NY Times Article - Stretching: The Truth

Discussion in 'Coach' started by equus, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we copy and paste or add this to a different thread?

This isn't a free-to-the-public article.

2. equus

equus Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Sorry, I got the URL from Digg. You can delete the thread if you need to.

3. snolly g

snolly g Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    try this link instead.

otherwise, i just googled "stretching: the truth" (include the quotation marks). was able to access without signing in.

4. GKbenji

GKbenji Member+

Jan 24, 2003
    Fort Collins CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Old news for anyone who's made any attempt to keep current. All my teams and training sessions start out with dynamic stretching. I do leave a couple of minutes after for anyone who feels they need some static stretching on their own (it's a habit for some), but most of the warm-up is dynamic.

Now, what the article doesn't mention is that static stretching after exercise is beneficial. The best gains in flexibility occur then (although the jury is out on how important flexibility is for many sports), and--more importantly--the static stretching has been shown to reduce DOMS, or Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. Note that static stretches must be held for a minimum of 30 seconds to achieve this, and better yet up to 60 seconds each. A good post-exercise stretch can be critical if you are performing multiple workouts in a short time, like for two-a-days in preseason, or after each game in a weekend tournament.

5. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    I have been starting practices with both static and dynamic stretches and then end with static stretches is this a good way to go?

6. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea. I have my girls do static back stretches and hamstring stretches after our dynamic stuff.

7. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like you're covering all bases.

8. GKbenji

GKbenji Member+

Jan 24, 2003
    Fort Collins CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of the benefit comes from the dynamic stretching; I just leave a little time for players to statically stretch anything they feel they need to, on their own. For some, it's habit. For some, they actually may need static stretches for certain muscles or muscle groups.

But the days of standing in a circle doing stretches and counting to 10 are gone. It's a waste of time, according to the latest research. Even post-exercise, the stretching needs to be longer to have the beneficial effect.

9. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's your pre-training or pre-match sequence of dynamic stretches? I'm always curious what different coaches do. Even mine changes year-to-year.

10. ranova

ranova Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Besides some good soccer specific books (the NSCAA has a great one), I use this website as a reference for any question on fitness training: http://www.exrx.net/index.html

There is a lot of information there but there is a search function to help. For stretches to prevent common problems see this page and look for the link for "inflexibilities" under "Biomechanical Deficiencies" http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html

11. GKbenji

GKbenji Member+

Jan 24, 2003
    Fort Collins CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mine changes too, sometimes even day-to-day. I'll also let players (captains) choose their own, ones they prefer or have picked up elsewhere. I don't think the exact selection of dynamic stretches is critical, as long as all major muscle groups and joints are covered.

Here's a sample of a "standard" sequence I'd use:

* Light jog around the field
    * High-knees jog
    * Walking Lunges
    * Straight-leg kicks (aka Frankensteins)
    * Knee-huggers (hug knee to chest, alternating while walking)
    * Knee swooshes (move knee in a large circle, both inside-to-outside and outside-to-inside)
    * Butt kickers
    * Leg swings
    * Arm swings (side to side, windmill forward and backward)

Other elements I'll add sometimes are various trunk twists, jumping and crouching movements, and lateral movement like cariocas.

12. Habitat

Habitat New Member

Oct 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    The article doesn't but the video does. Good info though because I'm sore from yesterdays games

13. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    How is this for a dynamic warm up? I think the actual stretches are very good, but the order might need some fiddling with. Any opinions or comments would be gladly taken.

Dynamic warm-up- A) Pull right knee to chest, lunge to the ground on right leg, twist to the right, then do everything with the left side, then right, then left, etc.
    B) Lunges-left, right, and middle
    C) Calf Stretches
    D) Pairs- Leg stretches
    E) Leg swings- Lying on back with your hands out to the side try to bring your legs across your body trying to bring them up by your opposite hand.
    F) Opposite leg swings- Lying on stomach with hands out to the side try to bring your legs across your body trying to bring them up by your opposite hand.
    G) Opposite Arm & Leg Raise- Lay on stomach with arms out straight and raise one leg and the opposite arm as high as you can without letting your stomach get off the ground, switching arms and legs each time
    H) Crossovers
    I) External Crossovers
    J) High knees
    K) Right, Left, Up for a header
    L) Karaoke
    M) Kick Leg Straight up in the air, hit with opposite hand
    N) Hand walks- Stand straight, put arms out on the ground, slowly inch forward walking to your hands, and start over again.
    O) Spiderman- One leg to one arm, alternating while starting in pushup position
    P) Long strides- Forward then backwards running- run while taking the longest strides you can possibly take.
    Q) Sprint

14. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    Can't forget the cool down after either.

The technical reasons for the cool down, and it is not a waste of time for the player.

During exercise, primarily cardiovascular exercise, the blood is
    diverted from the internal organs to the working muscles. The
    alternative contraction and relaxation of these muscles during exercise
    is what promotes the return of the blood to the heart. If you simply
    stop exercising, there is a tendency for this large volume of blood to
    simply pool in the extremities. With a reduced return of blood to the
    heart, the heart may not be able to pump sufficient blood to the brain,
    and dizziness or fainting may result. By continuing to exercise, albeit
    at a lower intensity, during the cooldown, the blood will eventually be
    diverted away from the extremities and back to the viscera and other
    internal organs.

-------------------------
    Another reason to perform a cooldown is that muscle and blood lactic
    acid levles decrease more rapidly during execise-recovery than during a
    rest-recovery. Therefore, a cool down would promote faster recovery from
    the fatigue of exercise.
    -----------------
    Another reason for Cool-down the entire concept of actions after exercise, is to maintain or increase flexibility. After hard
    exercise, an athletes' range of motion will be less after recovery. Stretching after these hard work-outs keep the athletes'
    flexibility up in their normal ranges. Also, the best time for connective tissue
    range of motion increase from stretching is when the muscle and surrounding
    tissues are most warm.