NYC Subway and Bus Strike

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Matt in the Hat, Dec 20, 2005.

1. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    hmm..interesting how some NY's can't even sympathize with the MTA employees and siding with Bloomberg and Pataki on this one.

2. Olesh

Olesh Member

Jul 24, 1999
    South Bay
    I doubt this is what did it, but it's pretty disrespectful when management refuses to negotiate in good faith with a union, and instead insists on moving directly to arbitration.

3. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    So, the workers individually are not being fined two days pay for each day out, correct? Or did I miss something.

4. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    i've heard (friend of a friend works there, so how reliable i don't know) that it will be close to that.
    why do you say 'especially' this year?

5. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Well, that's a pretty dumb thing to say...

6. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The union should be summarily crushed like a maggot. These guys have excellent job security, pay and bennies. In return, they are not allowed to go on strike. The million dollar a day fine is too low; the fine should be tripled.

7. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    I just saw him interviewed on Channel 2 news. He was not backing down during this interview. I wonder if he walked.

8. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    From the outside looking in it seems just the opposite. A 3.6% annual pay increase, an extra day off, no pension/benefit cuts for current employees and you still can to retire @ 55. What's not to like? The otherside counters with demands for 6-8% annual pay increases and the right to retire @ 50.

What am I missing?

9. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I know for a fact that's false. Cravath and Sullivan recently released their figures, although a few firms have since then increased them by 5K. Senior associates will see approximately 70/80K. And there aren't a lot of senior associates at the top NYC firms. The hours are too bad and the transition to in house at banks/clients too attractive.

You've likely been given different information regarding different "classes". Only the very senior MoFo associates are getting 70K.

I'd just like to say a big thank you to Paul Weiss who increased on Cravath and Sullivan's initial announcement.

10. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    The most important part: no 2 tier package. Everything else is fluff.

11. Olesh

Olesh Member

Jul 24, 1999
    South Bay
    You're right, It probably opens me up to being brought up on terrorist charges under the Patriot Act...but that's a different thread.

12. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    140K is exactly the compensation of a first year Skadden associate, sans bonus.

Why? This has been a fabulous year for banks and law firms.

13. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Militants have a tendency to either hijack unions or force the incumbent management to adopt a more aggressive negotiating stance. If you've seen the heads of any of the major NYC unions (hospital, teachers, police, fire, etc.) in action, you'd realize this. The city & state also grant ridiculous perks to union management: the right to collect a full salary & pension without performing any offical duties, while also collecting a union salary! The labor union management is as corrupt as the governments it battles. This is covered up by antagonistic posturing.

14. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Tomorrow, the court will decide on fines for individual union heads, then it is expected to impose the "two days pay for each day out" penalty on workers.

Saw a portion of a Toussand interview. He's going to appeal the fines on the union and expects to buy some time that way. As to the fines on the workers, he seems to think they can be negotiated away in the manner of receiving enough of a wage increase for the workers that it covers some of the fine and lessens the blow on their paychecks.

15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    So with no support from HQ why not accept arbitration?

16. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Thanks, this connects the dots.

17. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Well, that is a win for the rank and file.

18. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    This is sadly true.

19. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    so add that and the bonus, still not a bad pay day.

I thought the same thing.
    my friend down here at MorganLewis is running total comp this year around $150.

nic, who is tossing out the biggest bonus this year?

20. Metroweenie

Metroweenie New Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    I agree with everything except the bold, but

"MTA sucks johnson" is not equal to "TWU deserves what they're asking for"

As far as the bold goes, that's a total myth.
    http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=1860&dept_id=132987&newsid=15630259&PAG=461&rfi=9

Not to mention that people who live in the suburbs and work in the city and shop in the city aren't tourists. The fare decreases benefited everyone, and brought money into the city. Or they did until the strike at least.

21. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This whole strike is downright ridiculous, and its idiotic to make the TWU the villains here, the MTA are as much to blame here as the TWU, if not more. It was the greedy and SELFISH MTA board asswipes that took so long to start negotiations to begin with, let alone waste their entire surplus before the deadline to not have to face up to not making use of it after those unfair fair hikes.

Sure, it was irrational in a sense for the TWU to strike at a time like this but for shytes sakes, they've been asking for contract negotiations for the longest time. Threatening with a strike is the most extreme and the most effective way of getting what they want. Who knows...if they wouldn't have striked, the whole thing would just be going in circles which it has before the actual strike today.

This is just irresponsible and shameful organization on behalf of the supposed best public transportation system in the world.

Bloomberg should shut his mouth...first he refused to get involved then he bullshytes his mayoral duties......makes me sick....

Excuse my rant but I'm getting screwed over with finals here.......

22. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Whoever said it was the best public transportation system in the world?!?

For some GOOD strike news ... the USSF has agreed to terms with the men's national players, so no more worries about labor issues interfering with World Cup preparations.

23. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Oh, no argument there. A 4th year at Skadden, with a full bonus, makes a little bit less than 250K a year.

Oh, its Wachtell, as always. Biggest bonuses, worst quality of life.

24. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For as much as I think that the TWU should have accepted the offer to go to arbitration and shouldn't have gone out on strike, this story about the MTA's actions in the final hours of the negotiations last night shows that they're run by idiots.

25. nowayjose

nowayjose New Member

Apr 24, 2005
    How much longer is this thing going to last?