NYC/NJ Olympic Soccer Stadium

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by dl, May 11, 2004.

1. dl

dl New Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Cambridge, MA
    Tuesday May 11, 2004 USA Today Sports section's front page story is about the NYC bid for the 2012 summer Olympics. Page 2 has a map of the potential venue locations. The soccer and basketball venues are across the river in NJ. I'm wondering if these are in downtown Newark (north of the airport) or Harrison? And is there is any cooperation between the NYC2012 Olympic Committee and the Metrostars? Obviously we don't want to wait 8 years for a SSS for the Metros, but maybe the Olympic Committee can help move the process in Harrison (or anywhere in the NY/NJ area) along a bit?

2. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    The current map shows basketball and soccer at the Meadowlands. Giants Stadium for soccer, and Brendan Bryne Arena.

3. MiamiAce

MiamiAce New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Miami, USA
    I don't know if this helps your cause, but I know the NY Jets have been working and planning on a new American football stadium in the heart of Manhattan. The early designs look very nice and the planners have already said it would be used for the 2012 Olympics if NY gets the bid. My point is, maybe the Metros can move into this stadium as well?

"...creating a truly unique venue able to host big-time events ranging from the Super Bowl to World Cup soccer matches to headline concerts and conventions"

[​IMG]
    http://www.newyorkjets.com/stadium/
    http://www.kpf.com/Projects/jets.htm

BTW, I hate the fvckin Jets.

4. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    This project only cares about big time events, not MLS. fook em.....

5. dl

dl New Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Cambridge, MA
    The Olympic project will need a place to play the soccer matches and it's likely that they would use the potential Jets stadium as the main stadium and not for events like soccer. They've shown in the past that they like to have smaller stadia for soccer.

6. needsashower

needsashower New Member

May 2, 2004
    down by the river
    Tickets to soccer matches are amongst the most sought after events at the Olympics. They are usually held in the biggest stadiums available. It's one of the few events, if not the only one, that makes money. At the Atlanta Olympics the best single event was the US v. China women's final.

IF the Jets ownership had any brains at all, they would buy the Cosmos license and join MLS ASAP and actually get some use out of their stadium over the summer.

7. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Soccer is taking place in Giants Stadium, a 80K seat stadium.

8. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Check out this website devoted to the new stadium.
    http://westsidestadium.com/

See if you can email them and find out what their position is on soccer. Not just Olympic or World Cup soccer, but domestic MLS soccer...........

And on another note........
    http://www.fieldofschemes.com/news/archives/000572.html

Two more stadiums for NYC?

As if New York didn't have enough new stadiums in the hopper, there are now reports that Sean Kelly, head of Ireland's Gaelic Athletic Association, will be traveling to Manhattan to kick off a drive for a 10,000-seat Gaelic football facility and accompanying 3,000-seat stadium, to be sited on a "25-acre prime Manhattan real estate site which was donated by the city of New York." (For those unfamiliar with Gaelic football, it's a lot like Aussie Rules football, only with fewer Aussies.)

The Irish Examiner clarifies: the "prime Manhattan real estate" is actually Randall's Island, best known for being the plot of land that holds the Triborough Bridge up. "We have been granted a license by the city, we have the land and it's a matter of developing the funding necessary to do it. At this stage we're looking for the money for the initial phases, basically to get the field, dressing rooms and stands together, and we're talking in the region of $5m," New York GAA president Liam Bermingham told the Examiner. Bermingham also said the whole project would cost $45 million; he didn't say how it would be paid for.

Maybe the new Randalls Island stadium could be a good place for Metrostars US Open Cup matches or other non-crowd-drawing exhibition matches?

9. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    No, make it an expansion team. Empire FC. Or NeoCosmos! There'll be a great rivalry.

The MetroStars can come visit New York's rinky-dink 80,000-seat shoebox, and NY can go visit the Metros 25,000-seat big-ass cathedral in Harrison, NJ.

10. Carson Galaxy

Carson Galaxy Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Downey, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep in mind the Olympic soccer tournament usually takes place across the host country. This happened in LA '84, Atlanta '96 and Sydney '00 among others I'm sure. Of course, the Final and other matches would take place in NY but don't expect all matches to take place in NY.

11. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    So NYC does / did have plans for an MLS stadium in Queens.......

http://www.newyorkgames.org/news/archives/000260.html

October 02, 2003

• Flushing City's 'Best Alternative' For Stadium
      Newsday The "best alternative" to the Bloomberg administration's goal of an Olympic stadium on the West Side of Manhattan is the area around Shea Stadium, according to internal memos by the nonprofit group working with the city to snag the 2012 summer games.

"Construction costs would be substantially lower than on the West Side," reads a Jan. 22, 2002, memo, adding that this "fall-back alternative" next to Shea could be converted into a 40,000-seat major-league soccer stadium after the Olympics....

12. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please keep in mind that the NYC 2012 bid, is a real estate scam.

I have that info from someone who used to work on the bid.

13. Tyree

Tyree Member

Dec 29, 1998
    Columbus, Ohio
    Don't forget Rutgers stadium in New Brunswick...holds over 45k.

14. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Of course it is. The whole point is to build a new "downtown" business district on the West Side.

15. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
  16. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
  17. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No offense, but for $2 billion, you'd think you could get a stadium that wasn't so fugly.

18. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Ralph Nader denounced the construction of stadiums in New York the other day.

Yet another reason to support building them.

19. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand why we keep bringing this issue of the Olympic stadium up. I mean it has absoleutly nothing to do with MLS so who cares? :confused:

20. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Think about it.

Metrostars in Harrison.
    NY Cosmos in new Olympic stadium.

It's River Plates wet dream!

21. angrywhiteman

angrywhiteman Member

May 26, 2004
    CO Mountains
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sooner or later the MLS will add a team in NYC proper. Whether theyre the Cosmos (with Pele in the formt office) or another team (I like Empire FC/ New York Empire), they should get a new stadium. MetroStars in Harrison, Cosmos/Empire in Cosmos/Empire Stadium on Long Island. Nobody wants to play in a $2 BILLION (yes, in bold caps) stadium that looks like something out of the Jetsons.

22. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Long Island???!!!

Let's not louse up my wet dream before it's begun. Can we kindly put staiums in places all people can actually get to by public transportation. Especially immigrants who aren't exactly rich and use sensible things like subways. Can we stop catering to the goddamn suburbs.

If the West Side stadium goes down, then one will be built at Flushing Meadow--not Long Island. The Jets will still go ahead even if the Olympic bid fails, which it probably will. Paris is way ahead. But the Jets will not be staying in Giants Stadium no matter what. They'll form some partnership with the Mets and a complex will be built in Queens.

Add a NYC futbol club, ChampionsWorld matches...

Come on, who the hell wouldn't support this?

23. angrywhiteman

angrywhiteman Member

May 26, 2004
    CO Mountains
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was under the impression that Flushing Meadows is on Long Island (saying LI, I meant Queens/ Brooklyn, not Nassau County). BTW, that would be an excellent site for a stadium, or perhaps your Prospect Park, where I hear they're doing some new fields?

24. gothamite

gothamite New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    New York City, natch
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes, Flushing Meadows is on Long Island, with the rest of Queens and Brooklyn to boot.

The best plan I heard yet was to put a new NYC MLS team in a soccer-only stadium in Long Island City, which is the Queens neighborhood closest to the river. Easy access to subways, Long Island Rail Road, and the Long Island Expressway. Basically, any way that one might actually choose to get to the games, this location would be perfect for. Plus incredible Midtown skyline views....

25. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    They can build a stadium in Prospect Park any time they want. I won't object. I'd love to have a stadium staring at me every time I look out the front window.