NYCFC, Wilpon and 2012 hope

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by napolisoccer, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY

Um, no. Please look up the definition of "professional" and what type of league the PDL is.[/QUOTE]

semi-professional is still professional.

2. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Players in the PDL, unlike the league I was referring to, are not allowed to be paid for playing, which makes it an amateur league.

If players were paid for playing, it would impact their NCAA eligibility.

3. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I the teams were pro-am mixes. I guess I'm wrong.

4. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry... but our mission statement has always been supporting
    soccer in NYC...
    from top down.....
    St.Johns, BK Knights... teams in the Cosmopolitian league...
    are organization is less about being MLS fixated, and more about
    showing the world that NYC loves soccer, and will support it at every
    level.

5. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wikipedia is great.... except when it's wrong. Try the USL PDL page.

PDL players can be paid, which makes them professional. A thread over in the USL forum suggests that college players can play against pros but can not be on the same team as pros.

6. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thank You! Seems like people live and Die by Wikipedia - its not correct all the time - in fact people edit it THINK they know everything but they really dont!

For example we had a talk that the Jets were named because of the -ets of NY - which is NOT THE CASE as the Jets were named the Jets because of LGA Airport and because in that time Jets were the modern thing - but someone linked Wikipedia which said that meanwhile the Jets homepage says nothing of it!

Sorry - I like Wiki but its not Correct and its not the FINAL WORD!

7. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If some players are indeed paid in the PDL, then so be it, I still don't think most people would call the Brooklyn Knights a "professional" team. Not to say they're unworthy of support of course if that's what you like.

8. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    That's what a lot of the english say about the MLS. Nice to see you've taken a page from the eurosnobs.

And I hope you remember the "most people would call" argument next time you argue that Red Bull is a NY team. Remember, I don't think "most people would call" New Jersey New York.

9. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish people would make up their minds..
    first we don't support our "local" team according the the ESC,
    then we get berated when we actually do support them.
    I guess we just differ on our opinion of what "local" is...
    and to be honest....
    so far we've been as a group to both one Knights game, and one RedBull
    game...
    and we had a lot more fun in Brooklyn to be honest.

10. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, no. Does anyone on Brooklyn get paid 5 figures? Does anyone get paid at all? If not, that's fine, but that means you're not a "professional" team. No worries, there are a few teams in the FA Cup Third Round today that aren't "professional" either.

Their website seems to indicate that they don't get paid.

Most people not in the Borough Boys would say northern New Jersey is in the New York City metro area. And by most, it's a two digit percentage starting with a 9 and followed by a number close to 9.

Considering the dump of the stadium Red Bull (there's a space between the two words) currently play in, that doesn't surprise me. But they're fixing that as fast as they can.

Maybe we could see New York v Brooklyn at RBA in the U.S. Open Cup one day.

11. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ohhhhh Now I understand you!!! You follow the EPL! Nice talking to you.

12. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    honestly, 90 something percent of all people would answer "New York" when posed with the question "where is Harrison, New Jersey."? Fascinating. I have to get out to more mental institutions I guess.

13. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just as you have every right to define local by your own terms, i have every right to find that definition petty.

Also, its Red Bulls fans, please dont attribute every comment you hear from a NYRB fan as ESC. When have you been berated for supporting NYRB?

Then support the Brooklyn side, honestly this idea RedBull fans need any of you is in your head. You represent a very very small minority of MLS ready fans un the region, i recruited more people in one evening at a playoff watch party in Manhatten than you have in your entire club. So go ahead and have fun at the Knights game, organize behind them if that is the only way you are going to enjoy live football. Hell before MLS that is what many of us did with other small local sides. But overall i find the vast majoity of soccer fans that are not predisposed against MLS in NYC to be willing and interested in the experiance we offer.

I dont know why you all just dont organize as a NYC supporters club and rep that and support NYRB. Its not like you are going to have an MLS time in your backyard anytime in the near future if ever...and i would tend to lean on the if ever side (as i always have). If you have some passion to give why let all this stop you, why support the Knights out of spite?

Whatever, do what makes you happy because that is really all you can do in the end and live with yourself.

14. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I hope this is true, because any time I've been in a room with ESC members, and admittedly it's been some time now, the recruitment efforts were non-existent. And it shows in the stands, doesn't it?

15. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We dont support them in spite - we went to the RR and Brooklyn games as a nice cheap way to enjoy a match - we got a great response from both teams - the Knights players were especially receptive of us and we enjoyed it - so the front office approached us - when you get things like that - yea - your going to support a cause!

16. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad, I didn't realize only the Argentinian league was acceptable as a league to follow.

17. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    At least you are finally realizing it! But on a serious note, if you can reference anything OUTSIDE of the EPL, then maybe we can converse on a more realistic level.

I'm not saying that the EPL sucks, as evidenced by the amount of people that watch it, but its not the end all of futbol/soccer/football worldwide.

18. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    yes, instead of this the middle finger seen in my avatar.

19. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Both Red Bull fans and ESC members both being attributed to what i was speaking about, ( I can name them individually if you want).
    also, btw...it's great how we see some of these ESC members in person, and all of a sudden they're quiet and reverant around us....like we don't know who you guys are online and in person.

2. As the Borough Boys, we made an effort early in our formation to officially have no stance on supporting an MLS team other than our future one. Infact, many of our members happen to like RedBull.

3. Our goal is to make NYC the greatest city in the US for soccer support.
    So between the ESC getting a huge following for the Bulls, and us growing support for local PDL and the USMNT, we feel that we can accomplish this, with or without a second team in the City.

Now, if any RedBull fan can give us a hardtime for us wanting Soccer to succeed in NYC or think's we're idiots for supporting the PDL.....
    Then you just inheirently hate us.
    We have no issue with RedBull Fans or the ESC....

20. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I do, but I can be a dick.

21. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that's why we love you :D

22. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If will be chosen Miami and Vancouver for 2011, I think that if Wilpon is still truly interested, we have great chances for 2012 expansion. In fact Atlanta will be not ready before than 2013 and so the our main opponents will be only Portland, Montreal and St Louis ( I don't consider Ottawa a serious candidate ). What is your opinion ?

23. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Is possible this scenario ?

2010 : Philly and Miami
    2011 : Vancouver
    2012 : NYC and 1 among Montreal, St Louis or Portland

24. austinwetherby

austinwetherby New Member

Dec 22, 2007
    New York City
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tis is new york, I would like to see a owner rather than wilpon, unless he does things quickly, looking at dates around 2013 is alittle to far away, but im willing to wait

25. Jaydawgg22

Jaydawgg22 Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Astoria Queens NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest every esc guy that ive meet has been a class guy, i have no problem with you guys, i just can't support that ownership and that corp. as i think it represents alot of what is wrong with sports.