NY Red Bulls vs Seattle at Red Bull Arena Sat-March 19-7:30PM 2011 MLS Season Opener Game Thread [R]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by ag nigrin, Mar 7, 2011.

1. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: NY Red Bulls vs Seattle at Red Bull Arena Sat-March 19-7:30PM 2011 MLS Season Opener Game Thread

I have to strongly agree with you there. A friend of mine was gone for better than 20 minutes in the second half of this game because he just had to have a chorizo. Eat, drink before the game and avoid missing major minutes, plus the nightmare that is the RBA concessions. This isn't a 4hr throwball/baseball game.

2. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: NY Red Bulls vs Seattle at Red Bull Arena Sat-March 19-7:30PM 2011 MLS Season Opener Game Thread

The problem I have is that at halftime, when I wanted a beer, it took 20 minutes to get to the front of the line, and then they couldn't get my members card to work. Since they seemed to figure all of this out as the season wore on last year I was shocked and frustrated that they went back to square one. Should not have happened. They had a year's worth of experience.

I never get up to get food/drink during the game. Whoever does should get the appropriate 20 minute penalty for doing so.

3. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

Again - these are not professionals. They don't work for Aramark, or Marriott or Harry M. Stevens or SMG. It is likely that many of those people working at RBA, it was their first night.

They didn't have a soft opening to practice. They get hit with a shit storm of people that wanted a beer between 8:15 and 8:30 and were not up to the task.

As far as I know these concessions are run by RB, and they are not in the business of selling concessions.

4. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

IMO this season opener was even WORSE than last years and they probably had ~3,000 less people there.

I'm also assuming that they had SOME holdover in staff from last year and last year's staff got their shit together as the season wore on. So...I'm confused. Said people should not have forgotten how to do their job.

Also, your last point: Concessions are a sourse of income. RB wants income. How could they not be invested? If they are making a $2 profit off a beer or soda and everyone in the stadium buys one they've paid for one of their cheapest players in one game!

5. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

That's different than what you said originally - I never get up during the game other than to leave a little early before the half sometimes to get a jump on the line. I also sit on the aisle and it can be annoying when folks are up and down but it's not that big of a problem as soccer is less like football with all the timeouts etc.

6. MonoLoco

MonoLoco New Member

Sep 23, 2010
    H-Town
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not out of shape, just a little older and not as full of energy like I was in my 20's.
    I'm also on the aisle, but I stand, chant, cheer, pogo for the entire 90 minutes and if someone wants to get past me, they walk behind me.
    I sat in section 217 for the first game last year, ever since then I've been in the supporter sections. Enjoy your aisle seat that your glued to for the full 90.
    Different strokes for different folks.

And there is nothing wrong with too much beer!