NYC Subway and Bus Strike

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Matt in the Hat, Dec 20, 2005.

1. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't we just outsource this to India or day laborers?

2. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Extra" services? That's their job. Walking a dog on off-hours is an extra service; keeping packages until you get home is regular business.

Total aside -- tipping my super last Christmas was a complete waste of money, as he didn't help us do squat on a bunch of different projects despite our requests. Our doormen (one weeknights, the other weekends), on the other hand, are great guys. We'll gladly up our gifts to them this year.

3. Metroweenie

Metroweenie New Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Striking or pay increases isn't going to get rid of whatever corruption or waste you seem to think is causing the MTA to lose money.

I don't trust the MTA either, but you can always trust that: A. future budgets will show deficits and B. Deficits will lead to fare increases.

The MTA is so stupid for publicizing the billion dollar surplus, and then using it on the holiday fare breaks. I'm sure their budgets are made up anyway, so why couldn't they just say they broke even?

4. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This just in: judge finds TWU in contempt of court, fines them $1 million per day of strike. No word yet on the $25k per violation request.

If the int'l union is not responsible for this fine, Local 100 just went bankrupt.

5. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard somewhere (don't remember where, sorry) that these kind of fines tend to get waived when a settlement agreement is reached. So I'd think it's possible that that is what happens here.

6. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    A judge in Brooklyn Supreme Court has just ruled TWU Local 100 in contempt of an injunction against a strike which was issued last week. The union is to be fined $1 million a day starting today, as is stated in the Taylor Law. Individual fines with most likely be issued tomorrow.

TWU International president Michael O'Brien has announced that the strike is unauthorized and illegal, being in violation of its constitution. Apparently, they have the power to strip Local 100 president Roger Toussant of his post.

7. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I heard Skadden was plunking down a figure close to that, too.
    MoFo is about half that.
    That is all I know about this years law bonuses...

8. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard an interview with Mayor Koch this morning and he said the exact opposite. He said the fines aren't even negotiable. Then a retired transit worker talked about how he lost a days pay from every check for the next 7 weeks following the return to work.

9. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I keep hearing this billion dollar surplus bandied about. Does anybody have a link for this? I have a hard time believing that such a heavily subsidized system has a surplus this large. if it is true, New Yorkers need to be getting some extra money back in their taxes this year.

10. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    so the democrats are going to come out in support of a union that, by striking, is hurting the poor and working classes?
    I love it...

11. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    why are you not praising the MTA to make sure that their future liabilities are covered? liberals bitch when the airlines and auto companies are hurting 'working' class america by going into bankruptcy and dumping their pensions. yet, the MTA is making sure that they will be able to cover them in the future, and they're criticised for not giving enough money away?

12. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very interesting.

13. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MTA is a government agency and thus should not be trusted. Not to say that the TWU is right or anything, but don't think the MTA is this virtuous organization.

14. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Because they have lied before about their financial picture to raise fares and cut service for one. The MTA is all the bad things about government, and all the bad things about private enterprises, with none of the good. Not trusting the MTA is hardly a "liberal" view.

15. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Just heard the union's head lawyer at today's hearing quoted as saying the union will be bankrupt as of day two of the strike.

16. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't the TWU secure a $5 million loan? That should hold them for a few days.

17. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    Once again I'm very happy to live in Chicago instead of somewhere else, like New York.

18. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're happy too

19. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I am very sure that the Skadden bonuses are not at that number. That may approximate total annual compensation for a young Skadden associate, but is not likely to be the bonus for one, ESPECIALLY this year.

20. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Interesting comment from someone who stated earlier in post #28: "I work for the State of New Jersey"! Since government can only work through its employees, how does this comment relate to you?
    TV report that the MTA has declared an impasse, which results in the appointment of an independent state mediator, although it's not an NLRB back-to-work order. Also, the TWU has been fined $1 million. Their HQ is worth about $60 million, so the TWU might want to reconsider this job action. A one-day sickout without pickets might have been a better move!

21. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that the local or national HQ?

22. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Just found out the union testified in court today that they have $3.5 million in the bank.

The International has issued a statement telling the local workers to report back to their work assignments as scheduled. Toussant seems to be in hiding. No reaction to the court ruling, no comments about the International's stance, no response to their statement.

23. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Maybe he's just having trouble getting around!

24. Olesh

Olesh Member

Jul 24, 1999
    South Bay
    Lest we not forget last year with the MTA crying poverty, then trying to finagle the deal to sell the land above their rail yards to the Jets at well below market value.

Couple that with the current surplus creating fare reductions which really only affect tourists, and I say torch the MTA headquarters.

The contempt the MTA has shown their patrons and employees is disgusting.

25. nowayjose

nowayjose New Member

Apr 24, 2005

I wonder what made them snap this time.