.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  25. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It's also worth noting that this has ALWAYS been called this way, whether or not the rule was written that way before.

You cannot have your arms away from your body, making yourself bigger, in the box. Period. It's even worse as you can see from that still that it would have been a sure goal if not for the arm blocking the shot.